Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,023 Members 44,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is GPS working RELIABLY for anyone?

Tip us?
 
ewok666
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 513
Join Date: Apr 2006
Default [Q] Is GPS working RELIABLY for anyone?

Hi Everyone,

I've seen three Note 3 on 4.4.2 and they ALL experience GPS resets and different times of the day. Unfortunately I do not have a Note 3 still on 4.3 and courtesy of Samsung I cannot downgrade. A number of users report that the issue was introduced on the N9005 with version 4.4.2.

I'm going to buy another Note 3 and NOT upgrade if this fixes the issue but I'd like to know whether anyone is using their GPS on the N9005 EXTENSIVELY, during the whole day and is not experiencing ANY odd GPS resets, GPS fix lost or other GPS related issues.

I don't want to know about the time it takes to get a fix or the quality of the signal. ALL of the phones I got to look at lost ALL satellites in places where there was NO reason to lose the fix, i.e. out in the open with clear view of the sky and ALL of them did so repeatedly.

If a new phone will fix the issue but I don't want to end up with another dud which I will then have to return. Because the issue is intermittent and somehow related to the time of day AND can only be reproduced outdoors this would be one painful exercise.

So if you do use GPS regularly to navigate etc please let me know how yours works and version of OS you're on.

TIA
 
ShadowLea
Old
#2  
ShadowLea's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 779
Posts: 3,483
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Enschede, The Netherlands
I use mine about 6-8 hours a day.

Mainly to keep track of where the train I am on currently is and for navigating streets. And to map out and follow a route when I'm doing an urban or landscape shoot. (Photography).

I've never had issues with my N9005 DBT 4.4.2 NB7, nor on any of the previous versions. It's always accurate and always constant. (Except when I'm in a tunnel or on the tube. But that's physics 101.)

It has never lost all satellites, nor has it ever lost the connection without a perfectly valid reason.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
uf21
Old
#3  
uf21's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 513
Join Date: Jun 2012
I've done a factory reset and my GPS still takes over 10 minutes to find my location....... If it finds it at all.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance.
 
ewok666
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 513
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by uf21 View Post
I've done a factory reset and my GPS still takes over 10 minutes to find my location....... If it finds it at all.
What ROM are you on and is this your first device?
 
celderic
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 181
Posts: 606
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea View Post
I use mine about 6-8 hours a day.

Mainly to keep track of where the train I am on currently is and for navigating streets. And to map out and follow a route when I'm doing an urban or landscape shoot. (Photography).

I've never had issues with my N9005 DBT 4.4.2 NB7, nor on any of the previous versions. It's always accurate and always constant. (Except when I'm in a tunnel or on the tube. But that's physics 101.)

It has never lost all satellites, nor has it ever lost the connection without a perfectly valid reason.
I agree with this post, never once had a problem.
I use mine for about 2 hours maximum everyday (so i can avoid traffic) mounted on my motorbike whilst riding to and from work, with a bluetooth headset in my helmet.
I am running a deodexed version of ND3

Sent from my SM-N9005
 
Someguyfromhell
Old
#6  
Someguyfromhell's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1997
Posts: 3,927
Join Date: Feb 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
I use stock unrooted 4.4.2 on N9005 and GPS has been working fine, no issues.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
 
4aces
Old
#7  
4aces's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 690
Posts: 583
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've seen three Note 3 on 4.4.2 and they ALL experience GPS resets and different times of the day. Unfortunately I do not have a Note 3 still on 4.3 and courtesy of Samsung I cannot downgrade. A number of users report that the issue was introduced on the N9005 with version 4.4.2.

I'm going to buy another Note 3 and NOT upgrade if this fixes the issue but I'd like to know whether anyone is using their GPS on the N9005 EXTENSIVELY, during the whole day and is not experiencing ANY odd GPS resets, GPS fix lost or other GPS related issues.

I don't want to know about the time it takes to get a fix or the quality of the signal. ALL of the phones I got to look at lost ALL satellites in places where there was NO reason to lose the fix, i.e. out in the open with clear view of the sky and ALL of them did so repeatedly.

If a new phone will fix the issue but I don't want to end up with another dud which I will then have to return. Because the issue is intermittent and somehow related to the time of day AND can only be reproduced outdoors this would be one painful exercise.

So if you do use GPS regularly to navigate etc please let me know how yours works and version of OS you're on.

TIA
May I ask how u experience the problem maybe I just don't get it. Is the GPS not working at all while maps or any GPS based app is running? Or does the phone tell u that GPS is not working? I'm on 4.4.2 without any issues of GPS
 
ewok666
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 513
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aces View Post
May I ask how u experience the problem maybe I just don't get it. Is the GPS not working at all while maps or any GPS based app is running? Or does the phone tell u that GPS is not working? I'm on 4.4.2 without any issues of GPS
Sure, my GPS is usually fine. Locks quickly and reception is OK. Obviously I lose signal in tunnels and in the CBD sometimes so this is not about that.

I could be in the middle of nowhere with nothing blocking my sight although it's obviously most annoying while driving. I lost the signal when I should not. It usually looks just like the GPS resets or so, without moving much at all the signal will drop from 20 satellites down to four then none within 2 or 3 seconds. Then it slowly comes back, gets a lock and works fine again. The lock could then last for a minute or two and then it just happens again. This seems to mostly happen in the afternoon to early evening.....don ask why :-|

I've tried just about everything. Initially I thought it was a hardware defect but my wife's Note 3 does exactly the same thing......what are the odds of having two Note 3 (bought different places about 2 weeks apart) the exact same problem? I had a quick look at a third one (not one of ours so I didn't get to spend much time with it) but it seemed to do the same thing as well, i.e. lost the signal while standing still with no buildings (and mountains etc) around me.
 
4aces
Old
#9  
4aces's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 690
Posts: 583
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default GPS fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
Sure, my GPS is usually fine. Locks quickly and reception is OK. Obviously I lose signal in tunnels and in the CBD sometimes so this is not about that.

I could be in the middle of nowhere with nothing blocking my sight although it's obviously most annoying while driving. I lost the signal when I should not. It usually looks just like the GPS resets or so, without moving much at all the signal will drop from 20 satellites down to four then none within 2 or 3 seconds. Then it slowly comes back, gets a lock and works fine again. The lock could then last for a minute or two and then it just happens again. This seems to mostly happen in the afternoon to early evening.....don ask why :-|

I've tried just about everything. Initially I thought it was a hardware defect but my wife's Note 3 does exactly the same thing......what are the odds of having two Note 3 (bought different places about 2 weeks apart) the exact same problem? I had a quick look at a third one (not one of ours so I didn't get to spend much time with it) but it seemed to do the same thing as well, i.e. lost the signal while standing still with no buildings (and mountains etc) around me.
I found this on xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612757

I don't know about the rom since I didn't try it but in the quote of the link is how he fixed the GPS issue. Seems like it is a software problem. If your phones are rooted try the method described in the quote if not try reset with backup via Google. Good luck.
 
ewok666
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Posts: 513
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4aces View Post
I found this on xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612757

I don't know about the rom since I didn't try it but in the quote of the link is how he fixed the GPS issue. Seems like it is a software problem. If your phones are rooted try the method described in the quote if not try reset with backup via Google. Good luck.
Unfortunately this is for 4.3 only and allegedly this issue was fixed with 4.4.2

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Make a Pre-Rooted Stock Sony ROMs in Just Few Clicks

Many usersdon’t see any particular reason to change out the stock firmware … more

Add Timestamps to Xposed Installer Logs with… Xposed!

If talking about the most interesting projects in the last few years, we must … more

Secrecy Goes Open Source, Assures File Encryption

As some of you may remember, a while back we spoke about Secrecy, an effective file … more

[APK] Google News and Weather Gets Material Design Makeover, Minor Maps Updates

Although Google has somewhat gotten out of the habit of their … more