Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 41,292 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[VIDEO] Sony Xperia Z vs Xperia Z1 vs Xperia Z2

Tip us?

shem2409
Old
(Last edited by shem2409; 5th May 2014 at 07:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 616

DONATE TO ME
Video [VIDEO] Sony Xperia Z vs Xperia Z1 vs Xperia Z2

How many generations does it take to build the perfect smartphone? In this video I will show you all differences between Sony Xperia Z vs. Sony Xperia Z1 and Sony Xperia Z2. What exactly has changed between models and is it worth upgrading?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shem2409 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crazymister
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Nice comparison. I'll be able to choose a new device from August, so I'll probably wait for the z3 by then

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

luluchambler
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Great review!
Btw. is it just my eyes or is it so that the Z1 has the brightest/contrasty Screen out of the three?

shem2409
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 616

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluchambler View Post
Great review!
Btw. is it just my eyes or is it so that the Z1 has the brightest/contrasty Screen out of the three?
For some reason the wallpaper is lighter on Z1. When you look at the video playback on all three they are almost identical. I have been looked closely at all three and the brightness is almost the same. The viewing angles on the Z2 are far superior though.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Akinaro
Old
Thanks Meter 31
almost all camera gadgets are available in market, i have latest timeshift, AR effect(this with sounds), motiongraph and this cool blurred background mode, when you shoot two images and play with background, its a bit buggy but work

iDroid8
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I really don't like the lack of soft-touch edge on the Z1/2 like on the Z. I understand the metal frame makes it more durable and more premium, but after holding the Z, the Z1 and up feel incredibly slippery in the hand as a result.
Sony Xperia Z - 4.4.2 rooted, de-odexed, zipaligned

luluchambler
Old
(Last edited by luluchambler; 5th May 2014 at 05:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
I generally like the design of the Z better than that of its sucessors.
The soft-touch was great, aluminum is generally a bad idea when there are antennas nearby and it really destroys the look iam loving the Z for right now.

The plain black monolitic all-around, with the frame that is like pebble-blueish when looked at in the sunlight.
Just great imo.

For me the Z1/Z2 are a step back regarding the sleek elegant design that was inherent to the Z, except for a few changes.
The flap-less headphone jack is really the only thing that i really found to be annoying about the Z, and the 3200mah is also a great step forward.

Other than that there isnt really much beside hardware-specs that was improved in my opinion.
Still missing such a feature like IR, maybe with the Z3?

Display was always kinda okayish when looking straight at it, and due to the bad viewing angles i dont need any kind of "privacy-filter" foil or similiar :P
Things that should get improved is the Picture-Quality in dark conditions and in macro-mode i hate that blur-filter that seems to destroy any little detail i was used to see on a lot older devices.
There have been Sony-Ericcson's Cybershot phones that are now pretty much "historical" that took more natural or even in general better looking images.
Its also sad for me to know that my five year old phone takes better macro-shots

Anyways, we'll see.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luluchambler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mhboooool
Old
Thanks Meter 6
my xz is the best

->---
Old
Thanks Meter 21
It is like in the automobile sector. The first facelift is the best balance between price and features. All the bugs from the protoype version are solved. The features are not to overwhelming and the price is ok.
My system:

• Model:
    Xperia Z1
  • ROM:
    pac_honami_4.4.4.Beta-1.0_20140723-194622
  • GAPPS:
    pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.4-20140729-signed
  • Kernel:
    R.I.P. Pimped Kernel
  • Additional:
    SONY_SoundEnhacement_BeatsAudio-signed
  • Additional:
    Inverted Multi DPI Play Store v4.8.20 for KK
android-hilfe.de -> Stormbringer

Option58
Old
Thanks Meter 242
Z - Feels like a prototype phone. Has many things done good but also has many thing that just feel low quality...
Z1 - Feels like hell-a-lot of an improvement - better screen, and build quality. Still not perfect with those bezels and not as great viewing angles.
Z2 - *Z design brang to perfection* Great screen with good bezels and viewing angles.