Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,191 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] [FAT32] [EXT2] [2.3+] How to Partition your Android MicroSD Card

Tip us?

fathertomany
Old
(Last edited by fathertomany; 7th December 2013 at 04:40 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE] [FAT32] [EXT2] [2.3+] How to Partition your Android MicroSD Card

[GUIDE] [FAT32] [EXT2] [any android] How to Partition your Android MicroSD Card

NOTE: Im not responsible if you brick your phone, be very careful.

Requirements:

- A Smartphone
- Root
- Busybox
- Android
- A FORMATTED 2GB MicroSD Card or Higher
- The MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free)
- Link2SD

Step 1: Partition your MicroSD Card

Note: To make this post, I will use a 16 GB card as an example. You can use any size you prefer.

First: Connect your MicroSD with the adapter to your computer and open the MiniTool Partition Wizard.

You can see the principal partition of you memory card. Right Click on it and Choose Delete.
Insure that you select your memory card and NOT your hard drive!!!!!

Next: right click on your memory card and click "Create". Choose the size you want for External Memory. Remember to leave the amount that you want to use for Internal Memory FREE then click OK.

Next, click on the Unallocated space; click yes to create a new partition. WARNING! USE EXT2 NOT EXT4!!!. Click OK .

Now click OK then click apply (TOP-LEFT CORNER)

Wait for the action finish.

When finished: disconnect your MicroSD Card and follow step 2 on your phone.

Step 2: Setting Up Your Phone: Link2SD

Now, proceed to configure the EXT2 partition for apps partition (INTERNAL MEMORY) on your phone.

First Install Link2SD on your phone.

Shut down your Phone and put the partitioned MicroSD card in your phone. Now Start your Phone and open "Link2SD", and give Root Permissions. Select ext2, wait while script is created then reboot your phone.

WARNING! USE EXT2 NOT EXT4!!!

Note: If you have Link2SD already installed, you will need to clear cache and data.
Settings>Applications>Manage Apps>click Link2SD
Select clear CACHE and then select clear DATA.

WARNING! USE EXT2 NOT EXT4!!!

Select OK AND REBOOT AT THIS POINT.

After rebooting: open Link2SD and go to Settings, and choose these parameters below:

Now, when your install an app, it will automatically be moved to the EXT2 partition. Remember, when you want to install an app and want to have it in your phone memory, uncheck "Auto Link" in Link2SD Settings, then install the Application. Afterwards, recheck "Auto Link". With Link2SD you can install, uninstall, Link and remove links of your apps. You can also do a few other things that are described in the apps description on the Play Store.
Click THANKS!!!!
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to fathertomany For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fathertomany
Old
(Last edited by fathertomany; 20th April 2013 at 12:19 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Is this working for any one? It worked great for me.

Would greatly appreciate at least a couple people tell me if they have tried it or not. I did my sons concord this way.

Sent from my LIQUIDMOOTH Speed T989
Click THANKS!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fathertomany For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gocougars
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Smile internal Memory space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertomany View Post
Is this working for any one? It worked great for me.

Would greatly appreciate at least a couple people tell me if they have tried it or not. I did my sons concord this way.

This worked great, I am now able to install many more apps on a T-Mobile concord android phone. I do have a question, even though I am able to install many more apps, I still see the internal memory space getting lower and lower, does that mean that every app I install, it will still require some space in the internal memory? do I always need to move the apps to sd card in order to save internal memory space? is there a way to move all the app into the external space partition? Again thank you so much for putting this information together, I can now use T-Mobile concord phone with many more apps as I used to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gocougars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fathertomany
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocougars View Post
This worked great, I am now able to install many more apps on a T-Mobile concord android phone. I do have a question, even though I am able to install many more apps, I still see the internal memory space getting lower and lower, does that mean that every app I install, it will still require some space in the internal memory? do I always need to move the apps to sd card in order to save internal memory space? is there a way to move all the app into the external space partition? Again thank you so much for putting this information together, I can now use T-Mobile concord phone with many more apps as I used to.
If you partitioned the SD card and inserted it in the phone BEFORE you installed link2SD and followed ALL of the instructions, step by step, then a very small amount of space is stored on the actual internal memory.
FYI - You can uninstall all of the T-Mobile apps. My account, TV, the Samsung account thing, layer?, etc... DO NOT uninstall anything google or Android. E.G GMAIL, CALENDERS, or anything else that you are unsure of.

Click THANKS!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fathertomany For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oloung1
Old
(Last edited by oloung1; 23rd April 2013 at 04:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocougars View Post
fathertomany's photobucket pics aren't showing up for me on 2 pcs and 2 mobile phones.
make sure your settings are on your downloaded apps show "Linked -> SD Card" not "on SD Card".
take a look at this FAQ for more info: search or google link2sd.info/faq for more info

btw-make sure both partitions are listed as "primary" not "virtual".

fathertomany, thanks again for spearheading these mods! hope your phone gets fixed

edit: turns out the pics above, as well as many other sites are being banned by my ip...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oloung1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fathertomany
Old
(Last edited by fathertomany; 23rd April 2013 at 05:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Phone went for warranty. They are on back order. Too many people own the phone lol

Click THANKS!!!!

fathertomany
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
We need everyone to head over to this thread and ask for them to add a forum for the T-Mobile Concord:

New Device Request Forum
Click THANKS!!!!

fathertomany
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertomany View Post
Phone went for warranty. They are on back order. Too many people own the phone lol

I have received my new phone!! yay!! now I can be of more assistance.

BTW - My new phone is:

Android version: 2.3.7
Kernel: 2.6.35.7+
Build Number: V768V1.0.0B19
It was already factory when I rooted.
I had to use SUPERSU. SUPERUSER installed and granted permissions but would not update the binary. it would fail on checking to see if superuser worked.
Click THANKS!!!!

iNeedICS
Old
Thanks Meter 249

DONATE TO ME
after i partition it can i put it back to normal? if i change phones or whatever
JESUS LOVES YOU BRO!

fathertomany
Old
(Last edited by fathertomany; 21st May 2013 at 10:04 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186

DONATE TO ME
Yes. Just repartition the entire card to fat/fat32 after deleting both partitions, with the mini partition tool.

Click THANKS!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fathertomany For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]