Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,688 Members 40,539 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What are firmwares, CSC, kernels etc..

Tip us?

raziel54
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] What are firmwares, CSC, kernels etc..

Hi, I'm planning on flashing a custom rom and I don't know a thing about customization, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could explain those things? Thanks!

efaustino84
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel54 View Post
Hi, I'm planning on flashing a custom rom and I don't know a thing about customization, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone could explain those things? Thanks!
very vague question so difficult to provide you with an answer
how ever
have a read through the forums and you will learn about what those are and how to flash them and how they work together
Use the search functionality before you post as the question may have already been asked

I don't need donations, all I ask for is a bit of thanks and some appreciation for my work
My Work

raziel54
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry, just a newbie here, but thanks for your reply.

Can I ask you where I could get this stock rom? I am planning on getting CM11 but I wanted to have a contingency plan first. Click image for larger version

Name:	1399563360387.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2732544

Sent from my GT-I8190 using XDA Free mobile app

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Sorry, just a newbie here, but thanks for your reply.

Can I ask you where I could get this stock rom? I am planning on getting CM11 but I wanted to have a contingency plan first. Attachment 2732544

You can get original stock ROMs from : sammobile.com/firmware

Type on dailer *#1234# to see your current AP, CSC and MODEM version. Notice or note your AP,CSC and MODEM version (you need it if you want your original firmware back)

If you want your original stock ROM back then go to http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ type your noticed version in the fields (PDA, CSC, MODEM) and download it. done!

Check Screenshot!

Note : you need a SamMobile account for downloading firmwares
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399564230131.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2732563  
The Following User Says Thank You to xXPR0T0TYPEXx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raziel54
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! One more question, I have read that the kernel also changes when I flash CM11, if I would like to revert to Stock do which file is the kernel? Is it the PDA, CSC or Modem? I'm now downloading my stock rom from sammobile thanks to you!

xXPR0T0TYPEXx
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Thanks! One more question, I have read that the kernel also changes when I flash CM11, if I would like to revert to Stock do which file is the kernel? Is it the PDA, CSC or Modem? I'm now downloading my stock rom from sammobile thanks to you!
In PDA
if you install a custom recovery example TWRP or CWM then you're able to backup your current Stock ROM and safe it on your PC, laptop or external SD card till you want it back . If you want your Stock ROM back then you can simple restore it via custom recovery

Note : a backup of the Stock ROM take very often more than 2GB!

Good luck with flashing
The Following User Says Thank You to xXPR0T0TYPEXx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raziel54
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! Does installing cwm requires rooting?

raziel54
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bro, I just rooted my phone and installed twrp, it came with busy box with smart install in it, what does it do?

efaustino84
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Quote:
Bro, I just rooted my phone and installed twrp, it came with busy box with smart install in it, what does it do?

please make use of the search tools before posting
all of your questions can be answered if you search for them
Use the search functionality before you post as the question may have already been asked

I don't need donations, all I ask for is a bit of thanks and some appreciation for my work
My Work