Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question How do I install apk from Terminal Emulator from my Android Phone running JellyBean ?

OP hsotnas

24th July 2012, 03:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 36

31 posts
More
Hello,

Here is the short story.

I have Samsung Galaxy ACE which is rooted.

Till y'day I was using CM9 Beta 8 ICS 4.0.4 and it was working well.

I installed CM10 JB for Galaxy Ace alpha1 from "hxxp://maclaw.pl/?page_id=180#comment-3642"

Now the problem is, JB doesn't have File Manager installed and I need to install TB to revert my backups.

Due to some unknown reason I am not able to access internet on my device either through GPRS or 3G connection.

I am desperately looking for a way to access my SDCARD wherein I have all my apk's which I can install however, without File Manager I am not sure how to install an apk.

I did some google search and came across topics about installing apk using Android SDK etc.. however I would not want to work on SDK as I feel its bit tedious job for me.

I also tried Android Injector however that didnt work even if I have enabled USB debugging Mode for adb + apps.

Now, I am hoping that, I can use the Terminal Emulator which is preinstalledo n my phone to install apk present on my sdcard.

However, I am not sure how to do that, It would be really appreciated if anyone can suggest the steps to install apk present on my sdcard from Terminal Emulator available on my phone.

Here are some of the screen captures

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...072418240.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...072418234.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...072418230.png/

Thanks
Last edited by hsotnas; 24th July 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: url update
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hsotnas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2012, 08:49 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

31 posts
More
Never mind...

I managed to install Astro File Manager apk from Terminal Emulator.

For those who are interested, here is what I had done.

Previously, I wasn't able to browse sdcard contents from TE,

I rebooted my phone once, fired up TE again

~Android$ su

Allow root access for TE

~Android# cd sdcard

~Android# ls ( Contents of SD card are listed ) I had copied astrofm.apk on root of SDCARD

~Android# pm install astrofm.apk

Success !

Thanks

P.S. This thread can be closed.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to hsotnas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2013, 01:25 PM   |  #3  
Flag Malaysia
Thanks Meter: 17

92 posts
More
@@
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnas

Never mind...

~Android$ su

Allow root access for TE

~Android# cd sdcard

~Android# ls ( Contents of SD card are listed ) I had copied astrofm.apk on root of SDCARD

Success !

Thanks

Awesome guide !!!! , thanks bro !!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rakionowner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
Thank you for the guide
24th March 2013, 11:18 AM   |  #5  

1 posts
it works. thank you
20th June 2013, 06:35 AM   |  #6  
Flag Yogyakarta

1 posts
More
works, thanks
4th July 2013, 05:41 AM   |  #7  
Flag League City

30 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsotnas

Never mind...

~Android$ su

Allow root access for TE

~Android# cd sdcard

Success !

Thanks

I very much appreciate the quick tutorial!

However, with that being said, I am having an issue trying to install my .apk onto my Motorola Xoom (Rooted running CM10.1) through the use of Terminal Emulator. I first tried installing the .apk from my File Manager and just clicking on the icon, and clicking Install, like one would think one should be able to do. When that method failed, multiple times(kept saying "insufficient storage, please delete files through app manager") which by the way, I know for a fact I have 15.8GB of storage left on my Xoom, so this should not be the issue. I then decided to try and install through Terminal Emulator. Now one would think it would be about the same as using adb commands on a Computer, which it somewhat is I guess you could say. So I go to T.E. and type the commands to get Super User access, then cd sdcard to go into the directory, then cd download because this is where my file is located, then I type pm install ****.apk.

I get a line of command that says: a) pkg: ****.apk and then b) Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE], and then the command line just goes back to my download folder directory.

I've had this issue before on my Galaxy S3, but can't remember how I ended up resolving the issue. Think I did a factory data reset/wipe, which I don't want to have to do to my Xoom. So any assistance would be much appreciated. I do understand that your device was a Galaxy ACE, but I wouldn't think it would matter as to what the device is, since it is the same install method/command for any Android device essentially. Hope someone can help out. If not, I may have to post in another Device Thread (Motorola Stingray Xoom I would assume).

Many thanks in advance, and I will click the Thank You, if any responses come through.
4th July 2013, 06:04 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

14 posts
Really appreciate for the guide man

Sent from my LG-P700 using xda app-developers app
30th July 2013, 01:08 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

34 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the reply... short, to the point, and it works.
16th August 2013, 12:36 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

31 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyShane

I very much appreciate the quick tutorial!

However, with that being said, I am having an issue trying to install my .apk onto my Motorola Xoom (Rooted running CM10.1) through the use of Terminal Emulator. I first tried installing the .apk from my File Manager and just clicking on the icon, and clicking Install, like one would think one should be able to do. When that method failed, multiple times(kept saying "insufficient storage, please delete files through app manager") which by the way, I know for a fact I have 15.8GB of storage left on my Xoom, so this should not be the issue. I then decided to try and install through Terminal Emulator. Now one would think it would be about the same as using adb commands on a Computer, which it somewhat is I guess you could say. So I go to T.E. and type the commands to get Super User access, then cd sdcard to go into the directory, then cd download because this is where my file is located, then I type pm install ****.apk.

I get a line of command that says: a) pkg: ****.apk and then b) Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE], and then the command line just goes back to my download folder directory.

I've had this issue before on my Galaxy S3, but can't remember how I ended up resolving the issue. Think I did a factory data reset/wipe, which I don't want to have to do to my Xoom. So any assistance would be much appreciated. I do understand that your device was a Galaxy ACE, but I wouldn't think it would matter as to what the device is, since it is the same install method/command for any Android device essentially. Hope someone can help out. If not, I may have to post in another Device Thread (Motorola Stingray Xoom I would assume).

Many thanks in advance, and I will click the Thank You, if any responses come through.

Hi DannyShane,

Not sure if this is still relevant and you are around here, since it's been a very long time and I stopped using Android

I am not an Android geek but here are my 2 cents...

You need to keep .apk file on the root of the SD CARD instead of a folder. IIRC, I had the same exact error which you had mentioned, I was trying to install .apk which was placed in a folder and it didnt work., then I had to move the .apk file to root and it worked flawlessly.

Extremely sorry for the very late response though. I use my secondary e-mail for this forum and missed replies on this thread.

@ All others who have replied, I am glad that, my little finding helped you guys.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to hsotnas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread