Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] Which wireless charging dock charges fastest & hack to increase it further?

OP KruseLudsMobile

24th October 2013, 05:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ridgewood, NJ
Thanks Meter: 38

651 posts
Donate to Me
More
Which wireless charging dock charges the fastest - and hack to increase that further?

Wireless charging pad and back cover both in stock here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...s+Charging+Pad

I have purchased from TigerDirect - many years ago - and they were reliable then. I presume the same is true now... They are I the US and have been in business a long time... I just ordered two charging docks from them.

Note: I have already ordered the wireless charging back cover from Verizon because I actually prefer OEM products and wanted to make sure it was from Verizon as I have the Verizon phone so I know it will be true OEM and work flawlessly...

But the questions still remain -

1. Which wireless charging dock charges the fastest?

and this may be applicable as well -

2. Does the number of winds in the coil in the back cover make a difference? Maybe doing a hack and increasing that would make a big difference in the charging speed? or would that just cause too much heat and Samsung has already safely maxed out the number of winds in the back cover coil? Or is that a combination of the output of the base and how much the coil in the back picks up due to that strength as well? Hmmm.....
Last edited by KruseLudsMobile; 24th October 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I want to subscribe to every email answering this question!
14th May 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #2  
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Wireless charging is really just a simple transformer, current goes in one coil and stimulates current in the other. If I remember my physics right (there's a chance I am wrong!) the windings won't change the current, just the voltage of the output.

Do remember that if your device uses the Qi charging standard the two charging circuits communicate (using backscatter modulation, this is done by changing the current on the Rx and Tx coils) and as such any changes to the coils may affect this communication causing them to cease functioning as they cannot adequately establish a connection.

I believe the only way to increase the charging speed is to increase the current provided by the wireless charger (which in turn will make things get warmer on both the Tx and Rx coils) if you have a look at the micro controller on your charging board and look up the spec sheet you might be able to change a resistor value to get it to supply more current but beware of excess heat as I mentioned earlier. It might not only fry your Tx Charger but also it could melt the fine wires on the Rx as well! You have an external one on the Samsung which is good (Nexus 5, if you blow that you're screwed!) but I'd still recommend buying a few cheap wireless charging kits off eBay whilst you experiment, that way you can hook up a multimeter and see if you're definitively getting more current.

My Qi charger takes a minimum of 2A current, so actually finding a power supply that can give more current will be your biggest issue. Most chargers only go up to 2A and although there are plenty of cheapies from asia around I'm a little sceptical of their output claims.

Someone more knowledgeable might be able to help more, my suggestion would be to tinker and get some science going!

Here's a few products if you like:

Qi Charger board - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qi-Wireless-...item338ca4f761

Qi Antennae - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nillkin-Qi-W...item4180b106f1

Alternatively - Qi Charger and antennae (says it can do 1A) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Cha...item338dc5a761

Not sure if these are the *best* (although I am buying the top one for a kit I am working on) have look on ebay to see if there are better parts etc. good luck!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
charger, charging, fastest charger, fastest wireless charger, wireless
Previous Thread Next Thread