Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Rooting Nook Simple Touch 1.2.1 Reccomendation

OP contractubex

11th August 2013, 03:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Hello! I have not rooted an android device in a lot of time, and I am basically a noob, but I do read a lot, and my first rooting more than year ago turned out to be a complete success, as far as my knowledge goes.

Now I have A Nook Simple Touch model BNRV-300 with current firmware version 1.2.1 and I would like to add more features to it, because for the price I got it it gives me NOTHING I need.
B&N Forcing updates over the air and registration using the Internet when I first start the device is RIDICULOUS and is evenworse than a DRM protection!
product containing such DRM should be banned for sale at least in Eirope by the Customer PRotection, for limitations they imply on the users!!!


now lets return to the topic and my QUESTION

I already said I have a Nook Simple Touch BNRV-300 with current firmware version 1.2.1
My question is: Currently what is the best method to Root this device in order to get access to more features software? I am looking for method that includes making a BACKUP. Is there currently and entire Custom firmware released that will REPLACE the existing useless firmware on the Nook Simple touch?
What custom apps, kernel, and roms can you reccoment me?

Also If you know any interesting guides I will be happy to read them!

Thank you in advance and have a nice reading!
Last edited by contractubex; 11th August 2013 at 04:34 PM.
11th August 2013, 08:21 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
197 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
NookManagerand NTGAppsAttack; latuk's latest kernel for overclocking, ondemand governor and Class 10 SD card fix; old versions of Kindle (3.2.0.35), Google Books (1.0.16), Kobo (3.3.1517), Aldiko (200081), Perfect Viewer (1.9.2.2), iTriage (4.00), Springpad (3.2.7) and ReadItLater (1.3.0.1). From the market; Aardict (with full text of Wikipedia etc.), APV PDF Viewer, BBC News, Channel 4 News, Checkers, Chess, ColorDict, ConvertPad, Cook Recipes, Crosswords, Depth of Field Calculator, Dreams Interpretation, ElectroDroid, FastMode2, FBReader, Four in a Row, gReader, Guardian, Independent, Laters Pro, Google Maps, Nemo Picross, New Scientist, OpenSudoku, Opera Mini, Photo Tools, ReadIt, RealCalc, Reversi, Shelves 0.0.0.1c, Sky News, Super sudoku, SuperCHM, UK Newspapers, WebMD, Wikitravel Offline, Wikivoyage offline, World Newspapers.
8th April 2014, 09:43 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
125 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
I've just got a Nook simple touch. I want to root it. Need the best procedure to do so.

Nook Simple Touch
Model Number; BNRV300
SW version: 1.2.1
9th April 2014, 12:16 AM   |  #4  
OverByter's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 32
 
155 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameee781

I've just got a Nook simple touch. I want to root it. Need the best procedure to do so.

Nook Simple Touch
Model Number; BNRV300
SW version: 1.2.1

Look up, or start here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35267728
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
9th April 2014, 12:54 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Ditto what OverByter said. The NookManager is, in my experience, a very simple and foolproof method. Whether you decide to pursue GoogleApps, etc., is up to you. But for root and a simple initial set-up, NM is the way to go, IMHO.
4th May 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Just rooted and installed google market
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

Ditto what OverByter said. The NookManager is, in my experience, a very simple and foolproof method. Whether you decide to pursue GoogleApps, etc., is up to you. But for root and a simple initial set-up, NM is the way to go, IMHO.

Hi, following the advice from this thread, I just rooted my Nook Simple Touch GlowLight. I have previously rooted nook simple touch with the same process.
The market is working, gmail is working. What I dont understand is how to make it user friendly etc. How do I make it like a tablet. I installed some launchers but I have to go into apps and then select it to run it everytime.

I am just wondering what should be done once you have rooted and googlified the nook.

Any recommendations on launchers, themes any other enhancements and ideas to use a rooted nook will be really helpful.

Thank you!!
5th May 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
I tried a bunch of launchers when I first rooted and finally settled on ADW. For me it was easy to set up (once I got over the "I don't know anything about Android" feeling) and I initially used the selected app screen as my "Home". There are two ways to do that. One, after installing ADW and rebooting the Nook it will ask which app you want to use to open "Home" and you will have a chance to set that one as default (either the B&N stock Home screen or the ADW app drawer). And/or, you can use NTMM to assign the QuickNav "Home" button to ADW Launcher.

Pretty much any launcher should provide you with the same options once installed when you reboot.

So that's what I used to do but I eventually went back to the B&N "Home" screen on boot and then after that I can access it from a long press of the "N" button (again, you can assign that with NTMM). I've almost completely reassigned by QuickNav buttons (except for Library). See this post (result in #4).

I've also done the multi-touch enhancement (nice for Opera Mobile and some other apps), No-Refresh and FastMode2 (contrary to what the posts seem to indicate about FastMode2 I have found that the app does indeed toggle the mode on my NST so I assigned it to one of the side buttons and No-Refresh to another one).

Lots of info on various apps out there. Here's my "short" list of what worked for me (in no particular order):

Cool Reader (I only use this to set the screen saver to my current book!)
Perfect Viewer
Crosswords
Amazon Kindle (the enhanced version posted elsewhere on XDA)
Orion PDF viewer
QuickPic
PrinterShare
Kingsoft Office
Dropbox
ES File Explorer
Places (Google Maps variant)
Email (gave up on Gmail--this app is found in another XDA post as well)
Opera Mobile
NewsHog
BBC News

Those are on my ADW home screen along with the GenieWidget for local weather and a widget for Clean Master. I've divided the app drawer behind the home screen into two categories, "everything" and "utilities" which is where I leave my focus and there the following are found:

ADB Konnect
Clean Master
No-frills CPU Control
Nook Touch Mod Manager
No Refresh settings
Root Browser
Rotation Locker
Search Market (got rid of Amazon Market which was giving me a lot of trouble)
Settings (B&N)
Tasker
WiFi File Transfer

Other apps that hide in the "everything" section because I almost never need to access them are:

ADW Config
AdAway
FastMode2
News and Weather (Genie Widget)
No Refresh
RockPlayer
Superuser
etc.

I also did the triple Flash installation described elsewhere but it really only works with SWF files as far as I can tell and only with Flash-able browsers like Dolphin (which has other issues). And I did a Framework-res.apk mod to slightly grey the backgrounds of menus so that some of the "invisible" menu options that come with many apps can actually be read).

I don't know how many times I've made backups and redone things, trying to find what works for me (mostly reading, some browsing). My Nook is still fully B&N functional, as far as I know. The only thing I have not tried is logging on in the store. Except for the inadequacy of Opera Mobile (I've tried every other browser known to humans and aliens), the set-up actually is pretty nice
5th May 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin

I tried a bunch of launchers when I first rooted and finally settled on ADW. For me it was easy to set up (once I got over the "I don't know anything about Android" feeling) and I initially used the selected app screen as my "Home". There are two ways to do that. One, after installing ADW and rebooting the Nook it will ask which app you want to use to open "Home" and you will have a chance to set that one as default (either the B&N stock Home screen or the ADW app drawer). And/or, you can use NTMM to assign the QuickNav "Home" button to ADW Launcher.

Pretty much any launcher should provide you with the same options once installed when you reboot.

So that's what I used to do but I eventually went back to the B&N "Home" screen on boot and then after that I can access it from a long press of the "N" button (again, you can assign that with NTMM). I've almost completely reassigned by QuickNav buttons (except for Library). See this post (result in #4).

I've also done the multi-touch enhancement (nice for Opera Mobile and some other apps), No-Refresh and FastMode2 (contrary to what the posts seem to indicate about FastMode2 I have found that the app does indeed toggle the mode on my NST so I assigned it to one of the side buttons and No-Refresh to another one).

Lots of info on various apps out there. Here's my "short" list of what worked for me (in no particular order):

Cool Reader (I only use this to set the screen saver to my current book!)
Perfect Viewer
Crosswords
Amazon Kindle (the enhanced version posted elsewhere on XDA)
Orion PDF viewer
QuickPic
PrinterShare
Kingsoft Office
Dropbox
ES File Explorer
Places (Google Maps variant)
Email (gave up on Gmail--this app is found in another XDA post as well)
Opera Mobile
NewsHog
BBC News

Those are on my ADW home screen along with the GenieWidget for local weather and a widget for Clean Master. I've divided the app drawer behind the home screen into two categories, "everything" and "utilities" which is where I leave my focus and there the following are found:

ADB Konnect
Clean Master
No-frills CPU Control
Nook Touch Mod Manager
No Refresh settings
Root Browser
Rotation Locker
Search Market (got rid of Amazon Market which was giving me a lot of trouble)
Settings (B&N)
Tasker
WiFi File Transfer

Other apps that hide in the "everything" section because I almost never need to access them are:

ADW Config
AdAway
FastMode2
News and Weather (Genie Widget)
No Refresh
RockPlayer
Superuser
etc.

I also did the triple Flash installation described elsewhere but it really only works with SWF files as far as I can tell and only with Flash-able browsers like Dolphin (which has other issues). And I did a Framework-res.apk mod to slightly grey the backgrounds of menus so that some of the "invisible" menu options that come with many apps can actually be read).

I don't know how many times I've made backups and redone things, trying to find what works for me (mostly reading, some browsing). My Nook is still fully B&N functional, as far as I know. The only thing I have not tried is logging on in the store. Except for the inadequacy of Opera Mobile (I've tried every other browser known to humans and aliens), the set-up actually is pretty nice

Great list! Didn't know about Wifi transfer. Very usefull.

What version of Crosswords did you get to work on your nook. I couldn't get any of the ones I tried to work?
5th May 2014, 05:29 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoop

Great list! Didn't know about Wifi transfer. Very usefull.

What version of Crosswords did you get to work on your nook. I couldn't get any of the ones I tried to work?

Yes, I really like WiFi Transfer. Saves a lot of wear and tear on that USB jack. The only limitation I could find (beyond the 5 MB file size limit for the free version) is that transfers to the internal My Files folder are not updated in the Library unless you reboot. So I just use the sdcard.

You're right, no market crossword apps work properly on the rooted Nook. I accidentally stumbled across a version of Crosswords that does, however. Check your PMs.
5th May 2014, 05:40 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
71 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin


You're right, no market crossword apps work properly on the rooted Nook. I accidentally stumbled across a version of Crosswords that does, however. Check your PMs.

PMs? I don't understand.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes