Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT Changed my plan from Unlimited to Family Shared without permission?

Tip us?

RoachForLife
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default ATT Changed my plan from Unlimited to Family Shared without permission?

My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?

theorioles33
Old
Thanks Meter 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachForLife View Post
My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?
Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.

RoachForLife
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorioles33 View Post
Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.
No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.

theorioles33
Old
Thanks Meter 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachForLife View Post
No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.
That is unusual then. Hopefully it was a mistake. I've gone over 5gb a few times. My daughter did 12gb once. I mean it's unlimited. Right?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Delakit
Old
Thanks Meter 322

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorioles33 View Post
That is unusual then. Hopefully it was a mistake. I've gone over 5gb a few times. My daughter did 12gb once. I mean it's unlimited. Right?

Sprint was "unlimited" too though Look where that got me
Note 3 is dead

slimslim
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
========================

theorioles33
Old
Thanks Meter 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim View Post
Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
It does and it's actually cheaper per month.

The Following User Says Thank You to theorioles33 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jc2470
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Actually everyone on family share plan with 10 or more gig data automatically got switched over, I had mine changed to it and the lady told me everyone would be switched over automatically. I'm sure they will switch u back, but we're probably hoping people would be willing to sacrifice unlimited for cheaper overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

sandman7793
Old
Thanks Meter 448
Here's a few things to note.

Unlimited is not called Unlimited anymore. It's called Unlimited access, but will be throttled at 3gb.

If you tether, you will be notified by text that you will be switched to a tethering plan the next month. (had this happen lol)

AT&T can switch you of unlimited anytime they like, read the fine print contact.

On a side note, I was on unlimted until they keep throttling me. Coming off that slow unlimited access made life better for me.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app
A bOy StUcK iN a ManS BoDy..

TF101 Rooted KatKissing it!!! OC 1400

Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2, Sons rocking it now!

AT&T Samsung GN3 Rooted SS DynamicKat

MMcCraryNJ
Old
(Last edited by MMcCraryNJ; 1st May 2014 at 04:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 141
I still don't understand why people on ATT are trying to cling on to their Unlimited data. The people on Verizon have good enough reasons to (Verizon doesn't throttle or get pissy if you consume 10s of gigs per month, for now anyway). But on ATT your Unlimited plans are basically pointless at this point. After 3-4GB, your data essentially becomes useless after the throttle. For all intents and purposes, you can't tether. And it's actually cheaper to get access to more high-speed data every month on the newer plans. They literally made switching over to limited data a much better deal (or made keeping Unlimited a worse one, depending on how you look at it).
Previous devices:

T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream)
Samsung Vibrant T-959 (Galaxy S)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi GT-P7510
Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-i515MSV
Google Nexus 7 16GB

Current devices:

AT&T Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900A
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 NC2

Google Nexus 10 16GB
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 KOT49H