Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Can Cortana be installed on Surface Pro 2?

OP incisivekeith

4th May 2014, 07:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73

1,215 posts
More
I couldn't find anything on the net, which discussed installing Cortana on a Surface Pro 2. Has anyone looked into this?
4th May 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 325

1,620 posts
Its part of windows phone 8 only so no
6th May 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

Its part of windows phone 8 only so no

Thanks, but I'm already aware of that. My question was whether anyone was planning to make Cortana work on the Surface Pro 2.
6th May 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #4  

1,620 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incisivekeith

Thanks, but I'm already aware of that. My question was whether anyone was planning to make Cortana work on the Surface Pro 2.

Well nobody can but microsoft.

Windows 8 does not run windows phone 8 applications and no doubt cortana is way more tightly integrated than being a simple app. Only microsoft have the source code. There is no way for us to make cortana work on windows 8 (and that would therefore include pro 2 considering that is just a windows 8 ultrabook thrown in a tablet shell)
9th May 2014, 05:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

1,215 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

Well nobody can but microsoft.

Windows 8 does not run windows phone 8 applications and no doubt cortana is way more tightly integrated than being a simple app. Only microsoft have the source code. There is no way for us to make cortana work on windows 8 (and that would therefore include pro 2 considering that is just a windows 8 ultrabook thrown in a tablet shell)

Does that mean that no dev on XDA is interested in hacking Cortana to make it work on surface tablets?
9th May 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #6  

1,620 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by incisivekeith

Does that mean that no dev on XDA is interested in hacking Cortana to make it work on surface tablets?

It is physically impossible for us to do so, it isn't a case of whether anyone is interested or not, we simply cannot do it.

And why the fixation with the surface? Any hack to get cortana would be a global windows 8 thing not surface specific (hell, you'd have to go out of your way to make it surface specific)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread