Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

ATT Changed my plan from Unlimited to Family Shared without permission?

OP RoachForLife

29th April 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #1  
RoachForLife's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 15
 
272 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?
29th April 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #2  
theorioles33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 699
 
847 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachForLife

My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?

Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.
29th April 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #3  
RoachForLife's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 15
 
272 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorioles33

Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.

No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.
29th April 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #4  
theorioles33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 699
 
847 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachForLife

No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.

That is unusual then. Hopefully it was a mistake. I've gone over 5gb a few times. My daughter did 12gb once. I mean it's unlimited. Right?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
29th April 2014, 05:16 PM   |  #5  
Delakit's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 336
 
962 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theorioles33

That is unusual then. Hopefully it was a mistake. I've gone over 5gb a few times. My daughter did 12gb once. I mean it's unlimited. Right?

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sprint was "unlimited" too though Look where that got me
29th April 2014, 09:15 PM   |  #6  
slimslim's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
698 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
29th April 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #7  
theorioles33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 699
 
847 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim

Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

It does and it's actually cheaper per month.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to theorioles33 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2014, 11:37 PM   |  #8  
jc2470's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag lafayette
Thanks Meter: 12
 
245 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
More
Actually everyone on family share plan with 10 or more gig data automatically got switched over, I had mine changed to it and the lady told me everyone would be switched over automatically. I'm sure they will switch u back, but we're probably hoping people would be willing to sacrifice unlimited for cheaper overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
30th April 2014, 05:03 AM   |  #9  
sandman7793's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Naples
Thanks Meter: 972
 
868 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Here's a few things to note.

Unlimited is not called Unlimited anymore. It's called Unlimited access, but will be throttled at 3gb.

If you tether, you will be notified by text that you will be switched to a tethering plan the next month. (had this happen lol)

AT&T can switch you of unlimited anytime they like, read the fine print contact.

On a side note, I was on unlimted until they keep throttling me. Coming off that slow unlimited access made life better for me.


Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app
30th April 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Acworth, GA USA
Thanks Meter: 141
 
368 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
I still don't understand why people on ATT are trying to cling on to their Unlimited data. The people on Verizon have good enough reasons to (Verizon doesn't throttle or get pissy if you consume 10s of gigs per month, for now anyway). But on ATT your Unlimited plans are basically pointless at this point. After 3-4GB, your data essentially becomes useless after the throttle. For all intents and purposes, you can't tether. And it's actually cheaper to get access to more high-speed data every month on the newer plans. They literally made switching over to limited data a much better deal (or made keeping Unlimited a worse one, depending on how you look at it).
Last edited by MMcCraryNJ; 1st May 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes