Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

S4 Randomly Shuts Off After Screen Locks??????

OP RECKLESS PAIN

6th May 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Winfield
Thanks Meter: 1

30 posts
More
So I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded to kitkat. I'll be messing with my phone normally for all day and then once in awhile when I lock it and and go to pull it back out or unlock it, the phone is turn off. I know it shuts off because I have to hold the power button and all of a sudden the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen pops up like it usually does from boot up. This is really frustrating and I don't know why it keeps doing this. It's not usally a daily thing but I'll happen once every 3 to 4 days and sometimes happens twice a day. Has anyone else had this issue or know any suggestions how to fix it??????? Any help would be greatly appreciated! !!! My s4 is the Mk2 version btw.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
6th May 2014, 07:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 187

953 posts
More
You're on KitKat but you're on MK2?

6th May 2014, 08:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Winfield

30 posts
More
My S4 baseband version is the Mk2.

6th May 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #4  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,521

3,493 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECKLESS PAIN

My S4 baseband version is the Mk2.

You're baseband version only represents the modem you're on. When people say they're "on MK2" or "on MDK" they mean the bootloader version. What method did you use to upgrade to 4.4? Are you on the leak, NC2 or the official update NC5?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th May 2014, 08:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Winfield

30 posts
More
Official OTA Update

7th May 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Winfield

30 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219

You're baseband version only represents the modem you're on. When people say they're "on MK2" or "on MDK" they mean the bootloader version. What method did you use to upgrade to 4.4? Are you on the leak, NC2 or the official update NC5?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Anyway I can fix.this issue? Still need help!!!((

7th May 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #7  
Flag Philadelphia

3,493 posts
More
Quote:

Anyway I can fix.this issue? Still need help!!!((

Were you rooted or anything, or completely stock when you took the OTA? If you were completely stock, then the baseband should've updated to NC5 as well, so something went wrong with your update. Can you screenshot your about phone screen?
I wonder, if the modem didn't update with your OTA, then something might've went wrong with the boot.img/kernel as well, which is the most common culprit with this type of issue.

I'm going to say try a factory reset first and if the issue persists then you will need to use Odin to flash a fresh NC5 tar image.
7th May 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #8  
OP Member
Flag Winfield

30 posts
More
Quote:

Were you rooted or anything, or completely stock when you took the OTA? If you were completely stock, then the baseband should've updated to NC5 as well, so something went wrong with your update. Can you screenshot your about phone screen?
I wonder, if the modem didn't update with your OTA, then something might've went wrong with the boot.img/kernel as well, which is the most common culprit with this type of issue.

I'm going to say try a factory reset first and if the issue persists then you will need to use Odin to flash a fresh NC5 tar image.

Well I didn't realize on either updated it my baseband version changed from MK2 to NC5. So yeah it did change along with the OTA update. But see I DID have my phone rooted like 2 weeks before the OTA and decided I didn't want root on my S4 so I uninstalled, eveything. From SuperSU. To busybox. So when I took the update no I was not at the time rooted. But I'm thinking some old root filed are still on my phone causing it to do this random power off thing. So I don't know really what to do yet besides factory reset:C

Last edited by RECKLESS PAIN; 7th May 2014 at 02:50 PM.
7th May 2014, 03:10 PM   |  #9  
Flag Philadelphia

3,493 posts
More
Quote:

Well I didn't realize on either updated it my baseband version changed from MK2 to NC5. So yeah it did change along with the OTA update. But see I DID have my phone rooted like 2 weeks before the OTA and decided I didn't want root on my S4 so I uninstalled, eveything. From SuperSU. To busybox. So when I took the update no I was not at the time rooted. But I'm thinking some old root filed are still on my phone causing it to do this random power off thing. So I don't know really what to do yet besides factory reset:C

Yeah, unfortunately that seems like the only option. You might want to wait for someone else to chime in with an idea, but personally I don't care about the data on my phone so I would factory reset.
7th May 2014, 03:18 PM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Winfield

30 posts
More
Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately that seems like the only option. You might want to wait for someone else to chime in with an idea, but personally I don't care about the data on my phone so I would factory reset.

I'll give that a try. I didn't want to do that unless it.was absolutely the last choice I had. I'll see what it does after reseting it. Anyone have any other suggestions or have this hopping to them.as well?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread