Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Towelroot

Tip us?

jgaviota
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default Towelroot

Has anyone tried geohot's Towelroot with KK?

Quote:
The root exploit itself is built around Linux kernel CVE-2014-3153, which was recently discovered by hacker Pinkie Pie, and it involves an issue in the Futex subsystem that in turn allows for privilege escalation. Although expressly released for the Verizon Galaxy S5, the root exploit will realistically be compatible with practically every device with an unpatched kernel–which at this point should be nearly every device not running a recent nightly build of a custom ROM with a patched kernel. As such, it has also already been tested and found to work with the AT&T Galaxy S5, Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 Active, and AT&T and Verizon variants of the Note 3.
Original Thread

If it works we have a way to root with the new bootloader without tripping Knox.

Knox will be tripped if you install a custom recovery or kernel using odin though.

sidmoraes
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaviota View Post

Original Thread

If it works we have a way to root with the new bootloader without tripping Knox.

Knox will be tripped if you install a custom recovery or kernel using odin though.
I tried... Doesn't work.

Eodmule
Old
(Last edited by Eodmule; 17th June 2014 at 04:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
Confirmed it doesn't work on my GT-N5110 running stock 4.4.2. Damn, I was hoping since I'm still under warranty until October.

sefrcoko
Old
Thanks Meter 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eodmule View Post
Confirmed it doesn't work on my GT-N5110 running stock 4.4.2. Damn, I was hoping since I'm still under warranty until October.
Check Civato's thread in the dev section. You can use his rom and and kernel to get rooted 4.4.2 (with working wifi!) without needing to update to the Knox bootloader.

pillarama
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaviota View Post

Original Thread

Didn't work for me either on GT-N5120 with 4.4.2 - just reboots immediately when I hit the "make it ra1n" button.... Can anyone running KK please confirm their kernel version - Mine is 3.0.31-1600517 which seems stupidly old for a brand new firmware (Yeah, Go Samsung! )... my S4 is still running Android 4.3 and that already has a 3.4.0 kernel...

I can't recall what kernel mine ran with 4.2.2 but I'm guessing it was much the same as it is now...

jgaviota
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Someone tried with a GT-N5100?

User John Shenon Uy says it worked for him...

RavenY2K3
Old
Thanks Meter 356
I've found that it depends on the Kernel, I have successfully used it on my Tab Pro 8.4 LTE, but wouldn't work with the installed Kernel at that time which had a February date stamp, I changed for a stock Kernel from March and it worked a treat.

If you change the Kernel on you device, I'd stay clear of firmwares that have a June Build date, The TowelRoot thread states the exploit was plugged on June 3rd.

You can keep your current 4.4 build, just download a slightly newer one from another region, extract the Kernel and flash it to your device, then try TowelRoot.

That's what I have done for my device and I have created repacked tar's for a couple of other versions of the Tab Pro, one has worked and I'm waiting to here back from the other 2 variants.

And Yes, Knox has remained at 0x0 on the devices.
If anyone wants to try it out, I'm more than happy to create a package for your device, just send me a PM.
Current Device: Galaxy Note III SM-N9005, Note 8.0 GT-N5100 & Galaxy Camera EK-GC100

Retired but still own: Galaxy Note II, Dell Streak

Used to own:Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 - Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - - HTC Touch Pro 2 - Samsung Galaxy SII - HTC Desire - MDA Vario III - HTC Hermes (MDA Vario II) - Raphael - HTC Touch Pro -
HTC Wizard (MDA Vario) - O2 XDA IIi - HTC Magician (MDA Compact)

RavenY2K3
Old
Thanks Meter 356
GeoHot has updated the app, if it didn't work before, give V2 a try.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Current Device: Galaxy Note III SM-N9005, Note 8.0 GT-N5100 & Galaxy Camera EK-GC100

Retired but still own: Galaxy Note II, Dell Streak

Used to own:Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 - Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - - HTC Touch Pro 2 - Samsung Galaxy SII - HTC Desire - MDA Vario III - HTC Hermes (MDA Vario II) - Raphael - HTC Touch Pro -
HTC Wizard (MDA Vario) - O2 XDA IIi - HTC Magician (MDA Compact)

sisterchick
Old
Thanks Meter 205
V2 still doesnt work. Just reboots on latest stock build N5110.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
@sisterchick
Galaxy Note 8 N5110 stock ● Nexus S i9020a with SlimKat
Legacy: HTC G1 ● HTC Desire Z ● Nook Color with CM10 on EMCC and Tablet UI Mod

Eodmule
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Neither version works with any Exynos SoC, regardless of kernel. If you can, adb a logcat and send it to geohot. With enough reports maybe he can make V3 that will work.