Thumbs up

Smash The Past contest turn of events

2nd May 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

58 posts
More
"Tomorrow we will be contacting the 100 lucky winners of our Smash the Past contest. Out of more than 140,000 applicants, these lucky fans will get a OnePlus One for only $1.

‘Smash the Past’ stemmed from a conversation a few of us had right as OnePlus was transforming from an idea to a real company. We wanted to build a device that was so good people would smash the phones they already had because they simply couldn’t live up. We believe we have that device in the One, and have been overwhelmed by the response to both the phone and the campaign.

OnePlus is a young startup with bold ideas. It’s tough to just survive in this industry, nevermind shake it up as we hope to do. ‘Smash’ reflects our desire to do just that: show the world that there’s something new available, something that just may be better than your current daily driver. However, we are also strong proponents of using technology to better the daily lives of people across the globe. For this reason, the chosen 100 applicants can choose to either smash their phone as planned, or donate it to the wonderful team at Medic Mobile. Medic Mobile is a nonprofit that recycles old phones for use by healthcare workers in remote areas of the world. As described by a member of the Medic Mobile team:

You're giving the best new tech out there for $1 and recycling users’ existing phones for good. And then we're turning those 100 phones into 1,000 phones for people that were left behind with the tech revolution. It brings it full circle in a really interesting way.
You can learn more about this organization at medicmobile.org or follow them on Twitter at @medic. We encourage you to consider donating your old phone to others in need who can use it, after you get your OnePlus One of course!

We want to thank the 140,000+ people who applied to smash their phones in exchange for a OnePlus One. The applications surpassed our expectations both in volume and creativity - we had no idea there were so many ways to break a phone! We are having a lot of fun reading these and to share this fun, below you have a few of the craziest ideas we found so far -
Playing tennis with it - serving, lobbying, forehand, backhand, slicing, and of course SMASHING.
Demolishing it with a homemade potato gun.
Cooking spaghetti bolognese with the phone as the main ingredient.
Liquidate it with nitrogen and a torque hammer.
Sending it up to space one-way with a model space rocket.
Flamethrower.
Ninja throwing stars.
Parachuting - without parachute.
Thank you for your support and feedback. We’re working to get the OnePlus One in your hands as soon as possible
"

The above paragraph is an official statement from Oneplus and a big surprise for all of us that were unhappy and didn't like the Smash your phone gimmick. I think this was a very good decision from Oneplus.
2nd May 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 910

2,382 posts
More
That's great news indeed! Imagine all the invites we will get... Hopefully enough that everyone here can buy a phone somewhere around early June...
2nd May 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

58 posts
More
Yes! I hope the invites spread quickly so we can all get a One!
3rd May 2014, 12:58 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,223

4,516 posts
Donate to Me
More
Looking forward to invites woot!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
3rd May 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

58 posts
More
Yes! I hope people share share share!!!
3rd May 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #6  
Flag South Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 2,359

3,379 posts
More
i hope they share their invites on here and not over there
3rd May 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

15 posts
Remember that the invites are for the white 16 GB version, which seems to be the less popular option of the two.
3rd May 2014, 05:34 PM   |  #8  
Cornwall, UK
Thanks Meter: 73

575 posts
More
Congrats to the winners. Any hope of an initial invite is gone it appears. Roll on June

3rd May 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 39

175 posts
Where are the winners?

Nexus5 X Tapatalk Pro
4th May 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida
Thanks Meter: 2,223

4,516 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailia

Remember that the invites are for the white 16 GB version, which seems to be the less popular option of the two.

The 100 invites to the people smashing are the 16gb white version. The 3 invites those people get to give away are not limited to the 16gb version.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread