Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,448 Members 40,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon remote access everything on your phone?

Tip us?

kleigh774
Old
(Last edited by kleigh774; 30th April 2014 at 07:19 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
Default Verizon remote access everything on your phone?

Can someone explain when and why this came about? I can't find out much on Google other then they started tested it on the revolution phone in 2012. I didn't know anything about this until today while on the phone with a rep discussing switching to another phone and he asked why I wanted to leave my s4. I said due to bad battery life. Then he started telling how I had done everything in settings and such to save battery but went on to tell me exactly when I took my phone off the charger, how much bay percent I had left at that very moment, how many 3rd party apps I had installed and even told me which ones where running in the background at that very moment. I maybe behind on the time but he didn't ask to access my phone like they do when you remote access your computer. Can someone catch me up on this cause I don't to much care for as the article stated that any rep would be able to access your phone as if it was in there hand.

LaTropa64
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleigh774 View Post
Can someone explain when and why this came about? I can't find out much on Google other then they started tested it on the revolution phone in 2012. I didn't know anything about this until today while on the phone with a rep discussing switching to another phone and he asked why I wanted to leave my s4. I said due to bad battery life. Then he started telling how I had done everything in settings and such to save battery but went on to tell me exactly when I took my phone off the charger, how much bay percent I had left at that very moment, how many 3rd party apps I had installed and even told me which ones where running in the background at that very moment. I maybe behind on the time but he didn't ask to access my phone like they do when you remote access your computer. Can someone catch me up on this cause I don't to much care for as the article stated that any rep would be able to access your phone as if it was in there hand.
I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I noticed Samsung Knox is enabled by default as a Device administrator and has access to all that stuff. I disabled it.

Settings > Security > Device administrators

kleigh774
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 86
No its not just the s4. The only thing I could find was that article from March of 2012 and they where hiding it in a ota on the LG revolution phone that didn't sell well to test it out. Now here it is 2014 and they can tell me everything on my phone while I am talking to them in that same phone. Here's the article from then. It's named something else but doesn't mean they couldn't name it something we can't find.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...f-tech-support

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Larzzzz82
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know the my Verizon mobile want permission to see what programs are running... VZW APN I believe is the process. I believer the APN stands for, active program notification... I have no idea, but it makes sense to me.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzzzz82 View Post
I know the my Verizon mobile want permission to see what programs are running... VZW APN I believe is the process. I believer the APN stands for, active program notification... I have no idea, but it makes sense to me.
Stands for Access Point Names, it has to do with mobile data connections.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar