Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 49,129 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it really worth rooting a Note 3 ?

Tip us?

Millan85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Is it really worth rooting a Note 3 ?

I have a Galaxy note 3, bought in October last year. I am at odds over where to root it or not as the Samsung ROMS aren't awful and Rooting does void the warranty, what are people experiences with this in general ?

Ryven
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Depending on what you want to do. As casual user I'd say you don't have to have an rooted device. If you're power user tho I'd recommend it

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
If you find any kind of typo, don't blame me. Blame the guys planning streets in Germany.

Millan85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryven View Post
Depending on what you want to do. As casual user I'd say you don't have to have an rooted device. If you're power user tho I'd recommend it

Wondering more as I have a rooted Huawei P6 which is great but having 1 rooted device is it really worth rooting a 600 phone ? Suppose it makes more sense to do it out of warrant. May wait until the Note 4 comes out and then root my Note 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to Millan85 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ryven
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Probably well if you have an rooted device you know the features. For me the power is enough I like the phone it is. The only few things I want root access for is adblock and special app administrative tools. If you're good to go without them I don't see a reason to take the risk

If you find any kind of typo, don't blame me. Blame the guys planning streets in Germany.

Barneyabz
Old
(Last edited by Barneyabz; 24th June 2014 at 03:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I haven't rooted as i haven't needed to. However I am still on android 4.3. Haven't upgraded to android 4.4 kitkat as I hate the way they have restricted sd card access. Question is now that it is possible to root 4.4.2 and keep knox 0.0 should I upgrade to 4.4.2 and then root so I can fix the sd card. Is 4.4.2 worth it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Unbranded and staying on Android 4.3 due to SD card limitations in Android 4.4

sianzb0i
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyabz View Post
I haven't rooted as i haven't needed to. However I am still on android 4.3. Haven't upgraded to android 4.4 kitkat as I hate the way they have restricted sd card access. Question is now that it is possible to root 4.4.2 and keep knox 0.0 should I upgrade to 4.4.2 and then root so I can fix the sd card. Is 4.4.2 with it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
This is exactly what i am wondering as well. Im on stock 4.3 and i have seen how 4.4 affected the ext sd

Now i thinking how to do and should i do

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
Once upon a time
Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6100 -> Nokia 3200 -> Nokia N70 -> Nokia N95

Devices
HTC Touch HD
HTC Touch 2 (non-cam)
HTC Desire: PVT 4, Rooted, Amonra 2.0.0, S-Off

Samsung Galaxy S II - Powered by
ROM: XXLSJ
Radio: DXLPA
Kernel: Apolo Kernel

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

colbur87
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millan85 View Post
I have a Galaxy note 3, bought in October last year. I am at odds over where to root it or not as the Samsung ROMS aren't awful and Rooting does void the warranty, what are people experiences with this in general ?
Like others have said, it depends on what you want to do. Me personally, cant live with out a rooted device. I have so many tweaks that make my life easier and improve overall performance.

Simple things like adding call recording to stock phone app.
Adding call button directly in call logs.
Expanded volume panel.
Removing the crap Samsung clipboard with its security loop hole.
Removing all bloatware.

Just stuff like that. But if your a user that doesn't really care about tweaks, that sure; its probably better not to root and risk the trouble of bricking.

for(int i =1; i >0; i++)
{
Print("Android Rulez");
}

--------------------------------
I337 Galaxy S4
The Following User Says Thank You to colbur87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chkenwing
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millan85 View Post
If you're unfortunate to live in one of the biggest phone markets in the world and yet be lied to by Samsung by releasing a 16GB version of Note 3, then yes, rooting is a definite go.

Now I can save/move games and all the other apps that take plenty of space, my phone can breathe a lot easier.

Also, does Samsung truly believe users who have been using their phone daily months on end that they require all these stupid pop-ups telling you "If you turn on airplane mode, you will won't be able to access network blah blah" or "Turning this too loud will damage hearing".

The first few times, yes I understand it's a pre-warning, but everytime? I'm so thankful that mods like the Xposed Framework with Wanam's Xposed has allowed me to customise my phone to how I want it and to add/remove features that Samsung decided to choose for us because they think it benefits the users, when really, it does the opposite.

TATTS300
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Yes

You are so rite we as the end user should have the choice not Sammy lol
I am the same i rooted because i was sick of paying hundreds of dollars to "OWN"
a phone and not to be able to do what i like to it
Now i am rooted i have control over what i bought and i love it ............

Sammath
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Imo, it is worth it. Even if you only do it for xposed it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 beast of a phone.