OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can't format the system partition (Brick?)

OP numsgil

29th April 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Hi, XDA Community!
Just as a side note, I've been flashing custom ROMs for 4 years, so I'm not a newbie anymore. I've always been with Samsung devices (because they're cool ), and my first one was the SGS. Now I'm on the SGS3 (d2att : Bell) for a year at least.
Now, the problem : I was using the new AOSB Project ROM and I wasn't happy with the battery life, so I wanted to switch, but now any ROM I try to flash stay stuck on "Formatting System partition" (or the logo for Resurection Remix).
My first idea was to manually format that partition, but the ROM always want to format it so I got stuck again (without any backup rom to go back to). So I used Odin to restore to a stock 4.3 (was 4.4.2), re-rooted using Unifed Android Toolkit, flashed PhilZ Touch Recovery (was with TWRP 2.7.0.0) and it was working. But I don't like TouchWiz so I tried again to flash. So I used Odin again because I was still stuck on "Formatting System Partition" and did the same mistake.
Now, my phone is sitting beside me for an hour, trying to format that partition because the stock 4.3 stuck on the Samsung logo...
I'm all out of ideas now...

As I'm not a native English speaker/writer, feel free to ask for precisions or if I forgot something!
Hope I don't have to go buy a new one!
Thanks in advance!
29th April 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 75

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgil

Hi, XDA Community!
Just as a side note, I've been flashing custom ROMs for 4 years, so I'm not a newbie anymore. I've always been with Samsung devices (because they're cool ), and my first one was the SGS. Now I'm on the SGS3 (d2att : Bell) for a year at least.
Now, the problem : I was using the new AOSB Project ROM and I wasn't happy with the battery life, so I wanted to switch, but now any ROM I try to flash stay stuck on "Formatting System partition" (or the logo for Resurection Remix).
My first idea was to manually format that partition, but the ROM always want to format it so I got stuck again (without any backup rom to go back to). So I used Odin to restore to a stock 4.3 (was 4.4.2), re-rooted using Unifed Android Toolkit, flashed PhilZ Touch Recovery (was with TWRP 2.7.0.0) and it was working. But I don't like TouchWiz so I tried again to flash. So I used Odin again because I was still stuck on "Formatting System Partition" and did the same mistake.
Now, my phone is sitting beside me for an hour, trying to format that partition because the stock 4.3 stuck on the Samsung logo...
I'm all out of ideas now...

As I'm not a native English speaker/writer, feel free to ask for precisions or if I forgot something!
Hope I don't have to go buy a new one!
Thanks in advance!

There are a couple of things I'm not clear about in your post - you said you Odined back to 4.3 stock. Where did you find the Odin flashable file for 4.3? Also you said you tried to get out of TW using Odin. What were you trying to flash the second time? Finally have you tried doing a hard wipe/factory reset from recovery?
29th April 2014, 08:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

There are a couple of things I'm not clear about in your post - you said you Odined back to 4.3 stock. Where did you find the Odin flashable file for 4.3? Also you said you tried to get out of TW using Odin. What were you trying to flash the second time? Finally have you tried doing a hard wipe/factory reset from recovery?

I used version EMK5 from Samsung-Updates.com for D2ATT. And I was trying to flash a custom ROM, namely Resurection Remix v5.0.8 and the I tried to sideload C-Rom v6.1. What do you mean by Hard Wipe? I did the factory reset/wipe data/cache when I installed my ROMs, but if you mean manullay wipe the system partition, I did that.
29th April 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 1,025

3,188 posts
More
Quote:

I used version EMK5 from Samsung-Updates.com for D2ATT. And I was trying to flash a custom ROM, namely Resurection Remix v5.0.8 and the I tried to sideload C-Rom v6.1. What do you mean by Hard Wipe? I did the factory reset/wipe data/cache when I installed my ROMs, but if you mean manullay wipe the system partition, I did that.

I believe EMK5 for the i747m. Do you have an i747 or i747m?
30th April 2014, 06:09 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

i747m

Someone over at Google+ said that the problem may be that partitions that are corrupted. How do I fix it? I think that I can do that with Odin but I think I need a PIT file. Where can I find the good one for my device? Is this a good idea?
30th April 2014, 06:17 AM   |  #6  
Atlanta, GA

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

I was assuming it was an i747 because the post mentioned d2-ATT which is why I was puzzled about the Odining to 4.3 part. Looking through again, I see the post mentioned Bell so I'd guess it's the i747m. The (stock) firmware file is, however, a zip which would have been better flashed via custom recovery rather than Odin. Numsgil, I meant with the phone apparently stuck in a boot loop after the flashing, can you try booting into recovery and doing a factory reset?
30th April 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:

I was assuming it was an i747 because the post mentioned d2-ATT which is why I was puzzled about the Odining to 4.3 part. Looking through again, I see the post mentioned Bell so I'd guess it's the i747m. The (stock) firmware file is, however, a zip which would have been better flashed via custom recovery rather than Odin. Numsgil, I meant with the phone apparently stuck in a boot loop after the flashing, can you try booting into recovery and doing a factory reset?

Did it, but was still boot-looping. Today, I needed my phone so I Odin-flashed again and now it is useable but I'm sure the problem will persist.
30th April 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #8  
Atlanta, GA

363 posts
More
Quote:

Did it, but was still boot-looping. Today, I needed my phone so I Odin-flashed again and now it is useable but I'm sure the problem will persist.

If you flash a complete stock image via (custom) recovery it shouldn't recur as this will update all partitions to as near factory settings as possible. Even if any of the partitions is corrupt, a total restore should fix that.
30th April 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:

If you flash a complete stock image via (custom) recovery it shouldn't recur as this will update all partitions to as near factory settings as possible. Even if any of the partitions is corrupt, a total restore should fix that.

OK! How do I do it?
30th April 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #10  
Atlanta, GA

363 posts
More
Quote:

OK! How do I do it?

You can download a fresh stock image from sammobile.com or the same source you used earlier OR a rooted version courtesy of XDA Developer Mr. Robinson via the following link ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199494

Once you have this, save the zip file to an external SD card. Flash custom recovery to your phone. You mentioned you had philz-touch? Or you could flash TWRP or CWM via Odin. Place the SD card in your phone. Boot into recovery mode and flash from the card. Wait for firmware installation to be complete. Clear your cache/dalvik and reboot to system. Hope this works.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread