Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Really want to order a z ultra gpe due to price drop and have 7 million questions

Tip us?
 
seh6183
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 1,551
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Really want to order a z ultra gpe due to price drop and have 7 million questions

Okay maybe I only have 2 questions lol

First off I currently have a note 3 and am as happy as I've ever been with a phone. It does it all, blazing fast, multi window, a feature to shrink the screen for one handed use, great battery life, stylus, and a bunch of dumb features crammed in software wise that I don't care for but who knows, maybe I'll use one of them someday and appreciate it. Nothing wrong with them being there when I can turn them off.

However, I STILL HATE TOUCHWIZ. It makes me want to jab my eyes out whenever I look at it or hear that stupid water droplet sound. I am running a touchwiz 4.4 build, so its the best touchwiz you can get on a phone currently and I still hate it. This is my main motivation for wanting to switch. (On a side note have you guys seen the touchwiz build for the new note tablets? Wow, what a beautiful build they have. If thats a sign of things to come then touchwiz will finally get away from the crap software that looks like it came from the playskool factory). I also think the build quality is just average, although the best I've seen from samsung yet.

The build quality on the sony is literally on another level and with the water proofing and dust resistence it really is a work of art. That coupled with stock android and it seems that you can't go wrong with this phone.

Or can you? One thing the note 3 does beautifully is the multi window feature and use of a gesture to shrink the screen down when wanting to quickly select buttons you normally wouldn't be able to reach with one hand. I went looking for similar features for the xperia because I just can not live without them now that I have them. I found an exact xposed module match for the multi window and from the reviews its flawless or pretty close to it. I wasn't able to find the shrink screen gesture but I did find another xposed module that will allow you to move portions of apps down the screen more so that you can access info more easily with one hand. It just uses padded areas to move things down. Not as good as what the note offers but its something. These two litte things and the advantages of stock android are all I need as far as the software goes.

As for the hardware, you lose half the onboard storage, a gig of ram, an IR blaster, a small amount of battery, and an LED flash. Stock android probably negates the loss of ram because bloated touchwiz probably consumes that as soon as you boot the phone up. The LED flash is probably used twice a year for me, I've never used the IR blaster, and I have a memory card and cloud storage for those needs.


Heres the ONLY thing I need form the community. I see people posting a lot about how amazing the phone is and how they got used to the size within 3 days and it's awesome and this and that. These people also had only had the phone for a week or two so the excitement hadn't worn off yet and they are probably blinded by new-device-ism. What I would love is if someone who has had this phone for over 6 months can comment on the size. I am particularly concerned with it fitting in my front jeans pant pocket. I won't use a case so it will just be the bare phone. Right now my note 3 is seriously pushing the limits. It fits but when I sit down the top of the phone is actually touching my lower abdomen because the pockets aren't deep enough to accomodate the whole phone. I don't want this thing jamming into my side every time I sit down. Also I am mildy concerned about flexing the phone and breaking the screen. Thats honestly the only two concerns I have with it.

Let me know what you think!
Sent from my iPhone 4
 
SÜPERUSER
Old
#2  
SÜPERUSER's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 439
Join Date: Jan 2013
I had mine since september.

Okey about pocket. DO NOT sit down with your phone in the pants pocket. Just don't. Either the device will bend or the glass will brake.
IF the phone is sitting tight in the pocket when standing up, DO NOT walk. Take the device out or it will bend or break the glass.

The front and back WILL eventually get scratched because there is a plastic sheet on both sides. Without this the phone is nearly unable to be scratched. I just got my first tiny tiny scratch on the front last week. Its so tiny you can barely see it. The hardness is of the glass is like sapphire glass!

And what you wrote about the size. Just like they say. Once you buy this you'll never go back. Literally.
 
seh6183
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 1,551
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER View Post
I had mine since september.

Okey about pocket. DO NOT sit down with your phone in the pants pocket. Just don't. Either the device will bend or the glass will brake.
IF the phone is sitting tight in the pocket when standing up, DO NOT walk. Take the device out or it will bend or break the glass.

The front and back WILL eventually get scratched because there is a plastic sheet on both sides. Without this the phone is nearly unable to be scratched. I just got my first tiny tiny scratch on the front last week. Its so tiny you can barely see it. The hardness is of the glass is like sapphire glass!

And what you wrote about the size. Just like they say. Once you buy this you'll never go back. Literally.
Well if I can't walk around with it in my pocket then I may not purchase it. Thats my only means of carrying it around with me. We will have to see what happens I guess. And I wonder what the deal is with the plastic sheets, thats kind of lame. I see that people are removing them to expose the glass underneath, but then they lose the oleophobic coating and it will probably be a disgusting fingerprint magnet.
Sent from my iPhone 4
 
SÜPERUSER
Old
#4  
SÜPERUSER's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 439
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
Well if I can't walk around with it in my pocket then I may not purchase it. Thats my only means of carrying it around with me. We will have to see what happens I guess. And I wonder what the deal is with the plastic sheets, thats kind of lame. I see that people are removing them to expose the glass underneath, but then they lose the oleophobic coating and it will probably be a disgusting fingerprint magnet.
Yes it is a fingerprint magnet. However I purchased G1 & G4 ClearVision Screen kit. This is a rain repellent chemical aimed for cars but it works the same way as a oleophobic coating giving that silk smooth surface.
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...on-screen-kit/

Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gtechniq-G1-...item3a878b8b16

It takes several weeks for the chemicals to bond to its final state and I applied this sunday afternoon. Today its pretty good. Very close to any other phone. Its very smooth.
I have only used it on the front but I might as well apply it on the back some other day.
 
seh6183
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 1,551
Join Date: Mar 2011
I have to be honest this sounds totally cumbersome and lame. I'm going to search now about the scratches. You had yours a pretty long time and you say you onlt got one little scratch after all this time? Doesn't sound horrible to me...
Sent from my iPhone 4
 
DrKrFfXx
Old
#6  
DrKrFfXx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 176
Posts: 547
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER View Post
I had mine since september.

Okey about pocket. DO NOT sit down with your phone in the pants pocket. Just don't. Either the device will bend or the glass will brake.
IF the phone is sitting tight in the pocket when standing up, DO NOT walk. Take the device out or it will bend or break the glass.

The front and back WILL eventually get scratched because there is a plastic sheet on both sides. Without this the phone is nearly unable to be scratched. I just got my first tiny tiny scratch on the front last week. Its so tiny you can barely see it. The hardness is of the glass is like sapphire glass!

And what you wrote about the size. Just like they say. Once you buy this you'll never go back. Literally.
WHAT?!

Don't walk? Don't sit?

I walk, sit, go up and downstairs with my Ultra on my jeans pocket no problem.
 
seh6183
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 1,551
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrFfXx View Post
WHAT?!

Don't walk? Don't sit?

I walk, sit, go up and downstairs with my Ultra on my jeans pocket no problem.
How long have you had it? Right now I'm mre concerned with the scratching mentioned above. I am searcing but am not finding much concerning the sratches. Any scratches on yours? How's it holding up? Thanks in advance.
Sent from my iPhone 4
 
SÜPERUSER
Old
#8  
SÜPERUSER's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 439
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrFfXx View Post
WHAT?!

Don't walk? Don't sit?

I walk, sit, go up and downstairs with my Ultra on my jeans pocket no problem.
it depends on whats kind of jeans you have..you feel it when its too tight. I take no risks anymore ...almost cracked my phone once.
Also look up the other threads here on XDA about bending the device and cracking the glass
 
DrKrFfXx
Old
#9  
DrKrFfXx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 176
Posts: 547
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Madrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SÜPERUSER View Post
it depends on whats kind of jeans you have..you feel it when its too tight. I take no risks anymore ...almost cracked my phone once.
Also look up the other threads here on XDA about bending the device and cracking the glass
I only use slim fit jeans all the time. Not super skinny jeans, but tight jeans. And no problems.

Quote:
How long have you had it? Right now I'm mre concerned with the scratching mentioned above. I am searcing but am not finding much concerning the sratches. Any scratches on yours? How's it holding up? Thanks in advance.
2 month maybe. I come from a Xperia Z.

I have mine ALL SCRATCHED UP. I mean like totally scratched, even the camera lens is scratched. None that I'm specially concerned with. Just remember it's the plastic cover that scratches, the glass is a bit more resistant.

No abuse, just normal use. Leaving it on the table while charging, specially when I didn't have the dock, caused the most scratches.

I don't use cases, they make ginormous an already ****ing big phablet.
 
seh6183
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 1,551
Join Date: Mar 2011
Okay so at the very least I'm going to need to remove the plastic protector and get a glass screen protector on it. Hopefully there are some quality ones that have a nice oleophobic coating on them.
Sent from my iPhone 4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes