Review: Nite Ize Steelie Car Mount

OP Eris _2.1_2010

18th May 2014, 11:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Logansport, IN
Thanks Meter: 406

2,092 posts
More
Just picked this up today at a local farm store (Rural King) for $14.91. I'm Pretty shocked I found it this cheap, since its retailing for $34.99 on NiteIze's website. https://www.niteize.com/product/Stee...-Mount-Kit.asp. It comes with an alcohol swipe, for prepping the area you'll be sticking Steelie too. There's also a 3M primer stick for when applying onto a soft, vinyl, rubber, or textured surface.

I like how it's a ultra minimal car mount and can be placed just about anywhere with its 3M VHB foam adhesive. I've got the magnetic metal backplate attached to my Speck case, which will hold my phone during travel. I've attached some pics and will update how this mount handles in my large car. If it performs good here it'll work in probly any situation. Also it'll stick to almost any metal surface, like my refrigerator lol. I stuck my phone to a metal picnic table and the neodymium magnet is strong enough to to move/wiggle the table before it lets go.

Update: 5/19 After 314 miles of bouncing around, I can say this is a very solid car mount.

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away
Last edited by Eris _2.1_2010; 20th May 2014 at 03:58 AM.
19th May 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

50 posts
How was the backplate attached on your case?
Like, is it removable?
The Following User Says Thank You to justanotherasian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Logansport, IN

2,092 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherasian

How was the backplate attached on your case?
Like, is it removable?

It's attached with the adhesive foam tape. Personally I've removed it to get it more towards the center of my case and have had no issues. I would think if the adhesive wore out you could get the 3M double sided 11 psi tape and repair it that way. Also there is replacements sold on the website.

Last edited by Eris _2.1_2010; 19th May 2014 at 07:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eris _2.1_2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #4  

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris _2.1_2010

It's attached with the adhesive foam tape. Personally I've removed it to get it more towards the center of my case and have had no issues. I would think if the adhesive wore out you could get the 3M double sided 11 psi double sided tape and repair it that way. Also there is replacements sold on the website.

So it's just stuck on with tape, meaning i would have to remove the phone from the case if i didn't want a case with extra thickness?
19th May 2014, 05:49 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Logansport, IN

2,092 posts
More
Quote:

So it's just stuck on with tape, meaning i would have to remove the phone from the case if i didn't want a case with extra thickness?

Yes. I chose to stick it to my case since this Speck case scuffs up easily. I'll be getting another case that I'll use outside my truck. I have no problem swapping cases when I get ready to drive or get out of my truck. Also I don't really mind it on my Speck case currently since it provides a little lift and makes the speaker sound better. I don't notice the back plate either in my pocket.

Last edited by Eris _2.1_2010; 19th May 2014 at 05:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eris _2.1_2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 05:58 AM   |  #6  

50 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris _2.1_2010

Yes. I chose to stick it to my case since this Speck case scuffs up easily. I'll be getting another case that I'll use outside my truck. I have no problem swapping cases when I get ready to drive or get out of my truck. Also I don't really mind it on my Speck case currently since it provides a little lift and makes the speaker sound better. I don't notice the back plate either in my pocket.

Well then, this sounds like something I might want now... You've got me convinced. Haha

Except now I have to find where it's sold for $15. It's crazy expensive online.......
The Following User Says Thank You to justanotherasian For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th May 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Logansport, IN

2,092 posts
More
Quote:

Well then, this sounds like something I might want now... You've got me convinced. Haha

Except now I have to find where it's sold for $15. It's crazy expensive online.......

I was completely shocked when I found it in a farm store lol

27th May 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #8  
Flag PDX
Thanks Meter: 95

383 posts
More
Nice Freightliner

TA4S on my Galaxy S5
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckin'Ain't4Sissies For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 07:33 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Logansport, IN

2,092 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin'Ain't4Sissies

Nice Freightliner

TA4S on my Galaxy S5

Good ole freight shaker lol