Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 38,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need help to decide what to buy

Tip us?

hajime_android
Old
(Last edited by hajime_android; 26th March 2014 at 01:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Need help to decide what to buy

Hello, because of my job, I need to use my 15" MacBook Pro daily. However, I also want to buy a tablet so that I can read/annotate pdf files while on public transportation and on the bus stop. In my current city, I spend about an hour each day on the bus and 30-50 minutes waiting at the bus stop. On the evening and perhaps sometimes on the weekend, I prefer to bring a lighter tablet with me.

Every 2-3 months, I stay in another city for a week or so. In that city, I spend about 2 hours on public transportation daily. During the summer, I stay in another country for about 2 months.

At the beginning, I was considering to buy the Note PRO 12.2. However, after trying the wifi version two times (no LTE version in my city yet), I don't find it attractive. For example, a bit heavier, without rooting can't have several windows stacking on top of each other likes Windows OS, not all apps can be multi-tasked, large screen but same resolution as the 10.1 2014, virtual keyboard taking half the screen, etc. Also, if I get a Note PRO 12.2, I have to carry it with my 15" laptop when I am traveling.

So, it seems that my choice is 10.1 2014 or Note PRO 8.4" when available. Is this the right way to think? I hope to make the purchase in about 2 months as I have delayed the purchase since last December.

Although being able to view two pdf files side by side is good, I cannot test it because only one local store has the device. They don't allow connection to the internet. I can't test the device by downloading some pdf files.

Yoshi1221
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I have my note pro in a bag that I carry with me for college and when I am on the bus. Only difference between the note pro and the note 10.1 2014 other than the screen size is the multi window, the note 10.1 can only do 2 windows while the note pro can do up to 4. If you use pen window, you can cheat it and possibly go to 6-7. You can also do that on the note 10.1 as well. If you are looking for a pen tablet, I'd go with the note 10.1 2014 or the note pro, if you plan on wanting portability, then you can go for the tab pro 8.4 . I believe all pro series does come with Hancom office, which is like Microsoft Office. That's what sold me to get the note pro. Prices for all of them went down on amazon.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium HD app

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks. I do need the pen. Too bad Samsung has not made the Note Pro 8.4".

muzzy996
Old
(Last edited by muzzy996; 26th March 2014 at 07:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 154
I dunno man, I am not the type of person who is motivated to convince others to buy something I did just to feel better about my own purchase decisions. That said I would suggest considering a surface pro 2 for a few reasons:
  • You mention window stacking as opposed to side by side. Text and interface item scaling in multi-window can behave oddly in some apps that you force to do it once rooted.
  • You mention comparing pdf documents of the same type at the same time; out of the box you can do this with windows but you'll have to force android to do it and I personally haven't tried it so I'm not sure how well apps behave when you do.
  • You want to do heavy PDF annotation. I've spent a lot on pdf applications and can never find one that works well for this. The best that I have found FOR ME is Easy PDF. I do engineering plan reviews and the plan sets I open for review can have hundreds of sheets (300 sheets that are 24"x36" are not uncommon). All of the apps that I have tried work slowly and are clunky with my large files.

The thing is, aside from size none of the other complaints you have about the note pro will go away when you switch to a smaller note tablet.

At least with the surface pro you are getting a full fledged OS that out of the box will do much of the things that you want. Virtual keyboards though are by nature par for the course with tablets (and the tab pro has size options on the keyboard just like other Android devices have) although with the surface there are some elegant keyboard case options. It's all subjective of course, I don't like large keyboard cases that increase the size of the tablet so much that they look like netbooks.

All that said I do enjoy my note pro and I am satisfied with my sacrifices on the productivity side (plan review) which are outweighed by the entertainment value of the device. I simply love android and customizing my android devices.

Edit:

Just want to add that I fully realize that just because I can't do everything that I want to do with regards to productivity applications doesn't mean others can't do what they want to do. A lot of threads end up getting filled with debates over what works well and what doesn't but at the end of the day while there may be some basic commonality among workflows everyone has different needs so the only way to truly know is to try to use the device yourself. Retailers with flexible return policies are a great way to do that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MONSTERELLEVEN
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Let me try to give you some quick conclusion for the 3 tablets that you would choose from :
based on what you gave above and the common usage of your tablet it will be for reading mostly and a slight pdf editing if that happens so with that its better to go minimal and handy and get the tab pro 8.4 as it will be your best choice for reading and the slight editing etc
( all pro versions come with hancom office so you will get all the goodies with whatever tablets you choose) .
most of our usage for a tablet is multimedia consumption and that likes to be on a big screen for better entertaining experience and in your case if you wish to have the reading and multimedia both in a pretty portable size then go for the note 10.1 2014 edition or the tab pro 10.1 ( if you don't need the s-pen ( you got to keep in mind that the three tablets note 10.1/tab pro 10.1 / tab pro 8.4 have a pretty slight price difference and the choice will be up to you etc) .
*** transportation where you stay will also be important : if its not overcrowded and every time you will be able to have a seat and not so tight in crowd or standing then any of all the tablets will be very fine for you as after all if you are sitting you will find a nice way to hold your tablet somehow comfortably .
12.2 : after you finish your day and resting at home it will be time for media or nice relaxing reading and that size is the best when it comes to the in-house usage as you will always find a comfy way to do whatever you need with your tablet weather if you put it on your lab or a table or on a stand or on a pillow in bed and so on .
so here is my advice to you : think of your tablet needs in-house and out-house usage before you make a decision . Good luck with your pick.
Hope i helped you make your choice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MONSTERELLEVEN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wlachan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Depends on what kind of pdf you read. If they are novels or similar format, 8" will be fine and can be held in one hand comfortably. If it's double column or technical stuffs, 12.2" is almost like a full size hard copy. It is a high price for this single purpose however, even though it does well. I have not tried the 10" so can't comment. Personally, I bought the 12.2 mainly for pdf but only because there is no alternative at the moment. Couldn't care less about all the gimmicks that comes with it. Maybe I should get the Tab Pro and save $100.
The Following User Says Thank You to wlachan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Diogenes5
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android View Post
Hello, because of my job, I need to use my 15" MacBook Pro daily. However, I also want to buy a tablet so that I can read/annotate pdf files while on public transportation and on the bus stop. In my current city, I spend about an hour each day on the bus and 30-50 minutes waiting at the bus stop. On the evening and perhaps sometimes on the weekend, I prefer to bring a lighter tablet with me.

Every 2-3 months, I stay in another city for a week or so. In that city, I spend about 2 hours on public transportation daily. During the summer, I stay in another country for about 2 months.

At the beginning, I was considering to buy the Note PRO 12.2. However, after trying the wifi version two times (no LTE version in my city yet), I don't find it attractive. For example, a bit heavier, without rooting can't have several windows stacking on top of each other likes Windows OS, not all apps can be multi-tasked, large screen but same resolution as the 10.1 2014, virtual keyboard taking half the screen, etc. Also, if I get a Note PRO 12.2, I have to carry it with my 15" laptop when I am traveling.
Hi, I believe I am in a very similar position to you. As a student, I have a MBPr 15" for most functions and a Note 10.1 2014 for PDF annotation. The normal workflow on my note 10.1 2014 is to take notes on it or annotate PDF's on it and then have that sync to dropbox and then viewable on my phone or MBPr later on to supplement studying. The Note 10.1 2014 is a good device but I haven't rooted it so I haven't been able to use my old Note 10.1 1st Gen Workflow of having Lecture Notes open next to EZPDF. It was always cramped when I used it this way too so I'm hoping the Note 12.2 Pro fits my needs. It comes in today so I'll be able to update you later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi1221 View Post
Only difference between the note pro and the note 10.1 2014 other than the screen size is the multi window ...

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium HD app
Well ... there's is the screen which is 44% bigger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
I dunno man, I am not the type of person who is motivated to convince others to buy something I did just to feel better about my own purchase decisions. That said I would suggest considering a surface pro 2 for a few reasons:
  • You mention window stacking as opposed to side by side. Text and interface item scaling in multi-window can behave oddly in some apps that you force to do it once rooted.
  • You mention comparing pdf documents of the same type at the same time; out of the box you can do this with windows but you'll have to force android to do it and I personally haven't tried it so I'm not sure how well apps behave when you do.
  • You want to do heavy PDF annotation. I've spent a lot on pdf applications and can never find one that works well for this. The best that I have found FOR ME is Easy PDF. I do engineering plan reviews and the plan sets I open for review can have hundreds of sheets (300 sheets that are 24"x36" are not uncommon). All of the apps that I have tried work slowly and are clunky with my large files.

The thing is, aside from size none of the other complaints you have about the note pro will go away when you switch to a smaller note tablet.

At least with the surface pro you are getting a full fledged OS that out of the box will do much of the things that you want. Virtual keyboards though are by nature par for the course with tablets (and the tab pro has size options on the keyboard just like other Android devices have) although with the surface there are some elegant keyboard case options. It's all subjective of course, I don't like large keyboard cases that increase the size of the tablet so much that they look like netbooks.

All that said I do enjoy my note pro and I am satisfied with my sacrifices on the productivity side (plan review) which are outweighed by the entertainment value of the device. I simply love android and customizing my android devices.

Edit:

Just want to add that I fully realize that just because I can't do everything that I want to do with regards to productivity applications doesn't mean others can't do what they want to do. A lot of threads end up getting filled with debates over what works well and what doesn't but at the end of the day while there may be some basic commonality among workflows everyone has different needs so the only way to truly know is to try to use the device yourself. Retailers with flexible return policies are a great way to do that.
These are all good points. My main use is pdf annotation and lecture notes and pdf annotation is really clunky. But the problem with surface pro is bad battery life and having to use windows 8 (which I hate for most other things). I got the note 10.1 2014 because it was half th eprice but the pro 12.2 is almost as expensive. Samsung is just milking early consumers though as they already lowered the price by $50 and given the bill of materials is probably only like 250 for this thing (given it uses all of the same components as a note 10.1 2014 except for the screen), I'd say they have plenty of room to pricecut versus an Intel-based device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlachan View Post
Depends on what kind of pdf you read. If they are novels or similar format, 8" will be fine and can be held in one hand comfortably. If it's double column or technical stuffs, 12.2" is almost like a full size hard copy. It is a high price for this single purpose however, even though it does well. I have not tried the 10" so can't comment. Personally, I bought the 12.2 mainly for pdf but only because there is no alternative at the moment. Couldn't care less about all the gimmicks that comes with it. Maybe I should get the Tab Pro and save $100.
There are intel-based alternatives such as the ultrabooks and laptops that have digitizers as well as the surface-pro. The Sony Flip 14 is about the same price but much bulkier. You're right, nothing does come close in terms of lightness and mobility in terms of battery life but it's an expensive price Samsung is charging right now. Mine is coming in the mail and if it doesn't live up to expectations, I expect to stick to my note 10.1 2014 or maybe even go to a Sony Flip 13.

I really wish Samsung would pay for the guys behind iannotate to make a good version of their program for Android. It's probably the number one use of everyone I've met with the device to read and markup pdf's. Ezpdf is ok but lacking the ease-of-use for a flagship program.
Galaxy Note 3- Stock, no Root Yet
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 - Stock, no Root Yet
Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight - Rooted and Rommed
The Following User Says Thank You to Diogenes5 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hajime_android
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks. Please do update your experience with the PRO 12.2 We are indeed in a similar situation. I plan to use the tablet mostly for reading academic research papers. I would be good if I could have two papers shown side by side. However, as the screen resolution is fixed, doing so just require me scrolling and adjusting the windows size. I too use ezpdf. It seems that we cannot open two pdf using ezpdf. When we swipe across the screen, the page on which window is going to change? I once considered Surface Pro 2 but it is quite heavy especially if I carry both my 15" MBP and the tablet.

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Not all apps support multiple instance and as far as I can tell EzPDF is no exception. So what one would do is just force it and another PDF reading application to be multiwindow enabled using something like pen window manager and then use two different PDF viewers to get the side by side action going. Then its just a matter of doing your gestures on one side or the other.

As a test I just did two documents side by side in EzPDF and Adobe Reader. Works like a charm.

You know if your annotation is going to be light then the note pro may very well suit your purposes provided you're not akin to rooting it (and living with the consequences thereof).
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

megalomanic14
Old
Thanks Meter 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime_android View Post
Thanks. Please do update your experience with the PRO 12.2 We are indeed in a similar situation. I plan to use the tablet mostly for reading academic research papers. I would be good if I could have two papers shown side by side. However, as the screen resolution is fixed, doing so just require me scrolling and adjusting the windows size. I too use ezpdf. It seems that we cannot open two pdf using ezpdf. When we swipe across the screen, the page on which window is going to change? I once considered Surface Pro 2 but it is quite heavy especially if I carry both my 15" MBP and the tablet.

I just wanted to give you a little insight of my experience...i ordered the note pro LTE p905 and had it delivered...i actually bought the wifi model first but was unhappy with the performance of the exynos processor and wanted the snapdragon 800...i have a mac book pro I bought a few months ago as well but much prefer a tablet. ..i already owned the note 8.0 and 10.1 2012 and was waiting the the pro and I have to say the experience is unlike anything else...the screen size and clarity offer a laptop size and feel, with similar functionality all packed into a 12.2 inch galaxy note 3. I find I use the s pen 50x more than I ever did on my 8 or 10 inch note tables, the new s pen and improvements to the digizer hardware helps as well. I'm a college student in my senior year of my biochemical degree and the pro has already completely replace my MacBook pro, mini windows 8.1 laptop and smaller note tablets. The size, speed, new on screen keyboard, s pen, and insane battery life make the note pro LTE by far the best device I've ever owned and I currently own and develop roms for several of these below
Galaxy note 1 i717
Galaxy note 2 i317
Galaxy note 3 n900a
Galaxy mega 6.3 i9205 white
Galaxy mega 6.3 i9205 black
Galaxy note 8.0
Galaxy note 10.1 2012
Galaxy note pro LTE

Mega