Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,049 Members 39,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony Xperia Z2 Review [Goods and Bads, Antutu Benchmark Score, Photo Samples]

Tip us?

PiskopatYazar
Old
(Last edited by PiskopatYazar; 13th May 2014 at 01:45 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Default Sony Xperia Z2 Review [Goods and Bads, Antutu Benchmark Score, Photo Samples]

Im using the device since Tuesday and here are my findings about the device.

Lets start with the Goodies,

Once you hold the phone you know you have got a piece of unique quality phone. It is designed really nice. If I would trust myself I would never use a case for this device.

Battery life is amazing. Nobody can complain about the battery life of this phone unless they have a faulty battery. First day charged it for 4 hours and lasted me 1 day 16 hours. I totally drained my battery and fully charged it and lasted me 1 day 17 hours. (5 hours of screen time on both charges). I would give 10/10 on battery life thats for sure.

Camera is awesome. There are no words to describe to camera quality. I was really worried about the camera quality after seeing some silly pictures taken with the device. So many options to choose on camera. You definitely don't need a third party camera app for this phone.
Recorded some videos at 1080p quality. I can only say "wow". I was mirroring it on my 3D HDTV, everything is so clear. When you upload it to Youtube you dont get as good as quality you have in your phone. Do not judge the video quality of the camera at youtube or any other video uploading websites. They always trim your video and reduce the quality of the videos.

Full Album of photos taken at Botanic garden

Defocus background Mode Photo Samples

Manual Mode Photo Samples

4K Video Quality Sample

Screen, it is really nice and clear. I was also worried about the screen as someone said screen is really dim. That guy must be blind. On highest brightness you cannot even look at the screen cos its shining on your eyes . When it is sunny outside if the screen brightness is not at full you can hardly see the screen but if it is full its fine for me at least.

Sound quality is pretty good on both ways either on speakers or headphones. It can actually be too loud if you are watching good quality movie or listening good quality songs.

Antutu Benchmark Score and Comparisons

And the baddies.

Notification sound and vibration are so low. You can hardly hear your notifications. I have changed my whatsapp notification vibrate to long one still sometimes cant feel it. Hope they will fix it with an update.

Double touch to wake feature is not responsive. I was like tapping 10 times to wake the phone up where I supposed to tap twice. I just dont use it any more. Also I believe it drains the battery.

4K Video recording is out of sync. I believe that cos the screen has to be 4K to get the sync at the right time. It is quite pointless to record videos at 4K unless you have 4K TV.

Fingerprints on back glass I mean it gets dirty so easily I even tried that by washing my hands and after playing a wee while it leaves the fingerprints on the glass is annoying me. I have got a case that problem is sorted but still something could be done for it.

Charging battery is seems so slow to me, takes over 4 hours to fully charge. Not too sure if I have got a faulty charger or everyone is the time as me but it should be quicker in my opinion.

There is no restart button on power menu all the other phones have it. I have no idea why they never put restart button on the power menu.

So far I can say those things about the phone but I will update it when I find out new stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PiskopatYazar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

debrandman
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Have you yet encountered the overheating issue on your Z2, also how is call quality on your device?

PiskopatYazar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrandman View Post
Have you yet encountered the overheating issue on your Z2, also how is call quality on your device?
When I recorded 4K video it was getting warm I did record quite small length of video though 38 seconds.

I think everybody has got that issue it warms up or overheat while recording 4K videos.

I did record 6 mins of 1080p video it was totally fine.

Call quality is really good even with headphones.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cena99
Old
(Last edited by Cena99; 10th May 2014 at 09:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
I use the phone for 2 days. the double tap feature it's working very well for me and always responding i just love it and i don't think it consume battery. i use the phone all day with wifi and Lte 4g.. watching YouTube. viber.. WhatsApp . playing with the camera a bit . etc.. and the battery just don't want to go down.. am amazed by the battery life.. and the screen colours and quality just OMG.. I never seen any phone before with same like this screen.. about the RAM i still have around 1.4Gb empty which is amazing after installing all the apps.. so far i never noticed overheating problems just normal warm like other phones

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

PiskopatYazar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cena99 View Post
I use the phone for 2 days. the double tap feature it's working very well for me and always responding i just love it and i don't think it consume battery. i use the phone all day with wifi and Lte 4g.. watching YouTube. viber.. WhatsApp . playing with the camera a bit . etc.. and the battery just don't want to go down.. am amazed by the battery life.. and the screen colours and quality just OMG.. I never seen any phone before with same like this screen.. about the RAM i still have around 1.4Gb empty which is amazing after installing all the apps.. so far i never noticed overheating problems just normal warm like other phones

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
Yeah I forgot to add the battery life at goodies.

Battery life is amazing 1 day 17 hours it lasted me on second charge. On first charge was almost the same.

kingrion88
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Judging from your response on the charging time, I believe the charger provided by Sony has a low current. Since Z2 has quick charge 2.0, get a stronger charging adapter to get a faster charging time.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingrion88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrion88 View Post
Judging from your response on the charging time, I believe the charger provided by Sony has a low current. Since Z2 has quick charge 2.0, get a stronger charging adapter to get a faster charging time.
The Sony charger included has 1.5A current rating.
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 180GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; 3x WDC Black 1TB RAID5; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech Performance Mouse MX + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

PiskopatYazar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Where can I a get it?

The charger came with my device is this one as @Jackos said 1.5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399805850670.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2737601  

kingrion88
Old
Thanks Meter 35
I have yet to receive my Z2 so I am not entirely sure as to where you can get the charger unfortunately.

I believe quick charge 2.0 mean it supports up to more than (>) 4Amp current compare to the ones provided by sony which is 1.5A. This explains how Oppo Find 7 charge its latest flagship with 70% in just 30 minutes since it is provided with 4.5A charger.
.. I could be wrong though.

PiskopatYazar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
I have yet to receive my Z2 so I am not entirely sure as to where you can get the charger unfortunately.

I believe quick charge 2.0 mean it supports up to more than (>) 4Amp current compare to the ones provided by sony which is 1.5A. This explains how Oppo Find 7 charge its latest flagship with 70% in just 30 minutes since it is provided with 4.5A charger.
.. I could be wrong though.
Okay will check and see if I can get faster charger for it.

Tags
sony xperia z2 4k video, sony xperia z2 antutu benchmark, sony xperia z2 features, sony xperia z2 photo samples, sony xperia z2 review