Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,083 Members 42,438 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OTA Update Gives more Bloatware

Tip us?

abraxo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default OTA Update Gives more Bloatware

47MB and gave me yellow pages as well as lookout. I already use lookout but WTF ATT? Bloatware was already a problem but you're actually shoving more down my throat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

davew41
Old
(Last edited by davew41; 9th May 2014 at 08:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxo View Post
47MB and gave me yellow pages as well as lookout. I already use lookout but WTF ATT? Bloatware was already a problem but you're actually shoving more down my throat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
http://www.androidcentral.com/update...nt-them-or-not

Yup just got my update before I read this SCREW YOU AT&T
The Following User Says Thank You to davew41 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karmuh
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I haven't updated any firmware or security policies. I'm perfectly fine staying as is
Retired Devices:
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5S (Damaged)
[Black] 16GB iPhone 5

Current Devices:
15" MacBook Pro Retina (Mid-2012) -- OS X 10.9.3
[White] 16GB AT&T Galaxy S5 -- KitKat 4.4.2 --
Rooted via Towelroot

GeorgeP
Old
Thanks Meter 88
The two apps can be disabled, so no biggie to me. There does seems to be at least one bug fix. My recent apps button was a little wonky. It is fixed now.

nbrent1007
Old
Thanks Meter 25
I hope there isnt something in the update that further prevents root being achieved. If you go to att website there is no way to prevent update either.

http://www.att.com/esupport/software...id=Vm6VYAFaBld

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 297
I just updated. Can someone who hasn't post their about device screen with the kernel and baseband and build info?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HTC One - 2.17 Stock (4.2.2) || Nexus 4 - CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable ||
The Following User Says Thank You to mobilehavoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frankdogg
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
I just updated. Can someone who hasn't post their about device screen with the kernel and baseband and build info?

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-09-16-20-33.png
Views:	762
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	2735001  
The Following User Says Thank You to frankdogg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Thanks. New kernel, baseband and build. Took 5 seconds to disable the apps. Happy camper

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bailey37821
Old
(Last edited by bailey37821; 9th May 2014 at 11:27 PM.) Reason: Add info and links
Thanks Meter 24
Thumbs down AT&T marketing Geniuses....not!

More apps to disable because AT&T must think it's funny to push bloatware OTA and label it as an update. Seriously what are they thinking?
Is there actually some marketing strategist that is so out of touch with the real world as to think that people want this crap?
It boggles the mind really that senior leadership and marketing does not troll XDA for ideas that would actually help them succeed in product management.
The 1st carrier to the gate with a device that comes with nothing but vanilla android, is not boot locked, or in any other way hindered for root would (I predict) gain a 10% market share inside of 30 days. Business 101....cater to the majority ESPECIALLY when no one else is. fu***** idiots!!! Do they not realize that we all may enjoy different apps, but that is what the app marketplace is for? Some my even want At&t's apps ( lol ) but they need to put them on the play store and let people choose. You know...democracy and all that. Maybe they think that their apps give them a leg up on their competition? Really? Seriously? An app is going to make the difference of someone choosing AT&T S5 over Verizon S5? OMG please tell me they are not stupid. (I'm long winded and redundant due to hoping De La Vega is reading this btw) Evidently they need things spelled out. I certainly hope he realizes that most normal people make carrier decisions based on price of service, coverage, speed of 4G, etc. You know; that business 101 thing again. Hey Mr. Vega; how many people do you have writing code for AT&T apps? What are you spending on that? What are you paying that marketing jack ass that told you to hire people to write code for AT&T specific apps and bloatware? I hope you get where I'm going here. My God man, take a breath, sit back, clear your mind of all the hype and confusion of the bubble your in and look at this thing from the outside. Get back to the basics and provide a product and service that people want. We dont want or need to have to take the lessor of the evils (context of who has less bloat if we want a new device). Dont believe me? Attempt to find 0.1% of your customers that just has to have one of your bundled apps. Let me know how that goes for you. In the mean time the other 99.9% of us will only be getting more frustrated.

At any rate here is some contact info for At&t. I suggest we flood them with emails and try to get directly to "ATTN. Randall L. Stephenson, Ralph De La Vega"

randall.stephenson@att.com
Ralph.delaVega@att.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATT
https://twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare

mobilehavoc
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821 View Post
More apps to disable because AT&T must think it's funny to push bloatware OTA and label it as an update. Seriously what are they thinking?
Is there actually some marketing strategist that is so out of touch with the real world as to think that people want this crap?
It boggles the mind really that senior leadership and marketing does not troll XDA for ideas that would actually help them succeed in product management.
The 1st carrier to the gate with a device that comes with nothing but vanilla android, is not boot locked, or in any other way hindered for root would (I predict) gain a 10% market share inside of 30 days. Business 101....cater to the majority ESPECIALLY when no one else is. fu***** idiots!!!

At any rate here is some contact info for At&t. I suggest we flood them with emails and try to get directly to "ATTN. Randall L. Stephenson, Ralph De La Vega"

randall.stephenson@att.com
Ralph.delaVega@att.com
https://www.facebook.com/ATT
https://twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare
You do realize the people on XDA are the minority right? We're definitely not the general population. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobilehavoc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]