OP aarongillion63

28th April 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110

231 posts
Donate to Me
More
My goal: to almost, practically multi-boot my tablet with Windows, using Bochs emulator. Bochs emulator is an Android app, so I still must have Android booted, but any apps, including SystemUI, are *not* needed (until I restart my tablet, plan on using Tasker to handle renaming apk's to bak's and vice versa.

I have a Dell Venue Andoid tablet w/ Intel, runs WinXP pretty well (emulator), and I would like to disable all apps from running while using my emulator. This is to clear up RAM and provide better speeds, along with not having other Android app interruptions/notifications/push services, including Google.

Note: Please don't suggest RAM cleaners... I'm literally turning off all apps including launcher and systemui.

I'm posting a thread because I'm specifically wondering if SystemUI is required to complete the boot process in Android 4.3 Jellybean. I feel that the process "Android System" should be everything I need to just launch my app at boot_completed. SystemUI, however, uses over 100MB in present RAM providing for the status bar, notifications, softkeys, and that crap. You'd be surprised what's actually running on your RAM. Android App Manager is biased and doesn't display system or Google apps. I used this app to actually figure it all out, worked great.

You guys, creating custom ROMs and such, should know about the composition of the boot process, and what affects it. So I'm asking you guys.

I already tried Boot Managers to block the boot_completed intents, even the Xposed ones, but it didn't actually free up RAM, nor did they allow me to block Google apps (such as Play Store, Youtube, they all run on present RAM--crazy).

Will renaming SystemUI.apk to .bak brick my tablet. BTW, Dell Venue tabs have unlocked bootloaders.

Thanks,
Last edited by aarongillion63; 28th April 2014 at 04:33 PM.
1st May 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

159 posts
Did you give greenify a try?

Is not a task killer, it runs in background, usually uses about 10mb or less, to prevent the app you "blocked" to start.
I think it might be the best solution...

Sorry for my bad English...
Sent from my HTC Desire 200 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd May 2014, 07:23 AM   |  #3  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,836

15,341 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63

My goal: to almost, practically multi-boot my tablet with Windows, using Bochs emulator. Bochs emulator is an Android app, so I still must have Android booted, but any apps, including SystemUI, are *not* needed (until I restart my tablet, plan on using Tasker to handle renaming apk's to bak's and vice versa.

I have a Dell Venue Andoid tablet w/ Intel, runs WinXP pretty well (emulator), and I would like to disable all apps from running while using my emulator. This is to clear up RAM and provide better speeds, along with not having other Android app interruptions/notifications/push services, including Google.

Note: Please don't suggest RAM cleaners... I'm literally turning off all apps including launcher and systemui.

I'm posting a thread because I'm specifically wondering if SystemUI is required to complete the boot process in Android 4.3 Jellybean. I feel that the process "Android System" should be everything I need to just launch my app at boot_completed. SystemUI, however, uses over 100MB in present RAM providing for the status bar, notifications, softkeys, and that crap. You'd be surprised what's actually running on your RAM. Android App Manager is biased and doesn't display system or Google apps. I used this app to actually figure it all out, worked great.

You guys, creating custom ROMs and such, should know about the composition of the boot process, and what affects it. So I'm asking you guys.

I already tried Boot Managers to block the boot_completed intents, even the Xposed ones, but it didn't actually free up RAM, nor did they allow me to block Google apps (such as Play Store, Youtube, they all run on present RAM--crazy).

Will renaming SystemUI.apk to .bak brick my tablet. BTW, Dell Venue tabs have unlocked bootloaders.

Thanks,

It won't brick it but it won't boot either.

Bat cave One
2nd May 2014, 09:54 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

159 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

It won't brick it but it won't boot either.

Bat cave One

Won't boot=can't use=brick

lol

2nd May 2014, 06:00 PM   |  #5  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,836

15,341 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicks93277

Won't boot=can't use=brick

lol

A brick is a device with no way to recover it and might as well as throw it out. What your talking about is a boot loop and this can happen when you mess around with this game like this. Get used to using adb

Bat cave One
4th May 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110

231 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yeah guys I'll be using adb alright.. I'll also look at greenify, but I don't want -more- services running in the background. I'll be looking out for a cracked-digi version of my tablet to test on as there aren't custom recovories available for it yet (rough waters). I'll also post back my results for all to see.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bochs, boot, emulator, ram, systemui
Previous Thread Next Thread