Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,834 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Master Screen Protector Thread

Tip us?

Poi25
Old
(Last edited by Poi25; 15th June 2014 at 03:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Phone Master Screen Protector Thread

iLLumiShield - PET Film - Front & Back - $13.95

"...perfect fit. Almost too close so you have to be pretty precise putting it on. Front and back. I've also been using a pen with it and no scratches except when my pen had a metal burr on it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay "Explosion Proof" - 0.4mm Tempered Glass - Front - $10.95

"It feels nice when you put it on...I like the feel of it better than the normal screen. It was hard to install well for me but probably not as hard as I made it out to be. I had it perfect but removed it to get the thing from under it out and that is where things went wrong."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armorz Stealth Extreme R - 0.4mm Tempered Glass - Front - $49.95

"...a bit on the pricey side but i love it."

Glass-M Premium - ???mm Tempered Glass - Front & Back (single pieces available) - $31.50

"I have Glass-M front+back for mine and I absolutely love it. (Removed factory ASF as well). My notes

* It is really smooth. Like freshly made toffee it is so smooth it feels faintly greasy (but it is not). On an almost completely flat table the phone will slowly slide across the surface by itself due to a slope you can't see (be careful)

* I believe touch sensitivity is improved. Finicky DPI sliders in Paranoid Android setups give me no trouble now - before jumping 239,243,241 when I really want 240 dpi exactly. Pencil also works perfectly as a stylus.

* I believe screen brightness and clarity are improved. Subjective and probably due to removal of the ASF (and its invisible tiny scratches)

* Extra glass makes the phone a bit thicker but also much stiffer and I liked this. I also have a Z1 and I miss how solid that phone felt in my hand. Ultra always felt a bit too flimsy (bendy). I also had to widen the slot on my DK30 (sandpaper glued to a flat stick aka big emory board)

* Getting alignment correct is tricky - glass-M slightly smaller than the phone screen edges. Mine went on crooked but I can live with that.

* No dust or bubbles in mine. Used the shower trick of old school film photographers. Long hot steamy shower will effectively clean the room of even tiny dust particles.

* Removing the ASF is a truly harrowing experience (see the other thread). Halfway through you *will* have an "Oh God what have I done" moment. Still totally worth it.

Hope my ramble helps someone. In summary really happy with the Glass-M."

Poi25
Old
(Last edited by Poi25; 15th June 2014 at 03:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Hey guys,

I'm getting to the point where I'm looking for a high quality, preferably tempered glass, screen protector. My ASF is getting more and more ****ed up day by day (I'm starting to see how bad it really is). I've done some research and found the screen protectors that appear early on in google's search results and through various XDA threads, but I'm curious what other people are using/have used.

I've decided to put this thread together so there can be a repository for screen protector information. This way people who want to protect their ZU from day 1 or those who are going to remove the ASF and cover the phone with something else can have a centralized place to get the information they need.

If you don't mind, please reply to this thread with information regarding the screen protector you are currently using or have used, what kind it is (PET, tempered glass, other), price, the link to purchase it, pictures (if possible), and what you thought of it/if you recommend it.

I'll update the thread (post 2) with the information as it comes in. Hopefully this can help everyone.

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 301
I am so tempted to get these front and back

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-Antirefle...reen+protector
Device 1 LG G3 D855 16gb Gold rooted (towelroot)
Device 2 Sony Z Ultra 16gb white, GPE Rom 4.4.4
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken pandu)
Device 4 Nvidia shield stock 4.4.2
Device 5 Dell Alienware M17 R5 16gb ram, I7 4700mq R9 M290X 4gb.

Poi25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post
I am so tempted to get these front and back

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-Antirefle...reen+protector
Try it, let me know how it is.

jutley
Old
Thanks Meter 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poi25 View Post
Try it, let me know how it is.
Will do I have ordered it will give some feedback on it.
Device 1 LG G3 D855 16gb Gold rooted (towelroot)
Device 2 Sony Z Ultra 16gb white, GPE Rom 4.4.4
Device 3 IPad air 16gb silver (jailbroken pandu)
Device 4 Nvidia shield stock 4.4.2
Device 5 Dell Alienware M17 R5 16gb ram, I7 4700mq R9 M290X 4gb.

jacktrck
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Anyone know a good dry screen protector? The one that came with the spigen hybrid case I got for my n5 is great. Wish I could get the same for my soon to be xzu.

Poi25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktrck View Post
Anyone know a good dry screen protector? The one that came with the spigen hybrid case I got for my n5 is great. Wish I could get the same for my soon to be xzu.
As you can see, I'm trying to build this thread. There's not really much info yet.

diji1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I've got a Skinomi protector for XZU, haven't applied it yet ... not sure what the advantages or downsides are of removing the ASF ATM. I'll prolly apply it tomorrow though.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE 6833 / Stock .757 / DooMKernel v16

Poi25
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by diji1 View Post
I've got a Skinomi protector for XZU, haven't applied it yet ... not sure what the advantages or downsides are of removing the ASF ATM. I'll prolly apply it tomorrow though.
I'd personally remove the ASF, I don't like it. But then again, I haven't removed mine yet cuz it's a PITA. Let me know what you think of the protector, post some pics, etc.

diji1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poi25 View Post
I'd personally remove the ASF, I don't like it. But then again, I haven't removed mine yet cuz it's a PITA. Let me know what you think of the protector, post some pics, etc.
How can you tell if you would prefer to not have the ASF if you haven't removed it? Given the seemingly widespread issue of XZU breaking I'd be pretty leery of removing the ASF unless a very sturdy case was going on. I was tempted to try out a product from Armorz which I think was called Tech R(?) - it's 2 tempered glass pieces for back and front - but Iwasn't sure how much support this would give against twisting.

I'm intending to put on the Skinomi Techskin tonight before I go to bed as it's recommended to leave it for 5 hours or so to dry.
Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE 6833 / Stock .757 / DooMKernel v16

Tags
asf, screen protector, tempered glass