Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 39,826 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] can't change default navigation app after ver 7.0 maps update

Tip us?

blarg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] can't change default navigation app after ver 7.0 maps update

I recently wiped my phone to update to MK2. I noticed that there is no way to set the default navigation app anymore. When I click the "get directions" link from a web browser it takes me right to Google Maps - even if I uninstall and freeze Maps (I'm rooted) it will take me to the Play Store and tell me to install it.

Previously I was able to set my default navigation app to ALK Copilot but it appears that after the awful update to Maps 7.0, which is what prompted me to switch to a paid app there is no way to change it. Before I used to get a popup that would ask which app I want to use and I could pick and even set one as a default, but not anymore. I tried resetting the defaults from app manager but it says Maps doesn't have any defaults set. I even cleared every default on my device...still nothing.

Is there a way to have my phone go to my navigation app of choice rather than Google Maps when I select "get directions" anymore?

reyemtm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default ditto

Anyone? I am using a no-data plan so need offline navigation and would love to change the default nav app.

blarg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyemtm View Post
Anyone? I am using a no-data plan so need offline navigation and would love to change the default nav app.
since I'm rooted, I just froze Maps. Then when I selected an address in the browser it asked me which default app I want to use. I think there's also a way to clear it from the "default apps" screen, but it's not called "Maps"...it's something else and I can't remember which one it is.

I've been using ALK Co Pilot which has 100% offline maps and like it WAY more than Maps. It has different "oddball" issues than Maps (for example, Maps would constantly put me on toll roads and carpool lanes even when i told it to avoid them...and you can't permanently set "avoid toll roads" while Co Pilot sometimes doesn't show toll roads and carpool lanes at all...which is still odd, but better).