Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Did any of the guides help you (Please vote for survey purposes)?
Yes 636 76.26%
No (if not, please PM me with suggestions and additions) 52 6.24%
Didn't get to use them yet 146 17.51%
Voters: 834. You may not vote on this poll

GUIDES [WM]: How to Increase Battery Charge Life (On Android - Pre"Android Guides")

OP nir36

15th January 2009, 10:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem
Thanks Meter: 301

3,845 posts
More
DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD BEFORE READING THE WHOLE POST
PLEASE ADD GUIDES TO COMMON ISSUES YOURSELVES

I decided to open this thread as i saw a lot of people having the same problems. this might help with the "search" issue.
I will try to be as precise as possible while writing the guides so that when you search for something you will find it.

I will dedicate 1 post per guide as to keep everything as neat as possible (if you have comments about any of the guides.. or want to add something, please pm me).
the thread will not be closed but i urge you to post only if you have a guide to post.

also, if you decide to post a guide, please keep the guide as neat as possible, with a title containing the common searched words so that people who look for it can find it easily. (if you can, use the same color (dark orange) and same size (4) and Bold.. for the main title.. tho that's not a must )

I volunteer in a community which helps deserted/hurt animals.
i ask you to open your hearts and donate if you find any of these guides useful. I will work hard on these guides and supply as many as i can to draw as many donations as i can. whoever donates will be listed in this very post.
all donations go to that service.. as my paypal is shared with them. THANK YOU

this donation link will be presented with each guide for your convenience:
If you found this guide useful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

Hope this helps a lot of you.
cheers

post #2. Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)
post #3. Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
post #4. A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks
post #5. Setting Specific File Associations
post #6. Drive Mapping or "how the hell can i see my PC drives on my PDA?"
post #7. Storage card as a Removable Device instead of ActiveSyncing or "USBtoPC"
post #8. "How to backup your contacts/messages/email/notes/data/system...etc."
post #9. "How to Toggle Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware buttons"
post #10. "How to control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more) [UPDATED 8.6.09]
post #11. "How to show Network Info/Network Info using a Today Plug-in
post #12. "How to control my PDA through my PC?"
post #13. "How to make the grey lines between the today screen plugins disppear?"
post #14. "How to stop activesync from turning itself on all the time?"
post #15. "Which shell is the best shell?"
post #16. "Which shell is the best shell?" - continued
post #17. "How to enhance Messaging?" or SMS Applications
post #18. "How to install M2D and change M2D skins?"
post #19. "How to remap hardware buttons?"
Post #20. "How to upgrade my device?" or "How to flash a rom?" (Referances)
Post #21. "How to 'safely' remove applications?" or "Remove Programs"
Post #22. "How to remove unwanted SIP's (Input Methods/Virtual Keyboards)?"
Post #23. "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs"
Post #25. "Registry Tweaks for Volume" by Aegishua
Post #26. "Flashing ROMS from SD card/Internal Storage/Bootloader"
Post #27. an addition to "Setting URL Associations" by selyb
Post #28. an addition to "How to retrieve CAB Files from PC Installation Files" or "Retrieve CABs" by Farmer Ted
Post #29. "How to add your City to both manila 2d and 3d" by timmymarsh
Posts #30-33. "How to: Edit the registry" by wg5566
Last edited by nir36; 16th December 2010 at 03:51 AM.
The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2009, 10:55 PM   |  #2  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Restoring Data/Recovering Data from Devices and Storage Cards (even pcs)
A lot of people have had this problem lately.. where they were losing important information to defects and malfunctions.

Restoring from Storage Card:

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your storage card or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

2. download Active Recovery: http://www.file-recovery.net/

3. use a card reader to read the card through your computer. DO NOT FORMAT IT!

4. use active recovery to recover from Removable Device

Recovering from My Storage (internal storage)

1. first and most important thing is, after losing your data DO NOT COPY ANYTHING to your device or it will overwrite the current data (yes, the data still exists but the pointers were deleted)

2. download Active Recovery: http://www.file-recovery.net/

3. download nueMassStorage (or any other USBtoPC app. you can find a guide for it in this thread so you can choose the most compatible software for you if nueMassStorage doesn't work): http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pag...ssStorage.aspx

4. go to start/settings/connections/USB to PC and mark Mass Storage (USB Drive) instead of Activesync

5. Soft Reset

6. connect your device to your comp. the device will be read as a storage card.

7. use active recovery to recover from Removable Disk

If you found this guide useful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)
Last edited by nir36; 19th January 2009 at 05:25 PM.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2009, 11:00 PM   |  #3  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Automatically Syncing Through Bluetooth (ActiveSync)
I've noticed that many people are looking for a solution to automatically sync their devices using ActiveSync bluetooth sync.

Setting up automated Bluetooth ActiveSync

[Update 6.8.09]
Solved! This new tools provides you with the ability to autosync to a specific computer through bluetooth, allowing you to set intervals, enable or disable the autosync and select which computer you'd like to connect to.

Auto Activesync via BT (when in range) by user dmkpoznan
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=530327
THIS IS FREEWARE

[/Update]

for this... you will need 2 tools and one script

1. MortScript - http://www.sto-helit.de/downloads/mo...Script-4.1.zip
2. BlueStarter - http://smartmobiletools.freehostia.c...StarterCab.CAB
3. BTSync script (written by le_cactus) - included in this post (downstairs)

these are the steps you need to follow:
1. install mortscript
2. install bluestarter
3. put the script file in a dir of your choice
4. launch bluestarter
5. set the bluetooth device you want to sync with (all should appear in a dropbox)
6. write the path of the script file (e.g. \\storage card\\BTSync.mscr)
7. go to menu/interval config and choose the way you want to sync..
8. (DONT FORGET THIS STEP) open the script file and change all NIR36-PC to the name of your bluetooth connection, that is to your comp's name.

A few clarifications.
- if you set the interval to "On Power Button Pressed" a BTSync connection will occur EVERY time you wake your device up
- if you set the interval to "Time Interval" it will sync every set amount of time.. and even if you're sleeping and your comp is on it will sync and stay synced.. so it may drain your battery.
- in any case, if your comp is off, it will try to sync but nothing will happen.

if you're looking for a normal BTSync without an interval you can just set one of the hardware buttons to run the .mscr

cheers

If you found this guide helpful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)

BTSync File
Last edited by nir36; 6th August 2009 at 09:36 AM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2009, 11:05 PM   |  #4  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
A Definitive Guide to Bluetooth Services + Bluetooth Stacks
This is an old guide i wrote about 10 months ago. might help you out.

After a lot of strugle with using Wireless Headsets, Serial Ports, Activesync over BT and Sideshow... i managed to have them all work.. on VISTA and XP.
So i decided to write a fully detailed tutorial for whoever needs it.

Bluetooth Services Guide (including repairing commom bluetooth sync problem)

1. Know your Stack.
if your stack is the toshiba one, when you right click on the bt trayicon you should see OPTIONS..
if your stack is the microsoft one, ... well.. you will not see OPTIONS

2. before starting to deal with services i suggest you download one of the stacks below, according to your demand, and install them. also install Windows Mobile Device Center (from now on WMDC).

This is WMDC6.1 x86...

http://rapidshare.com/files/12034037...1-x86.exe.html

These are both the LATEST versions of both stacks: (up until the day of posting this message of course )

TOSHIBA STACK:
http://rapidshare.com/files/12018696...BA_BTSTACK.zip

MS STACK:
http://rapidshare.com/files/120187911/MS_BTSTACK.exe

i strongly suggest you keep both files on your comp as a cover for any services one might provide while the other doesn't.
to save you the trouble. (after a correction from Jadel):
MS Stack works with both Activesync AND sideshow.
TOSHIBA Stack is problematic although more userfriendly AND provides some different options which might come handy. i had to go thru a ****load of trouble to sync it with Vista... and syncing it with XP isn't a teaparty either.

3. after finding out which one you have we can begin.

AS - ActiveSync.
this will probably be the most problematic service to have working since a lot of times it DOESNT APPEAR AS A SERVICE. when you try to sync with the comp it tells you you have to pair it.. even tho the device is already paired with the comp.
XP might be more flexible with this but the solution is for both XP and VISTA.

To Async using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
a. open Control Panel and open the BT Ports editor..
b. add a port and choose it as a Server.. (usually it rounds up to ports 6 or 7 but you may have to try others..)
c. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
d. on your device go to Bluetooth Settings and add a new device... put the desired passkey... and you should see a list of the services the computer provides the PDA.
e. now this is a bit tricky to deal with. sometimes ActiveSync might not appear there. if it doesn't, go to COM Ports (in bluetooth settings on your device) and add the COM port you added on your comp..
go back to Devices and choose your comp and click Refresh. if ActiveSync appears there, mark it. if it doesn't, you should delete your comp from your device and this time add the port BEFORE finding your comp. it that doesn't work, you should follow the links i will provide soon.
f. on your device, open ActiveSync and under Menu choose Connect Via Bluetooth.

To Async using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
a. open Control Panel and open Bluetooth Devices
b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connec to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
c. go to COM ports and add an INCOMING port. it will choose a port for you automatically.
d. go to WMDC/Connection Settings and mark "Allow connections to one of the following.." and choose the port you created.
e. go back to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Active Sync Bluetooth Service. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.
f. on your device, open ActiveSync and under Menu choose Connect Via Bluetooth.

(if these methods don't work you should follow the reference links in the below post).

SP - Serial Port.
some services demand a serial port. for instance, if you're using the Desktop iGO8 and would like to connect a BT GPS receiver to your comp the serial port service must be enabled. i found TOSHIBA's stack to be much more flexible concerning port usage. in Control panel you have a BT Ports icon somewhere.. if you double click on it.. it will let you play with the ports and change them to help you adjust various devices as well as use the ports as Clients or as Servers. this is important for ActiveSync as well (depending on the device).

An example:
Ipaq's Desktop iGO8 supports a Bluetooth GPS receiver. to use it, you have to define a COM port (just as we did for activesync, depending on your stack)...
you will have to define a port for the receiver and make sure the Serial Port service is marked or the program will not identify the PDA. some programs might NOT need this service at all.
(of course, this is only for people who want to use their PDA's GPS receiver. people who have a seperate GPS receiver might get the port number automatically when pairing it with the computer or have to find the correct port themselves (in older receivers).

also, to use the Networking feature you have to use the Serial port service. (i will post links for this as well).

WH - I would prefer leaving this for later as i play with it a little further.

SS - Sideshow. (Vista Users)
i tried using sideshow on 3 different devices. Wizard, Polaris and Titan.
all 3 came out with nothing when i used the TOSHIBA stack. the devices didn't discover the SideShow service even tho it was installed on my comp and my device was paired with the comp.
now if you're using the MICROSOFT stack.. it's a whole different area.

Alright. so a little batch of detailed insturctions about using this:
(during the process make sure your device is DISCOVERABLE)

IMPORTANT! you should make sure the Sideshow software is active on your device while doing this. i tried syncing the service once with it on and once off and it sorta confused me. so we'll just agree on having it ON.

To use sideshow using TOSHIBA Stack do the following:
a. on your device, go to Bluetooth Settings
b. add your device.
c. look for the Sideshow service in the list. if it's there, Mark it, (on your comp) go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.
d. if it's not there, you should add a port on both your device and your computer. the ports should match.
e. go back to devices and refresh the Services list.
f. to my knowledge, if it doesn't work up to this point, give it up

To use sideshow using MICROSOFT Stack do the following:
a. open Control Panel and open Bluetooth Devices
b. click Add and add your device. go to Options and mark "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer" and "Allow Bluetooth Devices to connect to this computer". you can also mark other options as desired.
c. go to COM ports and add an INCOMING port. it will choose a port for you automatically.
d. go to Devices and choose your PDA. choose Properties and go to Services. there you should see all services your PDA provides. one of them should be Windows Sideshow. mark it and click OK. your comp and PDA should connect and disconnect a few secs later.
e. go to control panel, go to sideshow, and you should be able to mark V on the gadgets you'd like to use.

after syncing the service and choosing the gadgets you'd like to use from Control Panel/Windows Sideshow you can go back to your device and go back to the sideshow software and click Connect....... ................. ........

TP - Technical Port (this concerns only people who use ASUS's GXP Factory PDA so if you're not, just ignore this).
for the GXP to control Wireless devices such as ELTO's waterpipe controller and Applied Materials' connectors you HAVE to have a Technical port enabled as a service. other than Serial port this is the only service the GXP provides, so you won't have much trouble enabling it as it's part of the software.. it will always appear. MAKE SURE you DO NOT create another bluetooth port as it will use it instead of the default one and you will not be able to control ANY of the wireless devices around you.

If you found this guide helpful please Donate.. (all donations go to TZABACH Wounded Animal Service)
Last edited by nir36; 15th January 2009 at 11:13 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th January 2009, 11:23 PM   |  #5  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Setting Specific File Associations
there were a few queries about setting file/url associations.

Setting Specific File Associations

1. download Schaps' Advanced Configuration Tool from http://www.touchxperience.com/

1a. thank Schaps for creating this unbelievable tool.

2. install it and soft reset

3. open the config tool from start/prorams/advanced config

4. click menu/more settings/file associations

5. a list will load containing all file association information on your device.

6. you can choose a specific file type from the list and assign a direct path or choose the Select Program... option to assign an app to run the file. REMEMBER to click SAVE after EVERY association.

7. click close and soft reset.

Setting URL associations

This issue doesn't contain much info.
Every browser (at least to my knowledge), contains the option to choose it as the device's default browser.
when chosen, every URL ran will be loaded using that browser.

for instance, if you are using UltimateLaunch and you set an icon to run http://www.xda-developers.com, it wil be loaded using the default browser.

Last edited by nir36; 24th January 2009 at 12:31 AM.
17th January 2009, 03:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Drive Mapping or "how the hell can i see my PC drives on my PDA?"
Before i managed to map a drive to my ppc i lost my mind.
eventually, thanks to a user named feanor512 i managed to have it work.
This guide will provide what you need to

Map a PC drive for access through your PDA

in this guide we will use JUVS HTC Network plug-in (attached below)

1. Install the "JUVS HTC Network Plug-in" cab
(if you're having problems you can try Schap's version.. also provided below)

2. Soft Reset

3. share a drive on your comp and setup the permissions. (this is done by right clicking on the drive, going to the Sharing tab, applying a sharing name and adding permissions. you should also (if applicable) go to the Security tab and add permissions there).
(usually this is done by right clicking a folder on your comp, clicking "Share..."" choosing the user.. and approving the share.
(in vista you have to remember to go to start/control panel/network and sharing center" and "enable Network Discovery and File Sharing" and disable "Password protected sharing").

4. on your device, go to "start/settings/connection/network plugin".

5. mark "enable network folder" and click "New..."

6. ENABLE WIFI

7. write the remote path: \\IP\sharedfoldername or \\COMPNAME\\sharedfoldername (i.e. \\10.0.0.1\apps) and write the name you'd like to assign to it in Local Name.
MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THE EXACT NAME OF THE SHARED FOLDER

8. click Map Drive. a message approving the mapping should pop up.

now you should be able to access the shared folder through you PPC. it should appear in /root/Network/sharedfoldername (you can see it in your File Explorer)

TROUBLESHOOTING:

my problem.. and apparently, not only mine, was that an authentication progress was flawed and i always got a message saying i can't map the drive.
so here's a solution to this problem. (both in Vista and in XP)

written by feanor512:

1.Start.
2. Run.
3. Type "mmc".
4. Ok.
5. File.
6. Add/Remove Snap-in.
7. Group Policy Object Editor.
8. Add.
9. Finish.
10. Ok.
11. Local computer policy.
12. Computer configuration.
13. Windows settings.
14. Security settings
15. Local policies.
16. Security options.
17. Right click on "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level".
18. Choose "Properties".
19. From the drop-down box, choose one of the first three options (you'll have to experiment). (i chose the 2nd one and it works)
20. Ok.

You're invited to pm me with questions.. if something isn't clear or if you're having problems.

Last edited by nir36; 8th March 2009 at 01:03 AM.
17th January 2009, 03:28 PM   |  #7  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
"storage card as a Removable Device instead of ActiveSyncing" or "USBtoPC"
USBtoPC let's you choose whether you'd like to connect your device using USB in ActiveSync mode (a slow connection but let's you sync with your PC) or Removable Device mode (a fast connection which doesn't allow syncing but allows you to see your storage card as a removable device on your PC).

there are a few solutions our there.. but not all work on all devices.
I will try to address as many devices as i can.

SOFTWARE for USBtoPC or MassStorage (and WM5torage)

1. Softick Card Export

http://www.softick.com/cardexport2/

To my knowledge, this software works on all HTC PDAs but isn't free.
It's very easy to use once installed... all you do is enable it and once connected to your PC you will see your storage card as a removable device.

2. WM5torage (current version is 1.8)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=349143

This is a freeware.. very easy to use as well. It doesn't work on all devices... for instance, on my Polaris. it shows as a removable device but doesn't allow me to open it.

3. Tweaked WM5torage

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=2031817

this is a version tweaked by "lover" for Polaris and Kaiser.

4. nueMassStorage

http://www.nuerom.com/BlogEngine/pag...ssStorage.aspx

This is a freeware...an app created by "nue2chem". it supports Titan and Vogue.

all you have to do is install it and go to start/settings/connections/USB to PC.. and check the desired option. if i'm not mistaken, no soft reset is required.

5. HTC USBtoPC (from diamond)

http://rapidshare.com/files/12204557...18143432.1.cab

this acts exactly like nue2chem's app... and honestly, i don't exactly know which devices are supported... you'll have to experiment.

Last edited by nir36; 17th January 2009 at 11:25 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd January 2009, 02:51 PM   |  #8  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Backup your contacts/messages/email/notes/data/system...etc.
another common question presented in the early days of the Q&A section and is presented still is "how do i back my stuff up?"

well...

How do I backup my Contacts/Messages/Email and/or my System?

Personally, and at work, I use 3 tools to back everything up.
I will review all 3.

1. PIMBackup 2.8 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705 - the tool was created by dotfred
PIMBackup IS FREEWARE

PIMBackup is used to backup information only. that is:
- appointments
- call logs
- contacts
- messages (SMS, Mails, ...)
- speed dials
- tasks

No installation required.

To backup your info:

a. Load pimbackup
b. choose Backup from the dropbox
c. choose the info you'd like to backup, click next
d. click browse and choose where you'd like the backup file to be stored
e. you can choose other options from the list according to your preference, click next
f. a backup file will be created in the dir you chose.

To restore your info:

a. Load pimbackup
b. choose restore from the dropbox
c. click browse and look for your backup file.
d. choose the info you'd like to restore...
e. the rest is pretty clear.

2. SPB Backup - http://beta.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/backup/
SPB Backup IS NOT FREEWARE

SPBBackup is used to backup all info and data. it can also create an image of your system. The image is DOES NOT act like a regular PC image but an image of multiple files sitting separately in one file. It DOES NOT contain your ROM data... but if you need to restore to a previous state it works great. it can also backup network storage and storage cards.

To backup your info/data:

a. choose custom backup
b. choose the info/data you'd like to backup
c. click Menu/options and choose whether you'd like to create a stand-alone restorer or not. (the stand-alone restorer creates an EXE file while you can run from your file manager. If you don't choose a stand-alone restorer you will have to load SPBBackup and choose Restore Backup and choose the backup file).
d. write the file name and location where you'd like to save your backup file, click next
e. choose whether you'd like to have the info/data compressed... and encrypted.. and maybe add a comment.. (i usually write to which rom the backup fits)
f. the rest is pretty clear...

You can also backup the entire storage card using SPBBackup..
You can also choose to create a full backup which skips some of the above steps.

You can create a scheduled backup as well.. very useful.

3. SPB Clone - http://beta.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/clone/
SPB Clone IS NOT FREEWARE (putting it mildly)

UIwise, SPB Clone pretty much resembles SPB Backup in every aspect. it's straight forward and doesn't require instructions.

SPB Clone is more of an industrial tool. I use it at work to clone images of PPC's and restore them on different devices.
it seems that the differences between SPB Clone and SPB Backup are minor.. but there are a few relevant ones.
You can also backup the entire storage card using SPBClone..

-SPB Clone can be personalized to specific PPC IP's and owner names.
-SPB Backup doesn't depend on anything but the ROM and it less sensitive different rom versions.

-SPB Clone costs 299$
-SPB Backup costs 25$

-SPB Clone doesn't backup sync info meaning you can't backup your sync profile. this is usually how it's done in enterprises. This means that if you used SPB Backup you would be copying all sync info to another person in your company. something you probably wouldn't want to happen.

and the most important one.
-SPB Clone's restore period is MUCH faster. SPB Backup restores files individually while SPB Clone restores a complete image of the device.
I will probably update this guide with more backup tools in the future.

Last edited by nir36; 19th February 2009 at 11:40 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2009, 12:27 AM   |  #9  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
Toggling Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware buttons
apparently, it is a very common question.

How do i toggle Bluetooth/Wifi using Hardware Buttons only?

well... i'll present the 3 solutions and add some flavors to spice it up.

Toggling Wifi

1. Extract Wifi_ON_OFF.exe to your windows directory. (file attached below)
2. Extract Wifi_ON_OFF.lnk to your windows/start menu/programs dir.
3. go to Start/Settings/Buttons
4. choose the hardware key you'd like to assign Wifi_ON_OFF to.
5. from the dropbox below, choose Wifi_ON_OFF (as shown in the screenshot below)

Toggling Bluetooth

1. Extract Bluetooth_ON_OFF.exe to your windows directory. (file attached below)
2. Extract Bluetooth_ON_OFF.lnk to your windows/start menu/programs dir.
3. go to Start/Settings/Buttons
4. choose the hardware key you'd like to assign BT_ON_OFF to.
5. from the dropbox below, choose Bluetooth_ON_OFF (same as in Wifi)

While you are at it, i would recommend using HButton as a keymapping software. It already has the options of wifi-toggling and bt-toggling built in, and many more options. you can also map more than one app to each button.

You can download HButton from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=306794

To map using HButton

1. go to Start/Programs/HButton
2. load HBSetup
3. Choose the delay between app switching (this is the delay which will be set between each app mapped to the same button)
4. choose whether you'd like to vibrate when an app is loaded
5. choose whether you'd like to beep when an app is loaded
6. choose whether you'd like to display the name of the app loaded.
7. choose the button you'd like to setup (there is no difference between HButton1 to HButton7... or 5.. or any other.
8. if you choose "cycle" keeping the hardware button pressed will endlessly cycle between the same apps mapped to the same button
9. if you choose not to cycle, pressing the hardware button will show the first app, and if you keep it pressed during the previous set delay, it will move to the 2nd app and load it directly.
10. from the dropbox below, choose the option/app you'd like to map and click add. you can do this to as many app as you'd like. you can also browse for any file/app desired.
11. up/down will set the loading sequence.
12. click ok.

that's it, you're set to go.

the below files were NOT made by me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc_capture1.jpg
Views:	2731
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	149642  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wifi_ON-OFF.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: zip Bluetooth_ON-OFF.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 128 views)
Last edited by nir36; 24th January 2009 at 12:30 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nir36 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2009, 02:02 PM   |  #10  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Jerusalem

3,845 posts
More
"how do i control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more)
"how do i control my PC through my PDA?" or "Remote Controls" (Media and more)

there are many applications created to control your PC using your PPC.
some contain features to control multimedia applications, some contain keyboard control, mouse control, system control.. volume and so forth.

[Update 8.6.09]
A new tool is presented in the following thread, allowing you to control an app or two and add normal keyboard and mouse support to your PDA which requires NO SERVERSIDE CLIENT!

MobileSrc MobileRemote
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=504730
THIS IS NOT FREEWARE

[/Update]

let's present a few solutions.

1. Salling Clicker
http://www.salling.com/clicker/windows/
SALLING CLICKER IS NOT FREEWARE

Salling clicker is what I currently use. There's one reason for that and one only. Salling clicker let's you use scripts to control your PC. you can write them or download them. you can shut your screen off or turn it on, manage volume and system state, control your mouse, control Winamp, Windows Media Player, BSPlayer, M2VPlayer..powerpoint.. i can go on and on. the list is long.
Salling Clicker isn't as finger friendly and good looking like Gremote, but it does let you control your comp using both Bluetooth and Wifi and it also has the coolest feature between all remote controls - one of the scripts is an OSD which shows you callerid and stops any media player currently playing when you receive a call. this is very useful for me as I listen to Trance all day long and can't hear my phone ringing pretty often.

To use Salling Clicker
a. go to the website mentioned above and download salling clicker.
b. install the client both on your PC and PPC
c. go to http://www.salling.com/forums/ and find the scripts you would like to use.
d. copy the scripts to your PC to My Documents/My Clicker Scripts
e. load Salling Clicker on your PPC
f. Turn WIFI/Bluetooth on depending on which connection type you'd like to use
g. click Menu and connect using that same connection type. (if you choose wifi you will have to put in the right IP address, if you choose bluetooth you will have to choose the computer to connect to from the list of bluetooth devices)
h. after connecting you can start playing with the scripts. you will need to experiment in order to gain full potential out of this magnificent piece of software.

2. GRemote
http://gbmsoftware.com/index.php?opt...id=6&Itemid=10|http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=427097
GREMOTE IS FREEWARE

Gremote was created (and is still being updated) by GBM software (user named marbalon in xda-devs). The GUI is unbelievably cool and besides the fact that it makes the whole experience much nicer than in Salling Clicker it also is VERY finger friendly.
You can control your keyboard, media player, mouse, use some system controls AND, if you have a Gsensor, you can use it to control your mouse like, and i quote, "Logitech MX Air (not the same)".
Gremote is certainly the way to go if it meets all your demands and if you want something as user friendly as it can get.
The PC client doesn't require installation, you can just run it, which is nice, but you'll have to install a client on your PPC.
The major setback in GRemote is that it only supports Wifi thus making it necessary to have a router around or to connect using Ad-Hoc.

To use GRemote
a. download from the link above.
b. Install the client according to your device's resolution.
c. Run the PC client.
d. Activate your Wifi (You have to activate it BEFORE running the ppc client)
e. run Salling Clicker on your PPC and go to Profiles
f. You can create a profile manually or choose Find to find a comp running the PC Client.
g. after configuring the profile click Add. from now on, this profile will be saved on your PPC and you can run it every time you run GRemote by default.
h. Click Save
i. Click Go !!!
j. now you can start having fun with it.

You can also check out the PC client for other options like enabling/disabling vibrate on soft click... and so forth.

A new feature has been added recently letting you use your PPC as a Joystick.. or whatever you call it nowadays

3. Jerome Leban's Bluetooth Remote Control
http://www.jaylee.org/remotecontrol/
Jerome Leban's Bluetooth Remote Control IS FREEWARE

This application is the first remote control i've used on my PDA. It is somewhat old and doesn't have all the features of the other 2 apps presented above.
You can control your mouse, Mediaplayer, Winamp.. your screen... control your keyboard and even change bindings so that you can fit any key to whatever command you wish to execute. you can control powerpoint, itunes, PowerDVD.. and a few more regularly used applications.
This tool uses Bluetooth ONLY.
The mouse is not as responsive as you'd like it to be, making this app less useful and it is certainly NOT fingerfriendly.
I will not specify how to use it. you can download it and give it a shot. it requires both a PC and PPC clients to be installed.
If you need a remote for something specific, you will find it either in Salling Clicker or in GRemote, making this app obsolete.
You're welcome to try it tho and see if it fits you.

4. z2Remote2PC
http://www.z2software.com/Remote2PC.htm
z2Remote2PC IS NOT FREEWARE

It is pointless to start detailing the features of z2Remote2PC. this software is one piece of krazieass cement breaker. you can do pretty much anything you want using it. It isn't as finger friendly as GRemote, but i'll stop/start here and tell you that it differs from the other 3 since it's supposed to be a "far-away" remote control. you should use it to control your comp from outside your home.. you can see your PPC's screen on your PPC and do pretty much everything you can do using your PPC. it support Vista and even supports hard graphics (that doesn't mean you'll be able to play Crysis on your PPC.. )
You should download this and experiment as configuration is endless. you will need to install both a PC and PPC clients for this to work.
notice you will have to open a specific port in your router and/or windows firewall for this to work. notice it supports Wifi/Cellular connections.
z2Remote2PC has a LO-HOT to offer and you can spend a day just going thru all the options/features.. both client and server side.

Last edited by nir36; 6th August 2009 at 09:35 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
activesync, backup, bluetooth, custom cities, drive mapping, guides, lines, network info, recover, remote, toggle bluetooth, toggle wifi, usbtopc, weather cities
Previous Thread Next Thread