Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,561 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.2 on GPE HTC One and "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD Card."

Tip us?
 
IlyaKol
Old
(Last edited by IlyaKol; 18th December 2013 at 11:11 PM.)
#1  
IlyaKol's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 29
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Question [Q] 4.4.2 on GPE HTC One and "Couldn't install on USB storage or SD Card."

Okay, so here's the deal.

I have an AT&T HTC One that was running 4.4 Kit Kat (Click: this ROM) and is S-OFF via RumRunner. I am running the latest TWRP recovery.

Yesterday I got prompted for an OTA and accepted it (in the past, with GPE ROMs, it would just reboot to recovery and do nothing). This is the only way I know of to get rid of the annoying "System update available" notification. I figured it wouldn't do anything and I would simply reboot and be good for a few more days until it prompted again. Low and behold, it actually updated my phone to 4.4.2.

Now, I'm having some issues.

I was a user of DashClock Widget...but now I use Better DashClock. However, this app is now prompting me to download a key. When I try to download the key from the Play Store, I get the message:

Error: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD Card.

SwiftKey Keyboard has the same issue.

Other apps (such as ES File Explorer, ESPN, Fandango, etc. update just fine).

-------------

I have read a bunch of posts that suggest cleaning up temp files (which don't exist on my phone) and to download SELinux Mode Changer and change the mode to Passive...but to no avail.

Can someone help me? Is this the developers issue or did my phone do something wonky?

Thanks!
 
arfon
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Exactly the same problem here. I've narrowed it down to paid apps that won't install. Followed the same possible solutions in the 1st post, nothing works. HTC One GE 4.4.2.
 
artmunkie
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 10
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arlington
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaKol View Post
Okay, so here's the deal.

I have an AT&T HTC One that was running 4.4 Kit Kat (Click: this ROM) and is S-OFF via RumRunner.

Yesterday I got prompted for an OTA and accepted it (in the past, with GPE ROMs, it would just reboot to recovery and do nothing). This is the only way I know of to get rid of the annoying "System update available" notification. I figured it wouldn't do anything and I would simply reboot and be good for a few more days until it prompted again. Low and behold, it actually updated my phone to 4.4.2.

Now, I'm having some issues.

I was a user of DashClock Widget...but now I use Better DashClock. However, this app is now prompting me to download a key. When I try to download the key from the Play Store, I get the message:

Error: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD Card.

SwiftKey Keyboard has the same issue.

Other apps (such as ES File Explorer, ESPN, Fandango, etc. update just fine).

-------------

I have read a bunch of posts that suggest cleaning up temp files (which don't exist on my phone) and to download SELinux Mode Changer and change the mode to Passive...but to no avail.

Can someone help me? Is this the developers issue or did my phone do something wonky?

Thanks!

I had a similar problem. I downloaded the 4.4.2 OTA update and tried flashing it with TWRP three different times. All three times I got that same error message with some apps. It was extremely frustrating. I ended up flashing the stock 4.4 recovery and then flashing the update. It worked perfectly and the problem went away. I then reflashed TWRP.
 
msw141
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 14
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfon View Post
Exactly the same problem here. I've narrowed it down to paid apps that won't install. Followed the same possible solutions in the 1st post, nothing works. HTC One GE 4.4.2.
I had a similar experience. Paid apps would not install from Play Store. Amazon app store or F-Droid apps would install.

But my journey was that I had a 4.4 GPE device suffering through an issue where I can't get my bootloader to unlock. So when 4.4.2 came out I wasn't getting the OTA so I tried flashing just the firmware package from the OTA download. That's when I was getting this error (after a factory reset).

But then next day I got the real OTA and after that the problem went away. So for me it was a firmware issue in that it wasn't the right firmware for my OS.

Weird that you are running 4.4.2 but having this issue. Any chance you didn't come to have 4.4.2 the "natural" way?
 
arfon
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by msw141 View Post
I had a similar experience. Paid apps would not install from Play Store. Amazon app store or F-Droid apps would install.

But my journey was that I had a 4.4 GPE device suffering through an issue where I can't get my bootloader to unlock. So when 4.4.2 came out I wasn't getting the OTA so I tried flashing just the firmware package from the OTA download. That's when I was getting this error (after a factory reset).

But then next day I got the real OTA and after that the problem went away. So for me it was a firmware issue in that it wasn't the right firmware for my OS.

Weird that you are running 4.4.2 but having this issue. Any chance you didn't come to have 4.4.2 the "natural" way?
Update was OTA last night, so I guess its as natural as it comes.
 
IlyaKol
Old
(Last edited by IlyaKol; 18th December 2013 at 08:53 PM.)
#6  
IlyaKol's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 29
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfon View Post
Update was OTA last night, so I guess its as natural as it comes.
Yeah...my process was as natural as possible.

I was on 4.3 at first...so when I was going to 4.4 KitKat I first flashed back to some basic stock Sense ROM to run RumRunner and attain S-OFF. Then I COMPLETELY NUKED my phone and went to 4.4 KitKat. Had no problems, got the OTA, and now this.

It's aggravating, that's for sure.

I really don't want to completely wipe my phone again and have to re-setup all of my home screens, etc.
 
big_kitch
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 48
Join Date: Feb 2011
I received the OTA which installed despite me having TWRP, not stock recovery (as per http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48586329). Now I have the same issue installing paid apps (the ones I had already installed before the OTA disappeared off the device).

Short of starting from scratch, I'm at a bit of a loss for a solution...

Nick
 
IlyaKol
Old
(Last edited by IlyaKol; 18th December 2013 at 11:11 PM.)
#8  
IlyaKol's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 29
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Sounds like this is wide-spread...or at least amongst the people who are running newer GPE ROMs on their Ones.
 
blackic3
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 9
Join Date: Feb 2008
im having the exact same issues here
 
arfon
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artmunkie View Post
I had a similar problem. I downloaded the 4.4.2 OTA update and tried flashing it with TWRP three different times. All three times I got that same error message with some apps. It was extremely frustrating. I ended up flashing the stock 4.4 recovery and then flashing the update. It worked perfectly and the problem went away. I then reflashed TWRP.
Can you point me to where you got the stock recovery from please?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes