Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

WEIRD TouchPad Problem. Tried everything I could...

OP lehel.babos

10th October 2011, 10:29 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

17 posts
Hey Guys,

So..... I'm trying to fix my friend's TouchPad and having no luck what so ever. I'll describe the problem the best I can and then tell you what we've tried so far.

In a nutshell, it seems almost like the drive inside the touchpad is write protected.
I can delete and add files no problem but if I either

Restart Luna: It does a sort of "half reset" and start acting weird. Preware might not work properly or sometimes the app catalog won't connect. Plus all the icons rearrange themselves to their factory setting with my downloaded apps (both store and preware) being bundled together under the downloads tab.

or

Restart Touchpad: Any changes made during the previous session get reverted back to a point about a week ago (not factory default). Everything from icon positions, apps installed to even content on the touchpad. For example I could delete a movie or a song from my library, restart the device and the file would reappear. It's like it reflashes an earlier image of itself. (Skynet has become self aware?)

So here is what I've tried so far.

Full Erase: Nothing happens. Device restarts and we're back to square one.
Secure Full Erase: Same thing.

WebOS Doctor: Doctor starts up... I click through the screens, progress bar appears. Usually somewhere before 28% Doctor just quits and says it had an issue resetting my TouchPad and to go to the support page. The support page is useless, just tells me to re-download and restart/connect both my devices. Which I have done.

(I'm also using the latest version of WebOS Doctor and the ToucPad is on 3.0.2)....

I also tried running WebOS Doctor from Dev. mode (Hard Reset TouchPad and then hold Power+VolUp)

When I restart the device after a WebOS Doctor attempt, things revert back to the same state as before.

help?

ps: The touchpad functions fine otherwise. Everything runs it's just....stuck....
10th October 2011, 11:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 29

200 posts
More
did he have 3.0.3 and/or the chomper android ipk installed?

if so, the kernel could be stuck on there. i'd try going back to 3.0.3, install chomper 0.1, uninstall through menu (NOT THE X-OUT UNINSTALL), and then try another doctor (3.0.2 or 3.0.3 shouldnt matter)
10th October 2011, 11:26 PM   |  #3  
Jacksonville, fl
Thanks Meter: 17

165 posts
More
to be honest i don't have to much know how with tablets. my guess is if you have issues with webosdoctor
you have hard drive issues. maybe googling hard drive problems will eliminate that.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App
10th October 2011, 11:33 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

17 posts
Just triple checked..... not on 3.0.3 (he's running 3.0.2) and no chomper/android ipk....

He did have the Warthog Kernel OCed at 1.7ghz installed. Though that ran perfectly fine for the the last few weeks. We just tried uninstalling the kernel just to double check and see if it has any effect, but no luck. Still back to previous state after restart, with Warthog Kernel back in place.

Update: Just flatout reinstalling the stock kernel on top does nothing either.
Last edited by lehel.babos; 10th October 2011 at 11:38 PM.
11th October 2011, 04:48 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 818

1,200 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehel.babos

Just triple checked..... not on 3.0.3 (he's running 3.0.2) and no chomper/android ipk....

He did have the Warthog Kernel OCed at 1.7ghz installed. Though that ran perfectly fine for the the last few weeks. We just tried uninstalling the kernel just to double check and see if it has any effect, but no luck. Still back to previous state after restart, with Warthog Kernel back in place.

Update: Just flatout reinstalling the stock kernel on top does nothing either.

Have you tried membooting the device off a kernel you ripped from webOS Doctor?

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover
30th October 2011, 09:06 PM   |  #6  
Flag Dallas, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
webOS doctors reinstall
[QUOTE=Nburnes;18306733]Have you tried membooting the device off a kernel you ripped from webOS Doctor?

The best way per HP support to reload the webOS doctor is to go to the HP profile manager from a Windows PC and you can download and install clean webOS doctor. I have successfully reloaded a clean webOS on my touchpad using the following steps.
You will need to put your touchpad into recovery mode, first turn off you touchpad then hold down volume up and power button and will go into recover mode
Connect USB cable between Windows PC and Touchpad
Go to the HP profile manager website and select download webOS Softer
Follow the steps on screen

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nburnes

Have you tried membooting the device off a kernel you ripped from webOS Doctor?

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_To_Recover

Best way to reload the webOS doctor is to go to the HP profile manager from a Windows PC and you can download and install clean webOS doctor. You will need to put your touchpad into recovery mode, first turn off you touchpad then hold down volume up and power button and will go into recover mode, connect USB cable between Windows PC and Touchpad.
30th October 2011, 10:51 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

46 posts
Donate to Me
I have the same problem as the OP. Also running 3.0.2, updates fail, doctor fails. Nova booted the image extracted from doctor, can't write anything, can't wipe LVM. It's like the whole thing is write protected.

If anyone finds a solution, please post!!!
31st October 2011, 02:02 AM   |  #8  
Flag Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 236

1,033 posts
More
try reinstalling novacom drivers, also, try just rebooting the pc, you'd be surprised how often that works (i had the same problem, rebooted, was able to doctor with no problem after that. seems like you have to hard terminate the connections)
31st October 2011, 03:12 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

46 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus_n313

try reinstalling novacom drivers, also, try just rebooting the pc, you'd be surprised how often that works (i had the same problem, rebooted, was able to doctor with no problem after that. seems like you have to hard terminate the connections)

TouchPad says it can't umount the log volume (as a matter of fact it can't even mount it to begin with), so its entirely unrelated to any computer the doctor runs on.

Eh, if only doctoring was the key. I'm not able to make persistent changes to the block device or the filesystems while I am working in a terminal, both the developer mode in WebOS or the nova booted rescue image. System executes write commands, but then I check things didn't get written.

As for computer, HP made me do doctoring on two different computers. Unsurprisingly the result was not any different.

HP is taking their sweet time to call me back from Level 3, personally I'm quite ready for the replacement, as at this point I am certain that I won't be able to fix it short of opening it up, and programming the flash using other means.
4th January 2012, 04:09 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
I just found that i have the same problem. Worst of all, it seems it's doing this on cyanogenmod also. I have android and webos on dual boot, tried to erase the android part with ACMEUninstaller, after reboot android was back. Erased the cm particions with novaterm, same result after reboot. I would really appreceate some help please, really desperate ...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
doctor, reset, stuck, touchpad, webos
Previous Thread Next Thread