Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] "Last Seen" on Facebook Messenger

Tip us?

NedDasty
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default [Q] "Last Seen" on Facebook Messenger

So I hate this feature, but I'm also a bit curious as to how it works. If you scroll to your "messages" bit clicking the top-right icon, you get a list of your friends. Some of them have green dots, which indicates that they either 1. don't use the Android app, or 2. are browsing from a web browser. The remaining ones either have nothing (offline) or they have a number indicating how long ago they were last active.

The number, however, is a bit misleading, but I'm not completely sure how it works. If a user is currently using Facebook on their phone, a "1m" will be displayed. This "1m" remains there, I believe, until 10 minutes after the user closes Facebook--but I'm not completely sure. This also means that, when you see someone is at "2m," that really means they were active 11 minutes ago.

What I'm not 100% sure about is...does this number update when they send a message, or simply browse their newsfeed? Has anybody here run any serious tests to determine what these numbers mean?

cejot88
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've studied it a little

Usually you see:
  • persons who are online with the green dots
    • can be differentiated in Web and Mobil, which means, that they are browsing Facebook with Browser or Facebook App/Messenger App
  • If you see 1m there are some possibilities:
    • you are offline in Facebook Chat and the other one is online
    • the other person turned off his Chat
    • he/she is really idle since 1 minute
    in the first two possibilities it could seem, that he/she is longer idle for 1m, but he/she isn't really idle.
  • Persons just having a phone displayed, weren't seen for a longer time (how long isn't clear its about some days, sometimes shorter). Maybe it has also something in common with having internet connection, but tried with phones offline mode and couldn't confirm that.
  • Persons with nothing or a grey dot (if this still exists) :
    • are offline and have no smartphone (or not in use)
    • are offline and disabled notifications for messeges
    • are not logged in the Facebook App (doesn't "work" ever - work because if you want to be seen as totally offline )

Questions or corrections?