Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,531 Members 51,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia play Gingerbread to Jellybean/Kitkat

Tip us?

Grover2000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Xperia play Gingerbread to Jellybean/Kitkat

Hi can anyone advise what the problem could be?

I have been trying to upgrade my Xperia play from Gingerbread to Jellybean and failed,

My handset is Bootloader unlock Status = No, although O2 unlocked the carrier so I could use any carrier.
So when I goto Sony bootloader unlock site the phone will not goto fastboot mode. Just says Waiting

When I open Fashtool I have successfully rooted the phone, but when I try to Flash the phone rather than go into Fastboot mode the just restarts.

I am using Windows 7 64bit.

Any help on getting this done is greatly appreciated

Grover

ryanperez
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Umm I think only the simlock has been removed. But the bootloader is still locked and cannot be unlocked. and what button are you pressing to go into flashboot?

Grover2000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanperez View Post
Umm I think only the simlock has been removed. But the bootloader is still locked and cannot be unlocked. and what button are you pressing to go into flashboot?
I have used search button whilst plugining in USB.

Does that mean bootloader is locked, so impossible to unlock?

The sticker on the back of the phone is W46. Read somewhere that using Flashtool may damage the phone.

Thanks in advance

Grover

TheScriptKitty
Old
Thanks Meter 98

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover2000 View Post
Hi can anyone advise what the problem could be?

I have been trying to upgrade my Xperia play from Gingerbread to Jellybean and failed,

My handset is Bootloader unlock Status = No, although O2 unlocked the carrier so I could use any carrier.
So when I goto Sony bootloader unlock site the phone will not goto fastboot mode. Just says Waiting

When I open Fashtool I have successfully rooted the phone, but when I try to Flash the phone rather than go into Fastboot mode the just restarts.

I am using Windows 7 64bit.

Any help on getting this done is greatly appreciated

Grover
SIM Unlocking the phone inst the same as Unlocking the Bootloader. If you Have Bootloader unlock Status = No you can still unlock your Bootloader via the Test Point method.

If you Unlock your phone with the Test Point method you will not have acces to Fastboot Mode, but you can still Flash Kernels via Flash Mode Using the FTF version of it(insted of a boot.img file).
Look in my signature if you want any FTF kernel.

korrectmethod
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScriptKitty View Post
SIM Unlocking the phone inst the same as Unlocking the Bootloader. If you Have Bootloader unlock Status = No you can still unlock your Bootloader via the Test Point method.

If you Unlock your phone with the Test Point method you will not have acces to Fastboot Mode, but you can still Flash Kernels via Flash Mode Using the FTF version
Please note this method only works for xplays made before a certain date. (can't remember exactly when but google will help)

Sent from my R800i using XDA Free mobile app

Grover2000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by korrectmethod View Post
Please note this method only works for xplays made before a certain date. (can't remember exactly when but google will help)

I have successfully done the test point via s1 tool method, but I'm not quite sure which version of JB to upload and how to my Xperia Play. Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to flash my phone?

Thanks in advance

Grover

korrectmethod
Old
Thanks Meter 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover2000 View Post
I have successfully done the test point via s1 tool method, but I'm not quite sure which version of JB to upload and how to my Xperia Play. Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to flash my phone?

Thanks in advance

Grover
Just read the instructions for whatever kernel you are using, and same with the rom you want to install.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=39047223

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 65
As above, follow the guide above. Since you unlocked via the testpoint and there's no fastboot, you need to have your kernels in a .ftf file format.

Here's a thread with download links to ftf kernels: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2739559

You will need to use flashtool to flash them. The JB ROM can then be flashed via recovery normally.

My Xperia PLAY was locked to O2 as well and testpoint unlocked, and these have been working fine for me so far... although for some reason my phone stopped working with ICS ROMs. GB and JB still works however.
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiraYahiroz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Grover2000
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone bricked.

I flashed the Lupus JB kernal and then entered recovery menu and deleted formatted and now it just a blank screen as if the phone is off yet plugging in the usb is recognised by computer yet flashtools and Sony companion can't repair or recognise.

Any ideas?

Grover

KiraYahiroz
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Exactly what did you delete/format under recovery? All I did was pick the factory reset option, then wiped cache and dalvik cache, and then flashed the ROM and worked fine for me. I'm using version 8 of the kernel however for the extra data space.

Here are the ftf files for the stock original Sony firmware, which you can use to restore your device if flashing goes wrong (.79 is the latest): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=2
HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3, Stock Kernel - Active
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4, Stock Kernel - Active
Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY - CyanogenMod 11.0, Android 4.4.4, CM 11.0 Kernel - Semi-Active