Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 44,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting and xposing today, any tips?

Tip us?

bob60626
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Rooting and xposing today, any tips?

I have a 4.4.2 LTE N7 (KVT49L) that I'm rooting and installing xposed for sms today. I'm planning on using the Wug kit. I don't have enough stuff on it to worry about backing up apps and such. I have several rooted devices but this will be the first I root myself.

Any final tips before I start?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1399

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60626 View Post
I have a 4.4.2 LTE N7 (KVT49L) that I'm rooting and installing xposed for sms today. I'm planning on using the Wug kit. I don't have enough stuff on it to worry about backing up apps and such. I have several rooted devices but this will be the first I root myself.

Any final tips before I start?
Without knocking toolkits (I've used them myself also still do when I am lazy) I'd use fastboot and flash manually etc, that way if you run into any problems you can fix them. Isn't really much else tbh, Wug's toolkit is pretty good for stuff though.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Without knocking toolkits (I've used them myself also still do when I am lazy) I'd use fastboot and flash manually etc, that way if you run into any problems you can fix them. Isn't really much else tbh, Wug's toolkit is pretty good for stuff though.
^^THIS^^ Especially since this is your first time rooting your own device. Doing it manually the first time will help you learn what exactly is going on in each step. The Nexus devices are super simple to unlock and root manually with only a few command prompts.

bob60626
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks guys! I actually started before any replies... that was easy! The hardest part was the backup.

I installed xposed and have a few modules on there now. That was even easier. I'm getting sms now through hangouts (go sms pro was too laggy) with my sim in, though I'm still getting the pop up notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SwoRNLeaDejZ
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I agree with previous replies. You can boot into recovery without flashing it to root from fastboot, and it really is the best way to go always. Added bonus: once you get used to all of the fastboot and adb commands, you are much more proficient in fixing problems when they arise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk