Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z1 overheating and bad battery

Tip us?

pheel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Exclamation [Q] Xperia Z1 overheating and bad battery

Hey guys
It's been sometime since I last posted (from the Xperia X10)

I was originally completely psyched out at this Z1 that I got it straight away!
However I have a few major disappointments at this phone:

a) the battery life is horrible. I have to use stamina mode to get it to last a whole day, and that takes away the "smart"phone features... Push notifications? bye.

b) OVERHEATING. THIS THING OVERHEATS LIKE A B****. Any solutions to this?

Do I have a bad device? Should I flash the generic Australia firmware or should I just stick to my own one?
Do any of you have this horrific overheating problem?

Regards
Sony Xperia Z1
[Partially inactive on xda due to studies]

If you need a dropbox, get 250MB free by using THIS link

Nokia 3110 > Nokia 6100 > Sony Ericsson K750i > Nokia 5310 Xpress Music > Nokia N97 Mini > Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i > iPhone4s > Sony Xperia Z1

The Following User Says Thank You to pheel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pheel
Old
(Last edited by pheel; 17th October 2013 at 11:00 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Just some screenshots

Sony Xperia Z1

Nokia 3110 > Nokia 6100 > Sony Ericsson K750i > Nokia 5310 Xpress Music > Nokia N97 Mini > Sony Ericsson Xperia X10i > iPhone4s > Sony Xperia Z1

ahomad
Old
(Last edited by ahomad; 17th October 2013 at 01:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 84
how long the screen was on for?

also, can you press on the graph and take screen shot and post it here (just to see what was on for how long) such as wifi, screen ..etc

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I have also noticed that there are three occasions where the battery level suddenly drop (where the white lines are). I think your battery needs calibration

pheel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Hi how do you calibrate it?
Do you run it down to the min, wipe some stay thing? Gahh it's been a long time since I've used an android

Okay ill screenshot that too, but I just charged my phone so Ill have to wait for a full days worth of usage before giving you that.
Sony Xperia Z1

sfex3best
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I have the same problem....if I startup any Android game like "Despicable me" after 5-10 mins it'll heat up so much....

The battery isn't bad but it should be better for a 3000mah battery.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pheel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfex3best View Post
I have the same problem....if I startup any Android game like "Despicable me" after 5-10 mins it'll heat up so much....

The battery isn't bad but it should be better for a 3000mah battery.

Yeah... I play 5 minutes of clash of clans and I think I can fry eggs with my phone (joke) but still.
It's really annoying I miss my clash of clans, but I don't want to overheat my phone (otherwise I might screw up the battery). I mean the battery is bad enough, without us overheating it and damaging it even more?
Sony Xperia Z1

sfex3best
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Yeah... maybe there is some sort of fix like flashing another ftf or something..... does anyone have any other suggestions to what we could do?

koolbeanz426
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfex3best View Post
Yeah... maybe there is some sort of fix like flashing another ftf or something..... does anyone have any other suggestions to what we could do?

What about the new firmware update rolling out that just started a couple of days ago? I'm pretty sure I read that it contained some performance tweaks. let's just hope they contain the important ones.

pheel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
I still have a nice 63% on my battery but this is after 5 mins of clash of clans and allowing it to for 2 minutes:

So you guys are also having the same problems?
Sony Xperia Z1

ahomad
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Its quite strange

I play GUN PROS 2 and the phone used to heat up after ~40 minutes, which is quite good (I don't play that much anyway, 30 mins is just about enough). but now after flashing the new update (that started rolling out couple of days ago) the phone is even better, at about 40mins the phone starts to get warm (not hot). You might need to try flashing this update.

The problem might be with clash of clan itself as people here complaining about heat when using it, try other game and see if the issue still there.

One more solution, I read somewhere in this forum that someone underclocked his Z1 from 2.2 to 1.7 and got rid of heat without affecting the performance, you need to look for it in the general section, I haven't tried it because I don't have any issue with the phone heating up though. Keep in mind that you need root and you are responsible if something goes wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahomad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
overheating, xperia z1