Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 52,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Double tap to wake screen

Tip us?

khumash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Double tap to wake screen

Is "double tap to wake screen" available for Z2? This post [*1] says it's included in 4.4. My Z2 is with 4.4.2, but I can't find the setting to turn it on.

*1: fonearena.com/blog/97620/hands-on-with-sonys-android-4-4-ui-on-a-xperia-z2-double-tap-to-wake-gestures-and-more.html

Jackos
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by khumash View Post
Is "double tap to wake screen" available for Z2? This post [*1] says it's included in 4.4. My Z2 is with 4.4.2, but I can't find the setting to turn it on.

*1: fonearena.com/blog/97620/hands-on-with-sonys-android-4-4-ui-on-a-xperia-z2-double-tap-to-wake-gestures-and-more.html
Settings -> Display -> Tap to wake up
Read my reviews and editorials at ION!
"From my experience - it looks like the most popular ROMs have the worst memory management " - ultrashot

Primary: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503

Sold: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, HTC Sensation Z710e, HTC Touch Pro2 T7373 (Sold to Skrobel)

Haswell RIG: MSI Z87 MPOWER; Intel Core i7-4770K; Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz CL11 16GB; 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC ACX w/ backplate SLI; Intel SSD 530 Series 180GB + Samsung SSD EVO 840 250GB; 2x WDC Black 3TB RAID0; CHIEFTEC BPS-750C2; Fractal Design Define R3 w/ USB3; Logitech G700s + Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800; Samsung PX2370; Windows 8.1 RTM Genuine

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strommy1966
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khumash View Post

i find the double tap so frustrating ! i would say 9 times out of ten i cant get the screen to wake using this ! and it don't seem to matter where on the screen i tap or how hard , it just isn't very responsive. i use the button on the side now !

khumash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommy1966 View Post
i find the double tap so frustrating ! i would say 9 times out of ten i cant get the screen to wake using this ! and it don't seem to matter where on the screen i tap or how hard , it just isn't very responsive. i use the button on the side now !
Same here. Hopefully there will be a customized rom that can configure that double tap sensitivity level. The current range is too narrow, you can't tap too fast or too slow. So I usually just keep tapping 3-5 times until the screen unlocks. I use the button more often too.

Xernoxis
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Hmm that's weird. It almost always works the first time for me. I don't even tap hard. Do you tap fast enough?

khumash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Probably not fast enough. If I hold the phone with just one hand, usually my thumb is not fast enough.

Quasar83
Old
Thanks Meter 4
It does not matter how fast or hard you tap the screen. It almost never works here. Can anyone confirm if this can be fixed with a hard reset?

TheOnlyIntruder
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I've just toyed around with this tap to wake and I've noticed some things about how it works.

You have to tap in the same place (you can't tap in corner and then then the other corner) and the distance seems to have only half an finger width margin of erorr, you have to use a small area to tap, so you cant tap with your whole thumb for example, it works best with just a finger tip. It doesn't matter how hard you tap but timing is important and it's roughly the same speed as a typical double click on a mouse (the faster the double tap the better).

Using this method to wake the phone is pretty redundant I think, I prefer to use the power button.

Anyway hope this helps.
Phone History: -
Ericsson A1018s > Ericsson T20e > Nokia 3510i > Motorola V600 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K800i > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 > HTC Desire > HTC One X > Sony Xperia Z2 (Current)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyIntruder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Firov
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Personally I've had no problems with double tap to wake. You just have to remember to tap in exactly the same place, and at a moderate rate. If you tap too fast, it doesn't pick it up.

I do love the feature though. I use it to wake my phone up probably 80% of the time, especially when it's sitting flat on a desk. So much more convenient than hitting the power button.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

strommy1966
Old
Thanks Meter 7
i tap with my index finger in fairly rapid succession normally in the middle of the screen .. but as i have said before i find it works far less than it should ! if the phone is laying down on a hard surface it will work more often , but if i hold in one hand and tap with the other, it seems to fail .