Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,405 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia arc s not booting after flashing custom rom.have i bricked it?

Tip us?

sanjayagarwal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Xperia arc s not booting after flashing custom rom.have i bricked it?

I had rooted and installed HD 3.0.2 custom ROM on my son's Sony xperia arc s successfully and it was working well but the adventurist mind set to work and I wanted to try the jelly droid custom ROM.

I went to recovery mode via x tools and did the factory reset and formatting system.

Then I clicked install zip from SD card.it showed that update installed successfully then after around 15 minutes and no further instruction,I rebooted the phone.seems like I missed some step or something which I am not aware of.

now it only shows the Sony screen.I attempted going to the recovery mode pressing the combo keys volume down and power after taking out the battery but nothing transpired.

have I bricked my phone?

Is there any way I could bring it back to life?

would be obliged if anyone could recommend some steps to try and restart the phone.

thanking in anticipation

regards

Sanjay Agarwal

popthosegaskets
Old
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayagarwal View Post
I had rooted and installed HD 3.0.2 custom ROM on my son's Sony xperia arc s successfully and it was working well but the adventurist mind set to work and I wanted to try the jelly droid custom ROM.

I went to recovery mode via x tools and did the factory reset and formatting system.

Then I clicked install zip from SD card.it showed that update installed successfully then after around 15 minutes and no further instruction,I rebooted the phone.seems like I missed some step or something which I am not aware of.

now it only shows the Sony screen.I attempted going to the recovery mode pressing the combo keys volume down and power after taking out the battery but nothing transpired.

have I bricked my phone?

Is there any way I could bring it back to life?

would be obliged if anyone could recommend some steps to try and restart the phone.

thanking in anticipation

regards

Sanjay Agarwal
Did you flash the correct kernel for your phone? Ultimate HD uses stock kernel while the Jelly Droid should be using a custom kernel. You need to have bootloader unlocked to use a custom kernel. CWM does not work after flashing the update package as X tools installs CWM into /system which you just formatted. To be able to use CWM after changing ROM, use a stock or custom kernel that has CWM pre installed on it.

僕のLT18iから送られてきた
日焼け.一郎
Microsoft Certified Professional
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S(LT18i) - Unlocked BL(CM11) -> INO 2(4.2.2)
Sony PS VITA PCHJ10001(初音ミク Project Diva F Limited Edition)
1.69 - > 1.80 - > 1.81 - > 2.00 - > 2.02 - > 2.11 - > 2.12 -> 2.61 -> 3.00 -> 3.01
Sony PSP - 2006(Original replaced with 2001 MOBO)
3.60 OFW - > 5.00 M33 -> 5.50 Gen D3 -> 6.60 PRO C

The Following User Says Thank You to popthosegaskets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanjayagarwal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=popthosegaskets;43290787]

Thanks for your quick reply.it seems I did not flash any kernel or anything else prior to pressing the install from zip.seems a grave mistake on my part.

now that the phone does not even start up what could I do to recover the phone.

I am a complete novice and would request your good self to kindly suggest remedial measures to go back to the stock ROM or HD 3.0.2.The boot loader I think was unlocked before attempting to root the phone.the phone only shows SONY written on it.no turning off even.having to pull the battery to put of the screen.

Thanks n regards

Sanjay Agarwal

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1988

DONATE TO ME
To recover your phone, use Flashtool and install stock firmware to your phone with a correct FTF file. You can find the FTF file from the forum, just search.

OR if you have locked bootloader, then you can also use PC Companion to repair your phone.

Sent from LT18i with custom firmware by myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someguyfromhell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

popthosegaskets
Old
(Last edited by popthosegaskets; 6th July 2013 at 04:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 546
Since you have bootloader unlocked, I recommend that you repair your phone using flashtool, since it's a hassle to relock bootloader to use Sony Update Service. After restoring your phone, flash a stock kernel with CWM on it so you can still use CWM after changing ROM. If you want to go back to UHD, Jader recommends LuPuS kernel to use with his ROM.

僕のLT18iから送られてきた
日焼け.一郎
Microsoft Certified Professional
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S(LT18i) - Unlocked BL(CM11) -> INO 2(4.2.2)
Sony PS VITA PCHJ10001(初音ミク Project Diva F Limited Edition)
1.69 - > 1.80 - > 1.81 - > 2.00 - > 2.02 - > 2.11 - > 2.12 -> 2.61 -> 3.00 -> 3.01
Sony PSP - 2006(Original replaced with 2001 MOBO)
3.60 OFW - > 5.00 M33 -> 5.50 Gen D3 -> 6.60 PRO C

The Following User Says Thank You to popthosegaskets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanjayagarwal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default THANKS

Thanks friends for your replies.I woke up to find that my son has already restored the phone using some method as advised by your good selves.he used the flash tool and ftf file.
thanks.

regards

Sanjay agarwal

ubaidbhatti
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi all i have the same issue i have running. Uhd rom i try to chnge rom n dont flash any kernal i formatted system factory reset installation successful but only sony logo appears nothing else... i thnk i brcked my arc s one more thing that my boot-oader is locked and sony companian dosent pick my device n sony updator says your software need no update...
Plz help me guyz what should i do plz help
This is my frst android phone i dont wan to lose it
Thnks

@BoW@
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubaidbhatti View Post
Hi all i have the same issue i have running. Uhd rom i try to chnge rom n dont flash any kernal i formatted system factory reset installation successful but only sony logo appears nothing else... i thnk i brcked my arc s one more thing that my boot-oader is locked and sony companian dosent pick my device n sony updator says your software need no update...
Plz help me guyz what should i do plz help
This is my frst android phone i dont wan to lose it
Thnks
First of all, calm down , i rarely see arc-s really bricked and not recoverables so ,in this case, the best metod is a thinking mind. Answer my questions.
1 Have you checked your bootloader if it's locked/unlocked or if there is possibility to unlock it ? There are a plenty of guides about it.
2 Please describe how you have installed the rom.

If you have the possibility to reach the recovery , you have to fully format the phone. Factory reset, format system cache and dalvik. Only after that, try to re-flash the rom.

serterl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by @BoW@ View Post
First of all, calm down , i rarely see arc-s really bricked and not recoverables so ,in this case, the best metod is a thinking mind. Answer my questions.
1 Have you checked your bootloader if it's locked/unlocked or if there is possibility to unlock it ? There are a plenty of guides about it.
2 Please describe how you have installed the rom.

If you have the possibility to reach the recovery , you have to fully format the phone. Factory reset, format system cache and dalvik. Only after that, try to re-flash the rom.
My phone has the same problem. (Xperia Arc S) how do I get the computer to recognise the phone when it is in this mode? it won't do the volume up-blue light-usb thing

tangosierra_
Old
(Last edited by tangosierra_; 15th November 2013 at 01:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 166
Can you get the phone in flashmode (back + phone to USB -> green LED)?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

EDIT: Holy sh*t I forgot flashmode is back button
Devices:
Current - LG Nexus 5, franco.Kernel r11, Cataclysm ROM
Current Tablet - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II, CyanogenMod 10.1 Unofficial
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, CyanogenMod 7.2 Unofficial, spoilt battery
Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S, Stock 4.1.B.0.587, lost back cover, spoilt microUSB port
HTC HD2, NexusHD CM10.2
Apple iPad 3 - iOS 6.0 Jailbroken

Minimalistic Holo Blue Whatsapp+ Theme
Nexus One boot animation for Nexus 5
How to Change DPI?