Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Really high battery drain for 2-3 hours right after charging, then settles

Tip us?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, MD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Plug [Q] Really high battery drain for 2-3 hours right after charging, then settles

Hey all,

I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue (I searched the forums and didn't see anything). I noticed that the past 3 times I've charged my phone to 100%, the battery drain immediately after unplugging is around 3%/hour even if I don't use the phone. Then after the battery reaches anywhere in the 92 - 94% range, it settles down to about 0.8%/hour without me rebooting or taking any action. I know these numbers only because I have Better Battery Stats installed however I can't really tell what is chewing the battery since I haven't rooted yet.

Is this normal? I'm coming from a Note II that I rooted and installed a custom ROM and did not experience this.

That being said, I am super impressed with the battery on this thing. I am getting almost the same drain as my Note II which had a custom ROM installed.

Thanks ahead for any help/advice you can give me!

sandeep20064096
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi i am also facing same issue.After fully charge the first 5 to 6 % battery draining very fastly approximately around 15 mins of usage then after that the battery settles and the draining will be normal.Does any one else is facing the same issue what may be the problem and resolution for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mantis Toboggan, MD View Post
Hey all,

I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue (I searched the forums and didn't see anything). I noticed that the past 3 times I've charged my phone to 100%, the battery drain immediately after unplugging is around 3%/hour even if I don't use the phone. Then after the battery reaches anywhere in the 92 - 94% range, it settles down to about 0.8%/hour without me rebooting or taking any action. I know these numbers only because I have Better Battery Stats installed however I can't really tell what is chewing the battery since I haven't rooted yet.

Is this normal? I'm coming from a Note II that I rooted and installed a custom ROM and did not experience this.

That being said, I am super impressed with the battery on this thing. I am getting almost the same drain as my Note II which had a custom ROM installed.

Thanks ahead for any help/advice you can give me!

lcmazza
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I noticed that as well..

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, MD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I am considering rooting... not sure but I may get an answer through BBS with root features.

Also next time I charge, I'm going to try rebooting the phone immediately after unplugging from the power source.

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 430
I think that is just how the way battery percentage is calculated. I read somewhere that from the first 10 or 15 percent are somewhat inaccurate.
Sorry, I'll try and find a source for this later. Currently at school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

btort1
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Are you guys charging from the wall charger or from the computer usb? And also, I remember non oem chargers tend to do this on my S4 and htc one.... haven't tested on my s5 yet though

sandeep20064096
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi I am using the standard charge that comes along with the phone by the way what is the meaning of non oem charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by btort1 View Post
Are you guys charging from the wall charger or from the computer usb? And also, I remember non oem chargers tend to do this on my S4 and htc one.... haven't tested on my s5 yet though

Dr. Mantis Toboggan, MD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by btort1 View Post
Sorry that's info I should have specified in OP... I'm using the charger that came with the phone and it is happening both through the wall and from the computer USB.