Java (jre) on Surface RT

Tip us?

binnym
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Java (jre) on Surface RT

So I have a question?

Is there a way to enable java on the surface rt.
Because for my remote access to work I need JRE.

Thanks

ags29
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I wanna know this too. Need to be able to play Yahoo Games when I'm bored ��
Nexus One.. SGS Vibrant.. MT4G.. Sensation.. Galaxy Nexus.. Nexus 4

brummiesteven
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Not yet but Java exists on everything pretty much... I'm sure at some point someone will recompile it for Windows RT
Devices: HTC Charmer (Sold), HTC Touch Diamond (Broken), HTC G1(Sold), HTC Desire (Sold), HTC HD7 (Broken), Samsung Omnia 7, Nokia Lumia 800

OS's Used: Symbain Series 60, WM6.5, iOS, Android 1.1-2.2, Windows Phone 7

Computer Science Student at the University of Birmingham.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
There's two ways I could see this happening.

The simplest would be for somebody to take the Java source code, build it for Windows but target ARM, then sign it and tell people to go through the hoops needed to run third-party desktop-mode apps on RT. This would probably actually be pretty easy, if Java has a target for "use ARM instructions" in its JIT. If not, it would have to interpret the bytecode, which is very slow (although usable).

The second way is for the JRE to be built as a Metro-style app. It would probably have to hook a bunch of native APIs that aren't allowed in Store apps, so it would remain as homebrew, but it could be packaged as an APPX and would be easy enough to install. It would be both more difficult to port and possibly more of a hassle to use, though. With care and luck, it might even be possible to get it submitted to the Store, though, which (combined with setting it up as a file handler for .JAR) would make it widely usable. I doubt MS would approve it, though.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filfat
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post

The simplest would be for somebody to take the Java source code, build it for Windows but target ARM, then sign it and tell people to go through the hoops needed to run third-party desktop-mode apps on RT. This would probably actually be pretty easy, if Java has a target for "use ARM instructions" in its JIT. If not, it would have to interpret the bytecode, which is very slow (although usable).

The second way is for the JRE to be built as a Metro-style app. It would probably have to hook a bunch of native APIs that aren't allowed in Store apps, so it would remain as homebrew, but it could be packaged as an APPX and would be easy enough to install. It would be both more difficult to port and possibly more of a hassle to use, though. With care and luck, it might even be possible to get it submitted to the Store, though, which (combined with setting it up as a file handler for .JAR) would make it widely usable. I doubt MS would approve it, though.
I guess that the source isent available. And the open source version for Linux would be quite hard to port right?

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by filfat View Post
I guess that the source isent available. And the open source version for Linux would be quite hard to port right?
Actually, it is available.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Oracle do now offer ARMv6 hard float (which is then compatible with ARMv7) as a JIT option, it is standard software in raspbian on the raspberry pi as of a few weeks ago, in fact that is why they added that support. Now if only regular ARMv7 code worked on RT instead of THUMB_2. Don't know if java will actually build under visual studio either, funnily enough googling for any combination of "compile" "java" and "visual studio" gets you results for compiling java source code to the JRE under visual studio rather than compiling the JRE itself :P

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnym View Post
So I have a question?

Is there a way to enable java on the surface rt.
Because for my remote access to work I need JRE.

Thanks
You would need a jailbroken RT, that isn't hard (look in windows RT development and hacking, pinned thread right up top).
Then you would need the JRE which doesn't exist.
Its slow and incompatible with a fair amount of software but if you get as far as jailbreaking your RT you could *try* IKVM, its a java virtual machine running ontop of .NET and does work on RT. It can't be used as a browser plugin though so your remote access would need to be a standalone .jar rather than a web applet.
The Following User Says Thank You to SixSixSevenSeven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

filfat
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven View Post
Actually, it is available..
Well, Do You Have Any Links? Want to test if I can get it to compile... yes I know, im giving away freedom

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,699
Why yes, I have a link:
http://letmebingthatforyou.com/searc...re+source+code

Rule number one of the forum, please follow it!
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 324
Quote:
Why yes, I have a link:

Let me bing that... lol, seen the google version before but not the bing one.

filfat
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Why yes, I have a link:

I cant find it, that's why I asked. I have ofcourse already searched :P