Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,637 Members 39,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The best car mount for Galaxy S5 - still Arkon Mobile Grip 2

Tip us?

vectron
Old
(Last edited by vectron; 27th April 2014 at 02:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1973
Default The best car mount for Galaxy S5 - still Arkon Mobile Grip 2

As most of you know, I write hundreds of various reviews in General Accessories section of our forum/community (check out the link in my signature), so I typically being asked questions about what I found to be the best for a specific phone model or specific functionality. One question that always comes up, especially in PMs, what is the best car mount for a specific phone X or Y. I personally believe that car mount should be universal to use with any phone and any case, and with full access to all the ports, and mount option to work on a windshield or a dashboard.

With over a dozen of car mounts I reviewed recently, I have to admit Arkon Mobile Grip 2 (http://www.arkon.com/mobile-grip/) is still my top choice, currently for $19.95 including shipping on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Windshie...dp/B00I58VAZS/). Though I have reviewed it already with my Note 2 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2648852), some ask me how does it look with S5. Now after getting Galaxy S5, I've been using MG2 in my wife's Highlander and still find it to be the best car mount for the phone.

It's sticky suction base mount adhesive is as strong as a cement attached to any glass or textured dashboard; works even on a slightly curved surface. The removal is clean and doesn't leave any residue, plus it's re-usable - just rinse under a water if it starts to loose it's sticky grip. The mount arm accommodates different angles with an easy adjustment, and universal ball joint allows full 360 degree rotation. The spring loaded grip is very secure and easy to operate with one hand, and it's minimalistic design keeps the back of S5 open to use even as dashcam. Obviously, there is full access to all the ports for charging, headphone/audio cable, and power/volume buttons. As a bonus, MG2 also has a screw mount for universal camera tripod attachment (love it!). Also important to note that it comes with 2-year warranty, and from my experience Arkon guys stand behind their product to take care of you even after warranty expires.

Since I know pictures worth a thousand words, here you go for your enjoyment (with more pictures you can find in my Note 2/MG2 review above).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vectron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Acaibowl
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Air dock is the best.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Acaibowl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaibowl View Post
Air dock is the best.

Never heard of it, do you have a link?

Acaibowl
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
Never heard of it, do you have a link?
http://www.theairdock.com

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1973
Quote:
http://www.theairdock.com

IGG/Crowdfunding campaign that promises to deliver next month while you can pre-order now for $70 a sticky pad with wireless charging to be used with a naked phone or thin smooth surface case and using very cheap basic suction cup base? If you would suggest as an alternative to Arkon (these guys been around for 25 years) something else reputable like iOttie or iBolt, that would be a different story. But I really fail to see how it's the best car mount

Acaibowl
Old
(Last edited by Acaibowl; 27th April 2014 at 05:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Ford had been around for a 100 years and still making ****y cars. I honestly don't think Arkon is better for me.

You have to agree that microsuction surface is way cooler than brackets.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

The Air Dock Wireless Qi Charger for Android & iPů: http://youtu.be/gGwDbZGq_-c

The Following User Says Thank You to Acaibowl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1973
Quote:
Ford had been around for a 100 years and still making ****y cars. I honestly don't think Arkon is better for me.

You have to agree that microsuction surface is way cooler than brackets.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

The Air Dock Wireless Qi Charger for Android & iPů: http://youtu.be/gGwDbZGq_-c

Are you Armando who reviewed it in the video?

Regarding companies and how long they been around, I didn't mean it in a way that it justifies the quality, although I can speak from a hand's on experience since I tested and compared a lot of car mounts where Arkon quality is at the top. The same way I can tell you that after reviewing hundreds of cases, UAG is at the top, or after reviewing a ton of external battery packs - nothing beats Anker. But I do have a problem with crowdfunding projects. It was "cool" back in 2012 and maybe first half of 2013. A lot of them don't live up to their promises. I trust companies that been around for awhile and actually generate sales now, rather then with promises to deliver something in the future. To stay alive in such a competitive market, you gotta be doing something right. Don't have any bad wishes for Air Dock guys, but I have a good feeling they are not going to be around for too long after they will fulfill IGG orders.

One thing I do agree, there is no universal car mount or a gadget that works the same for everybody. YMMV, and this might not be for you. So, I'm glad we have a lot of different choices. Arkon MG2 works for me after testing, reviewing, and sharing on XDA about other car mounts. Something else works better for you, and I'm glad we can have a discussion about it The sticky surface mounts never took off, remember Clingo? It was sold "as seen on TV" type of deals. I have a phone case that doesn't have a flat surface and it will not stick well to it, and I would NEVER trust my $650 phone on a sticky pad going over bumps or NJ potholes or off-road

Acaibowl
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron View Post
Are you Armando who reviewed it in the video?

Regarding companies and how long they been around, I didn't mean it in a way that it justifies the quality, although I can speak from a hand's on experience since I tested and compared a lot of car mounts where Arkon quality is at the top. The same way I can tell you that after reviewing hundreds of cases, UAG is at the top, or after reviewing a ton of external battery packs - nothing beats Anker. But I do have a problem with crowdfunding projects. It was "cool" back in 2012 and maybe first half of 2013. A lot of them don't live up to their promises. I trust companies that been around for awhile and actually generate sales now, rather then with promises to deliver something in the future. To stay alive in such a competitive market, you gotta be doing something right. Don't have any bad wishes for Air Dock guys, but I have a good feeling they are not going to be around for too long after they will fulfill IGG orders.

One thing I do agree, there is no universal car mount or a gadget that works the same for everybody. YMMV, and this might not be for you. So, I'm glad we have a lot of different choices. Arkon MG2 works for me after testing, reviewing, and sharing on XDA about other car mounts. Something else works better for you, and I'm glad we can have a discussion about it The sticky surface mounts never took off, remember Clingo? It was sold "as seen on TV" type of deals. I have a phone case that doesn't have a flat surface and it will not stick well to it, and I would NEVER trust my $650 phone on a sticky pad going over bumps or NJ potholes or off-road
No, I am not Armando.

Arkon didn't impress me. A car mount has to have a lot more to impress me. A car mount that just holds a phone is not enough for today's expectations.

Airdock looks great but I agree with you when it comes to crowdfunding projects. It has to be more tested with different smartphones.

Another company that I like is ProClip. I would get a car mount like this for my Note 3. (Charging cable permanently attached to holder
)

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hold..._leftorright=0

jlgreen531
Old
Thanks Meter 1
How steady is the mount? I ordered this one to use my S4 in as a dashcam/media player. The thing bounces around a lot, so the video looks like it was shot by someone with Parkinsons.

vectron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgreen531 View Post
How steady is the mount? I ordered this one to use my S4 in as a dashcam/media player. The thing bounces around a lot, so the video looks like it was shot by someone with Parkinsons.
It's relatively steady as long as you tighten the mounting arm screw securely and don't have your smartphone with Zerolemon triple-capacity extended battery for additional weight, but you gotta keep in mind that your car vibration will transfer to the phone/camera. Perhaps S5 has a better camera, gotta check to see if it has anti-shake feature or something like that. With dashcam, doesn't matter which commercial car mount you use, you probably going to end up with "GoPro" effect lol!!! I wonder if they make some dash mount shock absorption beanie bags bases.