Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AN-21 U Hardware specs/hacks

Tip us?

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Default AN-21 U Hardware specs/hacks

Thread dedicated to hardware specific findings for 4.1 android head units.

General discussion found on this thread forked here to avoid making an already super long thread too much longer with hardware details most people don't really care about.

OP is a Placeholder for now, will expand and keep updated with any findings later.

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Default Pics

Preliminary closeups uploaded to flicker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/114497256@N08/

In my urge to take closeups and readable pics of chips I managed not to snap any picture of the whole boart, especially the top part of the board. I believe @KID52 had some pics posted early on either in the OUKU thread or the AN-21 U thread...

The Android daughterboard is soldered on the bottom side, we can see a couple of unpopulated headers, one of which could be a possible ADB...

Also we can see the GPS antenna connects directly to that board, as opposed to BT board (sorry no good pic yet, we can see a corner of it on the right side of this image), TV, DVD, and just about everything else...

A few good shots of the MCU chip STM8AH 6189TAKIT. From the spec sheet we can see it's a FLASH no EPROM type 64Kb flash memory 64 pin LQFP package rated -40 to 85 Celsius (not the best for automotive if you ask me).

Also we can see that the reset and swim (pins 1 and 58) connect to nothing, killing the hope that Conn 6 could be a programmer connector for the mcu (following traces, that seems to be a video input)

Also interesting is U9: 74HC4052 4-channel analog multiplexer/demultiplexer
The Following User Says Thank You to sciallo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KID52
Old
Thanks Meter 132
From the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KID52 View Post
For those interested, here are some internal shots. Not the best as I used my phone, but not awful either.

The Following User Says Thank You to KID52 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by KID52 View Post
From the other thread.
Thanks! Glad to see that the mainboard seems Identical to mine even though it's from a different face model. I'm sure the electronics for color change are in the face board wich is significantly different but connects the same way.

If thee is no other options a replacement board shouldn't be too expensive considering there is single knob units out there for ~$300 complete

donaldta
Old
Thanks Meter 450

DONATE TO ME
Wow. Thanks you guys. I must have missed KID52's post from the other thread somehow. But, it definitely gives me better context. It looks like the "MCU" is actually the main board and the "ARM (Android)" is a daughterboard to it. I am now beginning to wonder if the units prior to this had the similar internals and the "MCU" was just disguised to look like Windows CE.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I know this is not a picture of an AN 21-U variant but here's the innards of the S150 where someone was able to figure out how to connect via ADB to the Android board on the unit. There are more pictures and useful information linked to the picture below. Maybe it will help someone get an idea of the possibilities to interact with the individual components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoTiX2

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta View Post
Wow. Thanks you guys. I must have missed KID52's post from the other thread somehow. But, it definitely gives me better context. It looks like the "MCU" is actually the main board and the "ARM (Android)" is a daughterboard to it. I am now beginning to wonder if the units prior to this had the similar internals and the "MCU" was just disguised to look like Windows CE.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I know this is not a picture of an AN 21-U variant but here's the innards of the S150 where someone was able to figure out how to connect via ADB to the Android board on the unit. There are more pictures and useful information linked to the picture below. Maybe it will help someone get an idea of the possibilities to interact with the individual components.
I'm kind of thinking in our case it might be easier than that, the empty pads on the bottom right of the daughterboard kind of look like a usb connector... Am I going to have the balls to test that theory?.... Not sure, unless I end up with a spare board if the MCU doesn't get fixed by the upcoming update...

Kind of funny the size of that daughterboard is about the size of a smartphone...

Black6spdZ
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciallo View Post
I'm kind of thinking in our case it might be easier than that, the empty pads on the bottom right of the daughterboard kind of look like a usb connector... Am I going to have the balls to test that theory?.... Not sure, unless I end up with a spare board if the MCU doesn't get fixed by the upcoming update...

Kind of funny the size of that daughterboard is about the size of a smartphone...
Just from looking at it I don't think its USB pinout.. you can see pin-2 is connected to ground, my guess is TTL serial.. power, ground and rx/tx perhaps. Could just be a serial I/O for the GPS since it's in such close proximity

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black6spdZ View Post
Just from looking at it I don't think its USB pinout.. you can see pin-2 is connected to ground, my guess is TTL serial.. power, ground and rx/tx perhaps. Could just be a serial I/O for the GPS since it's in such close proximity
I see your point....

Kind of hard to follow traces without being able to see the other side... Not about to ohm traces out either as that has burned me before. Multimeters (at least any of the ones I have) do apply a small amount of voltage to ohm things out... In circuits like these, enough to throw things off...

donaldta
Old
(Last edited by donaldta; 15th January 2014 at 04:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 450

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciallo View Post
Kind of hard to follow traces without being able to see the other side... Not about to ohm traces out either as that has burned me before. Multimeters (at least any of the ones I have) do apply a small amount of voltage to ohm things out... In circuits like these, enough to throw things off...
You never want to measure resistance on a live circuit. That's a "don't do" multimeter 101 lesson. Not only do you get false readings, you can also end up damaging the multimeter. If you need to get the impedance on a live circuit, the proper thing is to extrapolate it through VIR equation. Using the measurement of the voltage pressure and current as variables.

In any case, if you are interested here is an article, "Reverse Engineering Serial Ports", that describes a way of identifying serial ports. And if you're looking for an awesome tool, check out the Bus Pirate and the JTAGulator.

sciallo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldta View Post
You never want to measure resistance on a live circuit. That's a "don't do" multimeter 101 lesson. Not only do you get false readings, you can also end up damaging the multimeter. If you need to get the impedance on a live circuit, the proper thing is to extrapolate it through VIR equation. Using the measurement of the voltage pressure and current as variables.

In any case, if you are interested here is an article, "Reverse Engineering Serial Ports", that describes a way of identifying serial ports. And if you're looking for an awesome tool, check out the Bus Pirate and the JTAGulator.
Well, I was talking non live circuit either, no power to the board, the multimeter puts enough on it to mess things up ins some rare cases...

REALLY interesting tools! I'll have to do some more reading...

Tags
an-21 u, ouku, th8681ga