Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,984 Members 45,638 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bypass Lockscreen Pin or Password with MDL Bootloader and 4.4.2 Touchwiz Base Rom

Tip us?

ish800
Old
(Last edited by ish800; 26th March 2014 at 08:36 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Bypass Lockscreen Pin or Password with MDL Bootloader and 4.4.2 Touchwiz Base Rom

After restarting my sgh-m919 I can Bypass the Pin or Password Lockscreen Security by immediately swiping. If i press the power button to lock the screen and awake the phone i still can bypass security by swiping. After several seconds the Lockscreen Pin or Password starts working and it continues to work until i restart the phone again.

This is with an MDL Bootloader and 4.4.2 Kit Kat Touchwiz based roms. I've tried Fenny's rom, Sickness, and some other roms.like wicked, virgin, hyperdrive, etc. Just not sure which ones were Touchwiz based after trying so many different roms. I tried GPE rom and lockscreen security works, and other AOSP rom like CM are working. So are 4.3 based roms.

I guess the latest KNOX security (update M919UVUFNB4 4.4.2) make the Bootloader and OS rely on each other when booting up to make the lockscreen work?

Can anyone here confirm that (with the NB4 Bootloader and Touchwiz based 4.4.2 roms) you can or cannot bypass pin or password security immediately after your phone restarts?

ish800
Old
(Last edited by ish800; 26th March 2014 at 06:52 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I don't get it. Why are people not even talking about this. There are many people with the old MDL bootloader (without KNOX VOID WARRANTY) but I don't see anyone really talking about it. Is this not that serious of an issue? The only person i saw mention something about the lockscreen and Pin not working cause of KNOX was Fenny on this Post.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...02&postcount=4

In the same thread vicvon asked if the pin on lockscreen was working as it isn't on i9505 4.4.2 but i'm not sure if he's talking about the same issue here?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=38

In this thread i mentioned to sickness about this issue and he didn't even know about it. Crawler said that it's happening to him also.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...683507&page=72
I just want to know that it's not just me and that were trying to figure out what is going on or atleast find a temporary solution.

Come on let's talk about this, it's a major security flaw, i don't even know where to start to try and fix this myself.

I give much props, respect, honor, appreciation, and thanks to all the developers and others that put effort into making these roms work and fixing issues that Samsung and other phone companies don't even want to bother with. Any input is appreciated, even if it's not negative.

ish800
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
What do others do? Do you just deal with it? Would you just update your bootloader to make it work? Are you just using older version like 4.2 or 4.3 roms until a solution is discovered? Or are others just using non-touchwiz roms.

I've always been a user of pure android stock aosp roms like vanilla but I rather use touchwiz roms on my Galaxy S4 just to get all the features , then customize what i want or not want.

ish800
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Use Pattern option for the lockscreen as a temporary solution.

I just noticed that if i use a Pattern for the Lockscreen it works fine, even if i swipe incorrectly several times i can then enter my pin afterwards. The Pattern lockscreen seems to be working fine after restarting the phone.

So for anyone who is experiencing this problem, use the Pattern including Pin setting for the lockscreen.

elesbb
Old
Thanks Meter 4,371

DONATE TO ME
What do you mean by bypass? Btw you gotta give people time to read your post, research your post, then reply. Can't expect everything right away.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ish800
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
What do you mean by bypass? Btw you gotta give people time to read your post, research your post, then reply. Can't expect everything right away.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
OK sorry, i'm not use to posting. I understand.

I've been trying some roms. I setup my lockscreen with a pin or password. Then i restart my phone. As soon as it loads up i can swipe and the phone unlocks to homescreen without having to enter the pin or password.

These are the rom's I've tried that does it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05&postcount=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=1

elesbb
Old
(Last edited by elesbb; 28th March 2014 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4,371

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ish800 View Post
OK sorry, i'm not use to posting. I understand.

I've been trying some roms. I setup my lockscreen with a pin or password. Then i restart my phone. As soon as it loads up i can swipe and the phone unlocks to homescreen without having to enter the pin or password.

These are the rom's I've tried that does it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...05&postcount=1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=1
Have you wiped your data after flashing the ROM?

I just tried it on my ROM and it works perfectly. I'm on MDL bootloader running the NB4 modem with T-Mobile 4.4.2 ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to elesbb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ish800
Old
(Last edited by ish800; 28th March 2014 at 12:08 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
Have you wiped your data after flashing the ROM?

I just tried it on my ROM and it works perfectly. I'm on MDL bootloader running the MK2 modem with T-Mobile 4.4.2 ROM.
Yes I wipe cache dalvik system, everything.

I just tried this rom TMO 4.2.2 Rom from elesbb and it works fine.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...38&postcount=1

BTW I have MDL Bootloader and NB4 Baseband.

Oh, I just realized the rom i tried thats working is yours, Thanks bro.

I wonder if it's the kernel that you use that makes it work. Try one of the roms that i listed and see what I'm talking about. I'm going to flash the roms i'm experiencing the issue with a different kernel to see if it works.

ish800
Old
(Last edited by ish800; 28th March 2014 at 02:48 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I just tried sickness rom (insane kit kat) with this kernel ([KERNEL][TMO][AOSP/TW/GE - 4.4/4.3/4.2][03/27/2014] KT-SGS4 - MJ5 - KTweaker) and it worked fine. The lockscreen works as it should.

Lobster!
Old
Thanks Meter 10
This worked for me. But in the oddest way actually. I was at a family party and friends would keep snatching my phone, so I put a lock on it. For some reason however, i'm guessing the Google keyboard had a glitch when I was putting in the pin and it completely misinterpreted what I input... twice? Anyways, I set it all up and locked my phone and thought nothing of it. When I pressed the home key to turn my screen on, I tried putting the code in and it locked me out. Terrified I had no backup of ANYTHING, I didn't know what to do. So I reflashed my ROM without wiping, and it didn't work. So I reboot my phone trying to see if it'll help, and the lock pin and clock were gone but I had my finger on the screen and the flare effect happened. I slid the screen and it worked. So I re-tried this a few extra times and it still worked. Backed everything up, got home and wiped away.

I'd never think I'd say this but, wow that bug SAVED my ass!
Phone; Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919

Carrier; T-Mobile USA.

ROM/Kernel: Google Edition/VirginROM and GOLDENEYE