Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,780 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Order of Operations for New Firmware, Modem, and ROM

Tip us?
 
NoLaw
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default [Q] Order of Operations for New Firmware, Modem, and ROM

Hello everyone. I have been away from the Android scene for awhile, and I am looking to make some changes to my VZW SGIII. I want to make sure that my current plan for upgrading makes sense and I was hoping someone here could help. Here are my current settings:

ROOTED, BOOTLOADER Unlocked, CWM installed
Android 4.2.2
Kernal: 3.4.53 Cyanogenmod
Baseband: I535VRLHE
Liquid Smooth v2.9


I would like to update my Modem, since my current option has absolutely terrible reception. According to what I have read, it seems that the best Modem option is MF1 firmware than do a ML1 Baseband update.

[Q1] Does this have to be performed with ODIN, or can I do this through CWM?

The other thing I would like to do is to update to KitKat. I have found a ROM I think I will like, C-RoM v6.5. The instructions from their thread:

"WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition + Format System)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard
Select Rom Zip And Flash, then select GAPPS of choice (doesnt have to be from below, im using PA GAPPS myself...) And Flash
Reboot And Enjoy..."

[Q2] What is the best order of operations in order to ultimately end up with MF1 w/ ML1 modem and C-RoM 6.5?

Should I do all the modem updates first and then flash ROM? Thanks!
 
NoLaw
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaw View Post
Hello everyone. I have been away from the Android scene for awhile, and I am looking to make some changes to my VZW SGIII. I want to make sure that my current plan for upgrading makes sense and I was hoping someone here could help. Here are my current settings:

ROOTED, BOOTLOADER Unlocked, CWM installed
Android 4.2.2
Kernal: 3.4.53 Cyanogenmod
Baseband: I535VRLHE
Liquid Smooth v2.9


I would like to update my Modem, since my current option has absolutely terrible reception. According to what I have read, it seems that the best Modem option is MF1 firmware than do a ML1 Baseband update.

[Q1] Does this have to be performed with ODIN, or can I do this through CWM?

The other thing I would like to do is to update to KitKat. I have found a ROM I think I will like, C-RoM v6.5. The instructions from their thread:

"WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition + Format System)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard
Select Rom Zip And Flash, then select GAPPS of choice (doesnt have to be from below, im using PA GAPPS myself...) And Flash
Reboot And Enjoy..."

[Q2] What is the best order of operations in order to ultimately end up with MF1 w/ ML1 modem and C-RoM 6.5?

Should I do all the modem updates first and then flash ROM? Thanks!
In addition, I would also like to update my Kernal. Any suggestions as to where in this process I should update the Kernal (I would think at the end)? Also trying to decide between leankernal and KT747, anyone care to offer their experiences as far as stability, etc.?
 
Sandman-007
Old
#3  
Sandman-007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 613
Posts: 1,488
Join Date: Sep 2012
You seem to have the right idea. All this can be install in recovery. Odin is not needed

You must update your recovery to the latest version. This is NOT Optional!

1. Wipe System & Data
1b. Flash MF1 firmware
1c. Flash ML1 modem
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash kernel (if you using something like KT747)
4. FLASH Gaaps
5. any addons
6. Reboot (if unstable reboot a 2nd time)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP
 
NoLaw
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
You seem to have the right idea. All this can be install in recovery. Odin is not needed

You must update your recovery to the latest version. This is NOT Optional!

1. Wipe System & Data
1b. Flash MF1 firmware
1c. Flash ML1 modem
2. Flash ROM
3. Flash kernel (if you using something like KT747)
4. FLASH Gaaps
5. any addons
6. Reboot (if unstable reboot a 2nd time)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Thank you. Which recovery should I update to first?
 
Sandman-007
Old
#5  
Sandman-007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 613
Posts: 1,488
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaw View Post
Thank you. Which recovery should I update to first?
It's up to you. You only use one recovery. If you like TWRP then just go grab the latest version and stick to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP
 
NoLaw
Old
(Last edited by NoLaw; 14th May 2014 at 06:14 PM.)
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
It's up to you. You only use one recovery. If you like TWRP then just go grab the latest version and stick to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
EDIT: Found a zip file of CWM. Sorry! Thanks again!
 
jeremy702
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Duke City
Quick note, some people have been having problems with the ML/MF combo in that more then one text message can't be sent at a time. If you get one, you can send one, but only one. Some people have gone back back to MB1 modem/firmware for SMS support.

Just a heads up..
 
NoLaw
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy702 View Post
Quick note, some people have been having problems with the ML/MF combo in that more then one text message can't be sent at a time. If you get one, you can send one, but only one. Some people have gone back back to MB1 modem/firmware for SMS support.

Just a heads up..
I dont understand, what is the problem exactly?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Samsung Gear Live Stock Firmware Image Pulled, Temp Root

Just yesterday,XDA Recognized Developer and TV ProducerAdamOutlertore apart … more

Draw a Line and Let Your Device Do the Rest with LineitApp

Over the years, since evenbefore Android entered the scene, we have striven to … more

[APK] Chrome Beta 37 Brings First Traces of Material Design

With Android L on the horizon, it’s no surprise that Google’s … more

Immersive Mode on Unrooted Devices with GMD Full Screen Immersive Mode

Everyone likes screen real estate–no question about that. The … more