Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,494 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] Will underclocking while gaming save battery?

Tip us?

AGAWhitty
Old
(Last edited by AGAWhitty; 10th March 2014 at 09:46 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Default [Solved] Will underclocking while gaming save battery?

Hi,

I'm not really bothered about high resolution gaming or high res textures ect when gaming on my phone, I would much rather have a phone that lasted all day.

So was wondering if downloading GLTools on my Moto G and lowering the resolution, texture res ect on NFS:MW for example and underclocking to the lowest clock speed that gives me playable fps with lowest possible graphics would save me much Juice?

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to AGAWhitty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Most likely.
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]

AGAWhitty
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Thought someone might know but I guess I'll test it out when I have time with all radios off ect. And post results in case anyone else can benefit from it.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

liveroy
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
You probably won't see much of a difference, due to that your cpu/gpu are not the biggest battery hungry components when playing games.

I know it sounds weird, but your display backlight and numerous RAM addressings tax your battery way more.

Doesn't hurt to try tho, good luck.
Mental issues lead to the use of long signatures

Care much for receiving Thanks?Bitching at the others about it doesn't help, instead better stfu and gtfo.

AGAWhitty
Old
(Last edited by AGAWhitty; 10th March 2014 at 09:45 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
I did a short experiment which told me what I needed to know, I haven't got mass amounts of time to do in depth tests so I did this.

Charged my Moto G up to 100% with lowest screen brightness, volume muted, put it in aeroplane mode and played Blocky Roads for 3 hours at 3 different clock speeds, 30 mins with normal graphics and another 30 mins with GLTools halving the screen resolution and texture resolution.

This was my result.

30% an hour at 1190 mhz = 3 hours 20 mins total gaming time

18% an hour at 600 mhz = 5 hours 30 mins total gaming time

12 % an hour at 384 Mhz = 8 hours 20 mins total gaming time

I then did it with the lowered graphics and found it didn't change a thing, BUT! It was very useful for making the lower clock speed game play more playable and I will be using it for just that!

Sent from my MOTOROLA MOTOG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AGAWhitty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Raul And.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAWhitty View Post
I did a short experiment which told me what I needed to know, I haven't got mass amounts of time to do in depth tests so I did this.

Charged my Moto G up to 100% with lowest screen brightness, volume muted, put it in aeroplane mode and played Blocky Roads for 3 hours at 3 different clock speeds, 30 mins with normal graphics and another 30 mins with GLTools halving the screen resolution and texture resolution.

This was my result.

30% an hour at 1190 mhz = 3 hours 20 mins total gaming time

18% an hour at 600 mhz = 5 hours 30 mins total gaming time

12 % an hour at 384 Mhz = 8 hours 20 mins total gaming time

I then did it with the lowered graphics and found it didn't change a thing, BUT! It was very useful for making the lower clock speed game play more playable and I will be using it for just that!

Sent from my MOTOROLA MOTOG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Interesting ... Thanks for the info

tjkingg
Old
Thanks Meter 42
800Mhz is sufficient for general use except for high res games. also use greenify to hibernate background apps. turn off sync and keep brightness at 25-50% and this should easily give u a battery backup of 24-30 hours of moderate use.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

vaib
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkingg View Post
800Mhz is sufficient for general use except for high res games. also use greenify to hibernate background apps. turn off sync and keep brightness at 25-50% and this should easily give u a battery backup of 24-30 hours of moderate use.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Which app did you use for underclocking? Were you on stock or a custom ROM?
The reason why this universe is eternal is that it doesnt live for itself...it gives life to others as it transforms.