No registration required

Verizon S5 - Quick help please

OP Hawk600

5th May 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

113 posts
More
Can anybody please help with a quick answer?
In a nutshell I still torn between the S5 and HTC M8 (buying tonight) and needed to know what I can do with the S5 as far as root and custom ROMs go.
I think the S5 is better than the M8 however the locked bootloader plain sux and there are plenty of recoveries and ROMs for the M8.
I certainly prefer the VZW S5 if I can at least root it and maybe install a custom rom or even plain KitKat if needed. I can always wait for a custom recovery.
Is that possible as of now?
Thanks in advance!
6th May 2014, 01:29 AM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 474

1,815 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk600

Can anybody please help with a quick answer?
In a nutshell I still torn between the S5 and HTC M8 (buying tonight) and needed to know what I can do with the S5 as far as root and custom ROMs go.
I think the S5 is better than the M8 however the locked bootloader plain sux and there are plenty of recoveries and ROMs for the M8.
I certainly prefer the VZW S5 if I can at least root it and maybe install a custom rom or even plain KitKat if needed. I can always wait for a custom recovery.
Is that possible as of now?
Thanks in advance!

If you really like rooting your device and such, i suggest the S5.
I believe there are recoveries available but currently there are no plain kitkat roms for the S5.
HTC has all these S-on, locked bootloader and stuff that makes it a hassle to root.
It is also a hassle to return HTC devices to factory spec.

Hardware wise I think the S5 is a better choice. it isn't stupidly tall, doesn't have on screen keys, doesn't have an exterior that scratches and dents, doesnt have a 4MP sensor that performs VERY inconsistently.

I'll admit HTC has better software, but software can be changed, hardware cannot be changed.
6th May 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

113 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellscythe

If you really like rooting your device and such, i suggest the S5.
I believe there are recoveries available but currently there are no plain kitkat roms for the S5.
HTC has all these S-on, locked bootloader and stuff that makes it a hassle to root.
It is also a hassle to return HTC devices to factory spec.
Hardware wise I think the S5 is a better choice. it isn't stupidly tall, doesn't have on screen keys, doesn't have an exterior that scratches and dents, doesnt have a 4MP sensor that performs VERY inconsistently.
I'll admit HTC has better software, but software can be changed, hardware cannot be changed.

Thank you, I liked the HTC but got the S5 for the same reasons you pointed out, however is Verizon version and as far as I know there is no root for it yet.
Well I believe it will be unlocked at some point...just need some patience.
Thanks again!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread