Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,097 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

disaster after i delete /data/dalvik-cache folder, help !

Tip us?
 
dalvikna
Old
(Last edited by dalvikna; 13th May 2014 at 12:37 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Unhappy disaster after i delete /data/dalvik-cache folder, help !

since the inner storage is limited, i want to move dalvik-cache to sd-card, so i delete /data/dalvik-cache, then create a sym link named /data/dalvik-cache there which point to /mnt/sdcard/cache which is also a folder, this appears to works at first, since some dex files are created at /mnt/sdcard/cache folder which is initailly empty, but after i reboot my android phone, it stayed at boot process, even hours.

i wanna repair my phone, there are still some important data there, such as contact data, messages , and communication log.

Facts:
Now i can adb shell to my android device, but failed to run su command, which works well before i delete the folder /data/dalvik-cache, the error message is as follows:
adb shell
$ su // dollar symbol indicates i can connect to my device
su
[1] Segmentation fault su // why i failed to run this su command now?

Questions:
i can still connect to my android phone using adb shell, but i cannot run su command to get root priority now, if i can have root priority, i can delete that sym link named dalvik-cache, and all the things would be well, but how to delete that sym link now?
 
sachin.parmar100
Old
#2  
sachin.parmar100's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indore
Would u mind specifing your device?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
dalvikna
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin.parmar100 View Post
Would u mind specifing your device?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
it's huawei U8800
 
sachin.parmar100
Old
#4  
sachin.parmar100's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indore
Have you tried flashing stock ROM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
dalvikna
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin.parmar100 View Post
Have you tried flashing stock ROM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
i still have important data inside the /data folder, so i cannot wipe the data and do factory reset, not saying flashing a new ROM
what i need to do is how to delete the symlink named /data/dalvik-cache
 
sachin.parmar100
Old
(Last edited by sachin.parmar100; 13th May 2014 at 09:54 AM.)
#6  
sachin.parmar100's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indore
Oh, that's really awkward situation then, what else have u tried?
Tried booting without sd card?
And that's really strange coz i did the same mistake on my previous device (deleting the dalvik-cache folder) but surprisingly it rebooted up normally, took a longer time though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
dalvikna
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin.parmar100 View Post
Oh, that's really awkward situation then, what else have u tried?
Tried booting without sd card?
And that's really strange coz i did the same mistake on my previous device (deleting the dalvik-cache folder) but surprisingly it rebooted up normally, took a longer time though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
the difference is that i created a symlink named dalvik-cache there, so that the folder named dalvik-cache could not be recreated when the phone is booting. but when i delete that folder named dalvik-cache using gui, and create a symlink which points a folder in sdcard, it seems works well, since some dex files are created in the that folder in sd card, but the device failed when reboot, maybe the problem is that sd card driver is not loaded that the android os cannot load gui dex from sd card, so that i can only connect to my device using adb shell, and the gui just stayed in the process of booting
 
sachin.parmar100
Old
#8  
sachin.parmar100's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indore
It's because sd card loading takes a bit of time even after boot, while OS requires the dex files during the booting process, that might the causing the issue as it tries to access sd card b'coz of that symlink, but i have no idea of solving this

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
tr3w
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 12
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin.parmar100 View Post
It's because sd card loading takes a bit of time even after boot, while OS requires the dex files during the booting process, that might the causing the issue as it tries to access sd card b'coz of that symlink, but i have no idea of solving this

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It's not just the fact it takes time, the main problem is it happens way later in the boot process, that's why it won't happen even hours later...

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalvikna View Post
since the inner storage is limited, i want to move dalvik-cache to sd-card, so i delete /data/dalvik-cache, then create a sym link named /data/dalvik-cache there which point to /mnt/sdcard/cache which is also a folder, this appears to works at first, since some dex files are created at /mnt/sdcard/cache folder which is initailly empty, but after i reboot my android phone, it stayed at boot process, even hours.

i wanna repair my phone, there are still some important data there, such as contact data, messages , and communication log.

Facts:
Now i can adb shell to my android device, but failed to run su command, which works well before i delete the folder /data/dalvik-cache, the error message is as follows:
adb shell
$ su // dollar symbol indicates i can connect to my device
su
[1] Segmentation fault su // why i failed to run this su command now?

Questions:
i can still connect to my android phone using adb shell, but i cannot run su command to get root priority now, if i can have root priority, i can delete that sym link named dalvik-cache, and all the things would be well, but how to delete that sym link now?
Did you try anything else?
Can you see all the folders?
 
sachin.parmar100
Old
#10  
sachin.parmar100's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 30
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indore
Yeah, but what about the solution of it? I have no idea to face this situation without any kind of data loss

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes