Post Reply

Maxx vs Moto X.

11th May 2014, 01:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,501 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Moto has offered a warranty replacement of a Maxx for my X. I know the boot sound will bother me a lot. But I thought I would ask If others may have made the same swap. I do wear an xl glove so the size increase is OK.
Are slip-proof rubber cases & screen protectors hard to get?
Last edited by aviwdoowks; 11th May 2014 at 02:55 AM.
11th May 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
I've plated around with both and although I don't care for the droid branding....I loved the battery life... I'm actually waiting for an X swap for a maxx myself right now. I'm just bummed neither one I am able to root so far

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
11th May 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #3  
aarongillion63's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110
 
231 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

Moto has offered a warranty replacement of a Maxx for my X. I know the boot sound will bother me a lot. But I thought I would ask If others may have made the same swap. I do wear an xl glove so the size increase is OK.
Are slip-proof rubber cases & screen protectors hard to get?

RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc). I would recommend the Maxx, and AFAIK there are a good amount of accessories for it. You can remove the boot sound after you root by deleting /system/media/audio/startup.ogg or the similar, you will find it in one of the sub-folders. It will be an ogg file. If you choose not to root you can still remove it by creating a flashable update.zip to remove that one file (false signed with toolkit to pass md5 check). Hope this gives some insight,

--
Say thanks if I was of help!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongillion63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 03:42 AM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Not the razr maxx..the new Droid Maxx

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
11th May 2014, 04:24 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,501 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63

RAZR Maxx has definitely got its niche: battery. You can also root the Maxx, I have no idea what the other guy is talking about, Google it there are tons of root methods (PC, one-click etc). I would recommend the Maxx, and AFAIK there are a good amount of accessories for it. You can remove the boot sound after you root by deleting /system/media/audio/startup.ogg or the similar, you will find it in one of the sub-folders. It will be an ogg file. If you choose not to root you can still remove it by creating a flashable update.zip to remove that one file (false signed with toolkit to pass md5 check). Hope this gives some insight,

--
Say thanks if I was of help!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Free mobile app

Root on 422 but not 44.
11th May 2014, 04:29 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,501 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
@aarongillion63
More on the diy update.zip please? Details?
Seems it would come with the latest 4.4 so I would have no root.
11th May 2014, 04:42 AM   |  #7  
aarongillion63's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110
 
231 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

@aarongillion63
More on the diy update.zip please? Details?
Seems it would come with the latest 4.4 so I would have no root.

Yes this method is not very published, but you can do a lot of root things with it without actually having root. My main purpose to create these was to push ad-blocking hosts files to peer's devices without having to root them. Basically, you must have the know-how knowledge on how to code updater scripts, I will not go into detail on this as there are guides.. But once you have your package lined up, you're all set to go to flash it, if you have cwm installed. Without root, you have no cwm. So that's where I learned how to fake sign those update.zips to flash thru stock. Just get signtool or better yet there's more reliable ones getting out there just Google search "update.zip signer" and before you know it you can mod all you want without even having root. One thing to note is that your bootloader must not have any signature checking on main /system partition or whatever you're modding.

Hope this helps,

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to aarongillion63 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,501 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63

One thing to note is that your bootloader must not have any signature checking on main /system partition or whatever you're modding.

Do the latest moto's qualify?
11th May 2014, 05:28 AM   |  #9  
aarongillion63's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Grand Rapids MI
Thanks Meter: 110
 
231 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

Do the latest moto's qualify?

After some research, I think so yes. Check out this article: the OP states that the KitKat zip can be flashed regardless of locked bootloader. So now as long as you can fake-sign your own zips you can mod all you want. Sometimes (a lot of times) the signing doesn't work right (and you'll read that a lot of places) but that won't hurt your device, the recovery will simply deny your update until you get it right.

Edit: I am not sure if this goes for *latest* moto's, as you put emphasis on in your post.

Whoops forgot to put in the article: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2577977

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by aarongillion63; 11th May 2014 at 05:34 AM.
11th May 2014, 05:35 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,501 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongillion63

After some research, I think so yes. Check out this article: the OP states that the KitKat zip can be flashed regardless of locked bootloader. So now as long as you can fake-sign your own zips you can mod all you want. Sometimes (a lot of times) the signing doesn't work right (and you'll read that a lot of places) but that won't hurt your device, the recovery will simply deny your update until you get it right.

Edit: I am not sure if this goes for *latest* moto's, as you put emphasis on in your post.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Did you mean to leave a link?
Many of us X/Ultras would love such an opportunity.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes