Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 36,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Swap Home/Back buttons

Tip us?

seattlecard
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Swap Home/Back buttons

Anyone know if it is possible to swap the mapping of the home/back buttons? I use the back button more often than the home button and find the location of the home button easier to reach in general. I realize I can't change the actual hardware icon ... looking for a software fix.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecard View Post
Anyone know if it is possible to swap the mapping of the home/back buttons? I use the back button more often than the home button and find the location of the home button easier to reach in general. I realize I can't change the actual hardware icon ... looking for a software fix.
You can try the "Xposed Additions" module that remaps hardware keys but not positive if it will work, never used it on this phone.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

SwordOfWar
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
There are some options that can help with this in the ViperMAX ROM:

1. In tweaks you can set custom mappings for short press, double press, long press and swipe action for the home hardware key. The same can be done for the back key (except for the swipe action, if I'm not mistaken).

2. You can enable PIE, which basically allows you to slide your finger from the side of the screen to pop-up customizable software buttons on the screen. I use this for the same reason you describe (to make my most common actions easily accessible with my right thumb). In-fact I use PIE to pop-up software buttons to do things like "back", "pull down notifications" and "home"...

If you take advantage of those tweaks, it is easily enough to suite your needs and more.

jerrycycle
Old
(Last edited by jerrycycle; 10th May 2014 at 01:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 158
Quote:
Yes, it possible software wise. I'll pm how to. File explorer needed with root access.
It can be done with Sence or Aosp, stock or custom ROMs. I edit this ever device I have to suit my needs. I like running full screen, no status bar nor navigation bar. One reason I like my Max. Full 5.9 viewing area.
Phone: Htc One Max T6VZW
Rom: UNOFFICIAL 4.4.4 SlimKat
Theme: TeamBlackout apps
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1 by
Kernel: One with rom
Android version: 4.4.4