Review of Seidio DILEX (formerly ACTIVE) case and holster for S5 w/lots of pics!!!

OP vectron

5th May 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,104

2,829 posts
This is a review of Seidio DILEX (formerly known as ACTIVE) case and holster for Galaxy S5. http://www.seidioonline.com/samsung-...3ssgs5k-bk.htm

You have to be living under a rock not to be familiar with Seidio line of popular cases such as SURFACE, ACTIVE, CONVERT, OBEX, etc. I had a pleasure to review and to post about it in this forum for a lot of different Galaxy phones and Nexus tablets. For me SURFACE and ACTIVE was always like two siblings, until ACTIVE name was replaced with DILEX. It did generate some confusion, and even so the name was already introduced with previous models, I'm still making a reference to ACTIVE in the title of the review for those who are not familiar with this change. Have no worry, it is the same good old ACTIVE, just under a different name. I think it was a good decision to rename it because some people probably associate Active with a more rugged outdoor design, something typical for CONVERT or OBEX functionality. Either way, no matter what you call it - it's still the same case with an inner shock absorbing silicone shell and outer soft rubbery flexible pc shell.

This two-layer interlocking design always surprised me with how Seidio was able to keep it that thin. It actually feels like it got more compact and thinner since my reviews of previous DILEX/ACTIVE cases, while drop protection of the phone is still impeccable. The inner silicon shell is typically soft without a tight tpu-like grip around the phone. I know some people don't like when case is pulling around the sides, but the advantage of this particular setup is being able to accommodate different screen protectors including various tempered glass brands where you don't have to worry about case pushing on the edges. I had no issues with my tempered glass protector. The material is still a lint magnet, but it's getting better with less static. The exoskeleton shell goes over inner silicone shell to secure its position in different points of contact, at 4 corners and along both sides. At the top it actually forms a solid lip. This way it provides a decent corner protection and also holds inner shell along it's sides from excessive pull. The outer shell material is flexible which is very important during a drop to survive any cracks. Soft rubbery finish is very nice to the touch and adds non-slippery grip. Speaking of grip, sides of inner shell which are protruding outside of outer shell are sculptured for an excellent grip as well, and I noticed their design has been updated - looks a lot cooler now!

Another advantage of stretchable nature of inner silicon shell is ability to accommodate different shapes and sizes of usb and headphone connectors, and it helps to get to charging port cover. Every other port opening is precisely cutout and aligned perfectly. Volume/Power buttons are covered and easy to push and have a nice tactile response. Another star of this design is metal kickstand with a magnetic closure. It always adds a classy touch to Seidio cases, has a sturdy construction, and magnet doesn't interfere with a phone. This kickstand is intended for landscape viewing mode only. Last but not least accessory is a holster, something I always praise in my Seidio reviews. Beside felt lining to protect the display of the phone and swivel belt clip with a precise click mechanism, it has a very secure spring loaded clip for easy removal of the phone.

Overall, Seidio stayed very consistent with their original design scaled to S5 footprint, and this DILEX case is still a good old ACTIVE with just a new name. Although no wheel was reinvented in here, I always feel like some subtle improvement are present with every new case release from Seidio. Perhaps a bit thinner design and more flexible exoskeleton. Maybe one of these days they will figure out how to keep lint away from that inner shell, but for now just accept it as a great dual layer protection case for your S5 with a bonus functionality of pocket lint collector! As always, shop around on Amazon where you can find the best deal on these cases.

Here are the pictures.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
Thanks for the awesome review!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread