Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stream with Plex!

Tip us?

kpa2727
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Default Stream with Plex!

Bare wit me I'm tired and going to bed in a few min. I started playing with chrome extensions and turns out Plex works pretty great.

Heres what you do in a nutshell. if you use plex already skip this.

1. download install plex media server and set it up using folders with your videos to add to the que.

2. the above might just work with Myplex.com but I have both. So get a my plex account and link your plex server/files to it.

3. install the plex chrome extension.

4. go to myplex account and your library. que up a video and start playing, cast it to chrome then hit full screen on the plex player. your audio and video will automatically size and cast to the tv. how awesome is that?
BlackBerry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9850 -> Droid Incredible Cm6 - > ThunderBolt CM 7 - HP Touchpad Jellybean - Nook color Cm 9 -> Galaxy Nexus Cm 9 - > Cm 10 - > Aokp - > Galaxy S3 - Cm 10.1 - Unlocked Boot Loader -> Galaxy S4 - Rooted - Ouya Rooted - Google Play installed - Nexus 7 rooted - Nexus 7 V2 - Android 4 Life.
The Following User Says Thank You to kpa2727 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cables2590
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Would it be the same concept with a tablet? I never used myplex...

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda app-developers app

jbaruch76
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cables2590 View Post

no it won't work over tablet as of now. really the op is only making people aware that it is possible to stream all your local content regardless of codec through the browser. then it's just casting that tab, it works alright but is nowhere near flawless and the limit is 720p.

i am really really hoping that it gets integrated to the app itself, but it doesn't seem to be a top priority for the devs. i do think they will get around to it eventually though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbaruch76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1677
I just read a report this morning that the Plex devs are optimistic that they're app will provide support soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjs2011 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbaruch76
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs2011 View Post
I just read a report this morning that the Plex devs are optimistic that they're app will provide support soon.
I read the same thing and it appears they are only saying that due to a tweet from last week that they had ordered some. In the plex forums the only thing that a developer has said is that they won't start working on it until they have their devices. i do expect them to add the functionality, but i doubt it will be in the next few weeks. they generally aren't the quickest at adding new features.

mjs2011
Old
Thanks Meter 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaruch76 View Post
I read the same thing and it appears they are only saying that due to a tweet from last week that they had ordered some. In the plex forums the only thing that a developer has said is that they won't start working on it until they have their devices. i do expect them to add the functionality, but i doubt it will be in the next few weeks. they generally aren't the quickest at adding new features.
Yeah, good to know. I'm still hoping that the developer of MX player decides to update the app. That would solve all local streaming issues. Just connect to LAN on ES File Explorer and then stream the video using MX Player.

sungod88
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I emailed the dev from mxplayer and they said a new app would need to be made. Apparently the app can't support both the chrome and android sdk. I'm not sure how accurate that is maybe they have to look into it a bit more. I think there is some confusion since the sdk for the chromecast is chrome sdk not android.
The Following User Says Thank You to sungod88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kpa2727
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cables2590 View Post

As was said, tablet apps are different, this is glorified mirroring. it's not perfect. it's more or less a proof of concept. I'm sure if you messed with buffer rate it would probably speed things up a lot. I was up all night and just kind of knocked off my seat when I saw audio reencode on the fly. What's kind of crazy is the plex plugin seems to figure out what you want and tries to do it for you. I don't see how the plugin is resizing when you hit full screen mode It's like it's interfacing with chromecast. Like for example if you try to play a avi by dragging it into chrome you get no audio but if you kick it into plex the audio gets turned off on the pc and put to the tv. I think plex guys should have this golden in a short time. as a fairly long time plex user. almost 2 years on roku. they rarely announce their Dev stuff they just one day release it.
BlackBerry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9850 -> Droid Incredible Cm6 - > ThunderBolt CM 7 - HP Touchpad Jellybean - Nook color Cm 9 -> Galaxy Nexus Cm 9 - > Cm 10 - > Aokp - > Galaxy S3 - Cm 10.1 - Unlocked Boot Loader -> Galaxy S4 - Rooted - Ouya Rooted - Google Play installed - Nexus 7 rooted - Nexus 7 V2 - Android 4 Life.

touchbell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpa2727 View Post
Bare wit me I'm tired and going to bed in a few min. I started playing with chrome extensions and turns out Plex works pretty great.
Could you please confirm whether you can play .avi movies in a Chrome Tab or not? I can play mp4's but not a single .avi Thanks!

admin856
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchbell View Post
Could you please confirm whether you can play .avi movies in a Chrome Tab or not? I can play mp4's but not a single .avi Thanks!
You need to install plex server and after you add avi files to plex library you'll be able to play from chrome tab. You can cast the same tab as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2