Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cconfirmed 4.2 backups will restore on 4.4 Bootloader

Tip us?

megalomanic14
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,691
Default Cconfirmed 4.2 backups will restore on 4.4 Bootloader

Confirmed: you can restore 4.2.2 base rom backups after you've Odin flashed the 4.4 kk update with the new bootloader...just an FYI as I've been able to successfully restore back and forth between 4.2 and 4.4 base roms

Mega
The Following User Says Thank You to megalomanic14 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gooberdude
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomanic14 View Post
Confirmed: you can restore 4.2.2 base rom backups after you've Odin flashed the 4.4 kk update with the new bootloader...just an FYI as I've been able to successfully restore back and forth between 4.2 and 4.4 base roms

Mega
Easier said than done... You fail to mention: Unless your app has bug fixes 4.4.2 will cause issues and not to do a full restore. Also you led us to believe you can restore to 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 from 4.4.2. Only the apps you can do so, unless they are OEM specific and are only made for 4.4.2.
GT-N5110 - Saferooted Stock 4.2.2
OTA - Kies Enabled
Xposed Framework
Wanam Xposed
Download to SD Xposed
633x 64GB SD
Multi User @ 4 / WIFI JP 14 / DPI @ 213 in build.prop
360 Security
Greenify & Experimental Features
Play Music frozen & Gallery thumbnail caching disabled
8+ hrs run time
12% per hr Netflix streaming with Miracast
3% drain on 12 hrs of standby WIFI on & Sync enabled
1080p 30fps MHL - Native
3D 1080p Miracast - Secondscreen app
500MB Standby / Wake
750MB average

megalomanic14
Old
(Last edited by megalomanic14; 7th June 2014 at 08:52 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdude View Post
Easier said than done... You fail to mention: Unless your app has bug fixes 4.4.2 will cause issues and not to do a full restore. Also you led us to believe you can restore to 4.2.2 or 4.2.1 from 4.4.2. Only the apps you can do so, unless they are OEM specific and are only made for 4.4.2.
actually I didn't fail to mention anything...i did a full normal full wipe of 4.4.2 after I Odin flashed it, rooted and Odin flashed recovery then a normal full restore of 4.2.2 system apps kernel the whole deal.....even my custom kernel restored back fine dude just as I said with zero issues...and to be clear I never once mentioned 4.1 did I? You said 4.1 stop putting words in my mouth....if there had been issues I would've mentioned it...all my apps and root were in tact and those I greenified were still hibernating, even my Wanam them came back dude.....my 4.2.2 rom and apps restored flawlessly so I'd appreciate you not put words in my mouth again thanks

Mega

Dude your apps have nothing to do with anything...all apps that you had on 4.4 get wiped if you do a proper wipe then your 4.2 apps restore with the rest of the system and data apps partition if you backed them up so maybe if you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't be trying to call me out mistakenly

Mattix724
Old
Thanks Meter 2,514
Whoa whoa whoa children please stop where you are right now. Let me clarify some things...

Yes, you can restore 4.2.2 using Odin to flash the stock tar file.
No, the bootloader WILL NOT be rolled back, once you have a Knox bootloader there is no going back unless you have the equipment and resources to basically JTAG your device to perform a NAND flash of the original bootloader to the device's eMMC controller. This will wipe your entire eMMC which is your internal storage so you will lose everything.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

You should really look up Adam Outler if you have not heard of him here on XDA and you are not familiar with his work, he can teach you a lot about many devices and how to "hack" them.

megalomanic14
Old
(Last edited by megalomanic14; 8th June 2014 at 08:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattix724 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa children please stop where you are right now. Let me clarify some things...

No, the bootloader WILL NOT be rolled back, once you have a Knox bootloader there is no going back unless you have the equipment and resources to basically JTAG your device to perform a NAND flash of the original bootloader to the device's eMMC controller. This will wipe your entire eMMC which is your internal storage so you will lose everything.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

You should really look up Adam Outler if you have not heard of him here on XDA and you are not familiar with his work, he can teach you a lot about many devices and how to "hack" them.

Sorry grandpa lol

Thanks I appreciate it but I'm moderately familiar... I have builds out for the note 3, note 12.2 pro, galaxy mega, tab 8.4 and (galaxy gear but only for myself and some friend) all currently...and have my personal other note 1, note 2, note 8, and note 10.1 2012 roms across their respective base builds that I still occasionally get out and build for....anyway i actually only did a simple restore of my stock 4.2.2 cwm backup just like every other time as noted above in my previous posts...a simple clean wipe, clear dalvik and cache, restore 4.2 with civz kernel just like normal after I Odin flashed the 4.4 stock rom, flashed recovery and rooted it and made a backup of kk then restored 4.2 backup and it restored perfectly ...i only tried it knowing I could Odin flash 4.4 again worst case scenario... and my note 8 collects dust anyway... so so after the successful restore I made the post for anyone who may be interestd cheers

Mega

Mattix724
Old
Thanks Meter 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomanic14 View Post
Sorry grandpa lol

Thanks I appreciate it but I'm moderately familiar... I have builds out for the note 3, note 12.2 pro, galaxy mega, tab 8.4 and (galaxy gear but only for myself and some friend) all currently...and have my personal other note 1, note 2, note 8, and note 10.1 2012 roms across their respective base builds that I still occasionally get out and build for....anyway i actually only did a simple restore of my stock 4.2.2 cwm backup just like every other time as noted above in my previous posts...a simple clean wipe, clear dalvik and cache, restore 4.2 with civz kernel just like normal after I Odin flashed the 4.4 stock rom, flashed recovery and rooted it and made a backup of kk then restored 4.2 backup and it restored perfectly ...i only tried it knowing I could Odin flash 4.4 again worst case scenario... and my note 8 collects dust anyway... so so after the successful restore I made the post for anyone who may be interestd cheers

Mega
Haha, I'm not old. I'm only turning 24 next month. I am however pretty old for my rank in the army. I only joined last October and I finally just got promoted from Pvt to Pv2 today.

megalomanic14
Old
(Last edited by megalomanic14; 9th June 2014 at 05:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2,691
Quote:
Haha, I'm not old. I'm only turning 24 next month. I am however pretty old for my rank in the army. I only joined last October and I finally just got promoted from Pvt to Pv2 today.

Oh thats really cool man...a couple really cool dudes on my note 3 rom are in the army...ones is an mp...congratulations dude

Mega

My buddy kalz (army sargent) also says congratulations on the promo dude

Imacatlover
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:

Just to confirm, downgrading to 4.2.2 via pc odin is still possible without any ill effects other than the knox flag being tripped permanently?
and this would be with the stock 4.2.2 rom package from sammobile, no editing, decompiling or any of the sorts???

Mattix724
Old
Thanks Meter 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacatlover View Post
Just to confirm, downgrading to 4.2.2 via pc odin is still possible without any ill effects other than the knox flag being tripped permanently?
and this would be with the stock 4.2.2 rom package from sammobile, no editing, decompiling or any of the sorts???
You can definitely flash the stock 4.2.2 tar file using Odin 3.07 without any problems. I suggest wiping data and cache first.

You should also be able to flash any custom ROM using a custom recovery such as PhilZ CWM and perform a restoration of any backup without any problems other than Knox counter being tripped.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattix724 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Imacatlover
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
You can definitely flash the stock 4.2.2 tar file using Odin 3.07 without any problems. I suggest wiping data and cache first.

You should also be able to flash any custom ROM using a custom recovery such as PhilZ CWM and perform a restoration of any backup without any problems other than Knox counter being tripped.

My my, thanks for the info kind sir