[Q] Galaxy Note II (was) Flashed to Boost Mobile with problems

OP budgreen24

26th August 2013, 09:50 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Long Beach
Thanks Meter: 50

93 posts
More
I've tried to make this brief, but there's a lot to tell and this isn't a simple yes/no question.

After several hours of searching for answers with Google and here on XDA, I'm hoping I can find some help here. A friend's wife has a Verizon Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605) that was flashed to Boost Mobile a few months ago by some shady cellular store which no longer is in business. So taking the phone back to them isn't an option. They did a half-ass flash considering the device didn't have 3g or mms working. At some point within the last day or two a factory reset was done.
Here's where it gets weird. After the reset the phone no longer had service. No phone or (1x) data that it had up to that point. I was asked if I could figure out what was wrong. After a long time investigating the problem I finally discovered the reason the phone didn't have service any more was that the ESN didn't match the MEID! And no, it wasn't changed by my friend or his wife (they definitely have no idea how to do it). Nobody had done anything to the phone up to that point aside from the factory reset.
Some quick background info - when the phone was flashed it was done via MEID/ESN method. Let's not go into any detail on that. So after realizing that the current ESN (verizon) didn't match the current MEID (boost) I was puzzled. I'm not new to flashing, and have done a fewl flashes myself so I'm familiar with the whole procedure. What I don't understand is how/why this ESN change happened! I would have suspected someone tampering with the phone but it isn't possible.
Now, my friend lives on the east coast and I'm in California so I couldn't physically look at or do anything with the phone. So using TeamViewer I remotely connected to his computer and gave him instructions on what I needed him to physically do on the phone, and I operated the software. Connected to CDMA Workshop I looked everything over and the only problem I noticed was the mismatched ESN. Tried to change the it back with Workshop but it wouldn't stick. I didn't think it would, but tried anyway. I Tried again with DFS but it didnt work either. For reason unknown DFS didn't load the proper EQF for the phone, and instead used a generic Qualcomm EQF. Yellow light at the bottom instead of green. Long story short, I then noticed that the Boost Mobile NAM and data profile settings were gone as well. Strange, right? Especially since the MEID was showing the same Boost number that was there since the flash.
In my experience on Samsung devices, only the MEID needs to be written and the phone calculates and applies the ESN (or pESN). But this thing apparently has an IMEI which I'm not familiar with. Never owned a GSM phone. So I don't understand how the ESN could have changed/reverted itself, the NAM and data info reset, and so on. Can anyone with experience in this area give some input on what the problem would be and maybe even offer a solution? What is required to perform an MEID/ESN repair on this device? I want to do what I can to help him out because at this point his wife is very upset (to put it mildly), thinking it's his fault.
26th August 2013, 09:55 PM   |  #2  
Southern CALI
Thanks Meter: 146

1,089 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgreen24

I've tried to make this brief, but there's a lot to tell and this isn't a simple yes/no question.

After several hours of searching for answers with Google and here on XDA, I'm hoping I can find some help here. A friend's wife has a Verizon Galaxy Note II (SCH-i605) that was flashed to Boost Mobile a few months ago by some shady cellular store which no longer is in business. So taking the phone back to them isn't an option. They did a half-ass flash considering the device didn't have 3g or mms working. At some point within the last day or two a factory reset was done.
Here's where it gets weird. After the reset the phone no longer had service. No phone or (1x) data that it had up to that point. I was asked if I could figure out what was wrong. After a long time investigating the problem I finally discovered the reason the phone didn't have service any more was that the ESN didn't match the MEID! And no, it wasn't changed by my friend or his wife (they definitely have no idea how to do it). Nobody had done anything to the phone up to that point aside from the factory reset.
Some quick background info - when the phone was flashed it was done via MEID/ESN method. Let's not go into any detail on that. So after realizing that the current ESN (verizon) didn't match the current MEID (boost) I was puzzled. I'm not new to flashing, and have done a fewl flashes myself so I'm familiar with the whole procedure. What I don't understand is how/why this ESN change happened! I would have suspected someone tampering with the phone but it isn't possible.
Now, my friend lives on the east coast and I'm in California so I couldn't physically look at or do anything with the phone. So using TeamViewer I remotely connected to his computer and gave him instructions on what I needed him to physically do on the phone, and I operated the software. Connected to CDMA Workshop I looked everything over and the only problem I noticed was the mismatched ESN. Tried to change the it back with Workshop but it wouldn't stick. I didn't think it would, but tried anyway. I Tried again with DFS but it didnt work either. For reason unknown DFS didn't load the proper EQF for the phone, and instead used a generic Qualcomm EQF. Yellow light at the bottom instead of green. Long story short, I then noticed that the Boost Mobile NAM and data profile settings were gone as well. Strange, right? Especially since the MEID was showing the same Boost number that was there since the flash.
In my experience on Samsung devices, only the MEID needs to be written and the phone calculates and applies the ESN (or pESN). But this thing apparently has an IMEI which I'm not familiar with. Never owned a GSM phone. So I don't understand how the ESN could have changed/reverted itself, the NAM and data info reset, and so on. Can anyone with experience in this area give some input on what the problem would be and maybe even offer a solution? What is required to perform an MEID/ESN repair on this device? I want to do what I can to help him out because at this point his wife is very upset (to put it mildly), thinking it's his fault.

Has he tried just going into a Verizon store I know that might seem dumb as an answer but you just go in and tell them to do a complete factory restore/reset.. have them change back the info.....

Not sure but if i remember correct if you use ODIN (havent used ODIN on this phone yet) theres a box to check to do factory restore or factory reset which will put all old info back ... I will look into it and reply back .. since i got my note 2 i have used odin again but when i had a epic 4g flashed to boost i remember i had to make sure that box wasnt checked
27th August 2013, 02:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Long Beach

93 posts
More
But you see...They don't want the Verizon settings on the phone. The Note 2 WAS flashed to Boost Mobile (which they currently use), but it's currently non usable because the Verizon setting already ARE back on the phone. That's half of the problem here. The other part of the problem is how to get the device back onto Boost's network.
Last edited by budgreen24; 27th August 2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
28th August 2013, 01:00 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Long Beach

93 posts
More
Update- just found out from DFS tech support that the demo version of this software isn't capable of writing meid or esn on this phone. An update costing $35 is required to have that ability. Is it possible with other software (free)?
1st April 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 4

98 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgreen24

Update- just found out from DFS tech support that the demo version of this software isn't capable of writing meid or esn on this phone. An update costing $35 is required to have that ability. Is it possible with other software (free)?

That's strange because I flashed an i605 from a Gusto with a demo of DFS and everything went fine including the ESN/MEID.

I now want to flash it to Boost mobile because the reception of Verizon isn't that much better in my area and I'm grandfathered in to the 10c a mintues pay as you go.
5th May 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Note II
If I factory reset my note II will it still be flashed to Boostmobile? Do I re-sell it as Sprint or Boostmobile?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boost, flash, galaxy note 2, meid repair, verizon
Previous Thread Next Thread