Review of Xgear Exo skin...

Search This thread

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
Finally got home after being on duty for the last four days and found my skin waiting for me in the mailbox. started smiling like a school kid and went inside to see about putting it on. I must say I think this is the first time I have put anything on that is a dry installation. I was wondering how the install liquid would work on the back of the phone... Yea... Perhaps I should do more research huh? :)

Any way installation was a breeze. I had to lift it to re align it once as I was off just a touch, but the 3M material lifted clean and re-stuck with no issues. One thing I would note, once you align the camera, IR lens and flash cutouts, check the spacing around them VERY CLOSELY! I didn't know at the time but I was still just a touch off. it is really hard to see that I was off, but once I got the edges heated and pressed down and the corners formed to my device on two corners the material was right at the edge and I could tell that over time with me constantly inserting and removing from my pockets like I always do the material would start getting peeled back and eventually need to be removed. My solution was simply to gently trim with a razor. again this was due to MY install issue and not a problem with the skin.

I was wondering how the rounded corners were going to stick, and with a few seconds of warming with my wife's hair dryer, and a little gentle persuasion with my palm all the corners stuck nice and smoothly.

At first I wasn't going to install the two small front pieces, but so that I could review for the OP I decided I would. Again, just a simple matter of aligning and gently pressing down and all the cutouts lined right up and you would think this was installed by someone who knew what they were doing! I normally don't like screen protectors around the ear piece cutouts because the inner edges of the cutouts tend to be sharp and slightly rough against my ear, but I will leave the pieces on for at least a week to see how the feel.

Overall the quality of the skin and the ease and accuracy of install is way better than I was expecting. I am definitely impressed with the initial fit and finish of it. i will post back after a week of wearing it to post my opinion of how it is holding up.

Ok, here are some pics...

Overall shot of the back...

Here are shots of all the cutouts. Notice how exact they are. Little attention to detail needed for install, but once they are lined up they look GREAT!

Close up of the back cutouts... If you look at the IR lens and the left side of the camera cut out you can see that I am off with my alignment. I didn't notice until I had about 90% of the skin pressed down and just decided to live with my mistake.

And the bottom cutouts...

Top cutouts...

Speaker cutout...

Side view. Notice how close to the screen edge of the phone the skin goes to.

Here is my one boo-boo on install. Notice the slight rough edge on the side piece just below the face piece? that is where I trimmed just a bit off. it isn't noticeable on the phone, and again it was MY fault...

Here are a couple of the corners. they were easy to smooth out and make look good.

Cutouts for the ear piece, front camera, sensor, and what ever that little dot is... Microphone??

All in all, I really like the skin, and since it is cut from the 3M material I can only assume it will last. I just want to see how long the edges stick and look good with my use. I tend to be hard on them...

I also want to thank the company for doing this and going above and way beyond.

Here is a LINK to where you too can purchase these skins. (thanks for the reminder about this Sweets55)

Last edited:
Reactions: pmoradi2002

schollianmj

Feb 27, 2009
well sweets, that would have made sense to put a link there... I couldnt remember about the front LED, you really expect me to remember to include a link to the product? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally got home after being on duty for the last four days and found my skin waiting for me in the mailbox. started smiling like a school kid and went inside to see about putting it on. I must say I think this is the first time I have put anything on that is a dry installation. I was wondering how the install liquid would work on the back of the phone... Yea... Perhaps I should do more research huh? :)

Any way installation was a breeze. I had to lift it to re align it once as I was off just a touch, but the 3M material lifted clean and re-stuck with no issues. One thing I would note, once you align the camera, IR lens and flash cutouts, check the spacing around them VERY CLOSELY! I didn't know at the time but I was still just a touch off. it is really hard to see that I was off, but once I got the edges heated and pressed down and the corners formed to my device on two corners the material was right at the edge and I could tell that over time with me constantly inserting and removing from my pockets like I always do the material would start getting peeled back and eventually need to be removed. My solution was simply to gently trim with a razor. again this was due to MY install issue and not a problem with the skin.

I was wondering how the rounded corners were going to stick, and with a few seconds of warming with my wife's hair dryer, and a little gentle persuasion with my palm all the corners stuck nice and smoothly.

At first I wasn't going to install the two small front pieces, but so that I could review for the OP I decided I would. Again, just a simple matter of aligning and gently pressing down and all the cutouts lined right up and you would think this was installed by someone who knew what they were doing! I normally don't like screen protectors around the ear piece cutouts because the inner edges of the cutouts tend to be sharp and slightly rough against my ear, but I will leave the pieces on for at least a week to see how the feel.

Overall the quality of the skin and the ease and accuracy of install is way better than I was expecting. I am definitely impressed with the initial fit and finish of it. i will post back after a week of wearing it to post my opinion of how it is holding up.

Ok, here are some pics...

Overall shot of the back...

Here are shots of all the cutouts. Notice how exact they are. Little attention to detail needed for install, but once they are lined up they look GREAT!

Close up of the back cutouts... If you look at the IR lens and the left side of the camera cut out you can see that I am off with my alignment. I didn't notice until I had about 90% of the skin pressed down and just decided to live with my mistake.

And the bottom cutouts...

Top cutouts...

Speaker cutout...

Side view. Notice how close to the screen edge of the phone the skin goes to.

Here is my one boo-boo on install. Notice the slight rough edge on the side piece just below the face piece? that is where I trimmed just a bit off. it isn't noticeable on the phone, and again it was MY fault...

Here are a couple of the corners. they were easy to smooth out and make look good.

Cutouts for the ear piece, front camera, sensor, and what ever that little dot is... Microphone??

All in all, I really like the skin, and since it is cut from the 3M material I can only assume it will last. I just want to see how long the edges stick and look good with my use. I tend to be hard on them...

I also want to thank the company for doing this and going above and way beyond.

Here is a LINK to where you too can purchase these skins. (thanks for the reminder about this Sweets55)