Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,291 Members 46,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.1+][OLED] Knockr - Motion Gestures Launcher

Tip us?

Acela1230
Old
(Last edited by Acela1230; 13th May 2014 at 05:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 280
Default [APP][4.1+][OLED] Knockr - Motion Gestures Launcher

After seeing a lot of comparison videos of the HTC One m8 and the Galaxy S5 I realized one of the big things HTC has is their motion launch gestures. Unfortunately for HTC it is limited to doing just a few things. So since the Galaxy S5 has an OLED screen which is turned "off" when displaying black pixels, I figured I could create something like the motion launch gestures that uses minimal battery.

So I created Knockr an app that allows users with OLED Screen devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Moto X, to quickly enter an app with gestures without having to turn the screen on.

Gestures include:
Double Tap: Double tap the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Swipe Up, Down, Left, Right: Users can set each Swipe to open a separate app or unlock the screen

Long Press: Long press the screen to open any app you choose or unlock the screen

Volume Up when in Landscape: Pressing the volume up button when the device is in Landscape will automatically open the camera

I am still working on improving some of the things in Knockr, but wanted to post it on here to get some feedback and suggestions to make it better.

Change log:
Version 1.3:
-Added 10 new gestures
-Changed 'keep screen off' to 'lockscreen only', so Knockr can be used as an alternate lock screen.

XDA:DevDB Information
Knockr, a App for the Android General

Contributors
Acela1230

Version Information

Created 2014-05-04
Last Updated 2014-05-04
The Following 89 Users Say Thank You to Acela1230 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ViolentR
Old
(Last edited by ViolentR; 4th May 2014 at 09:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Going to give it a try with my Galaxy S4 Mini, I hope it's not too harsh on the battery. Nevertheless this application seems like a great idea, Thank you.

EDIT: Seems to work very well. Just a few things I noticed.
-The screen can turn on by a single touch to the screen (it will then display lockscreen)
-The backlight keys turn on after the app is activated once the screen is locked (the keys are only on for a few seconds on my phone anyway, no big deal)
-Is it possible to decrease the delay between when the phone is locked and when the Knockr app is loaded/active?

NandishV
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 6th May 2014 at 04:28 PM.) Reason: Trimmed OP quote
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acela1230 View Post
***FOR OLED SCREENS ONLY***
You said that this is for screens with OLED yet someone commented checking whether it would work with their S4 Mini. Now I thought that S4's had AMOLED which was different, if I'm mistaken, does this mean that it will work on my S4-19505?
Thanks, it looks brill by the way.
Nandish-

Acela1230
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 280
AM-(OLED) your device has an OLED display. It only works with OLED type screens cause they use no power to produce black screens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to Acela1230 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nhatduongchi
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Only one touch and the screen is awake to show the lock pattern on Samsung S4.

Joe0113
Old
Thanks Meter 1,650

DONATE TO ME
What an awesome app! My only recommendation is to take away the one tap to turn on the screen, as the screen can accidentally turn on in your pocket very easily and cause unwanted battery drain.
Sprint Galaxy S3 Retired
Sprint Galaxy S4 Retired

Sprint Galaxy S5
ROM: MOAR v2
Kernel: Stock NE5 Kernel with some tweaks
Theme: Velur (Nova icon pack)
Modem: NE5
Apps I NEED: TiBu, Google Now, Beautiful Widgets, Greenify (Donate), Xposed, 8sms, NiLS/NiLS FP

Awesome Collection of Android Apps from XDA Developers!
Collection of Apps for Android Wear (Alphabetized and Categorized)!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe0113 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Acela1230
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentR View Post
Going to give it a try with my Galaxy S4 Mini, I hope it's not too harsh on the battery. Nevertheless this application seems like a great idea, Thank you.

EDIT: Seems to work very well. Just a few things I noticed.
-The screen can turn on by a single touch to the screen (it will then display lockscreen)
-The backlight keys turn on after the app is activated once the screen is locked (the keys are only on for a few seconds on my phone anyway, no big deal)
-Is it possible to decrease the delay between when the phone is locked and when the Knockr app is loaded/active?
Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't use much battery especially if you use the power management since you probably wont have your phone turned off to often outside of your pocket during the day and if you do you can just turn it over and still get the same benefit.

I have already uploaded a new version that has removed the single tap action so there aren't any false touches registered. It also made the screen on an option to choose for any of the gestures. It also fixes a bug that cause Knockr to close when the orientation was changed after being pocketed.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to load Knockr any faster since I already have it setup to load as fast as possible. The problem is that I have to use a broadcast receiver to receive the screen off and the broadcast takes a little bit of time to be sent out (I'll keep looking for ways to make it faster though).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Acela1230 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mangordi89
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Really cool app!

Few recommendations:

1. Any way to show clock and notifications every couple of seconds? (Ex 15s)

2. Way to bypass knockr when power button is pressed.

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto X using XDA Free mobile app

quaker1985
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Default awesome app

awesome app.
but there is delay while unlocking phone (or performing any action while screen is locked).
i don't know it is because of my s3 or app
but cool idea.
one more suggestion screen should be unlocked after pressing power button.

ravijani
Old
(Last edited by ravijani; 5th May 2014 at 09:59 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3,849
mind blowing app.
works great.

thanks for this and keep going on.
it is really nice idea.

questions :
can it detect multi finger on screen off? we might get more gesture thts why only.
screen segmentation? means on some part of screen it detects then that gesture recognized.

just some ideas.
Devices :
Note 2(N7100 white 16GB) : DN3 4.4.2 Kitkat , Stock Kernel
S Advance(GT-I9070 16GB) : Pure Vanilla v3 , Cocore Kernel
Moto G(Dual Sim 33) : Stock Non Rooted , Stock Kernel