Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 (2013) Take Apart Repair Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Default Nexus 7 (2013) Take Apart Repair Guide

Is the screen on your Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) cracked or broken? You can repair the screen or other internal parts and components with this in depth repair guide. The guide will take you through each crucial step that will be essential in effectively performing a successful and safe opening of your device and repair nearly any desired part.

This guide will aid your installation of the following Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) parts:
  • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD Screen Replacement
  • Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement

Essential Tools:
  • Safe Pry Opening Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
  • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Tear Down Guide:
  • In order to get started with the repair you will first need to completely power down your device.
  • After the device is powered down you can start separating the unit's back cover from the screen assembly and also the motherboard.
  • Due to the fact the two are sealed together very firmly on this model, it may be very advantageous to begin with a small knife to release the first clips.
  • Normally if you start on the side of the device you will find it to be the easiest route. Next step use your pry tool to wedge between the seams around the sides and corners of the device until the back cover detaches from the tablet. Also be sure not to pry near the USB port located on the base.

• After you have removed the back cover from the tablet, simply use your pry tool to release the battery connector which is found on the top right side of your device. This is done to be certain that the device is totally powered down.
  • Next you will use a Small Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the four (4) Small Phillips screws which are depicted in red in the figure below.
  • Also depicted below in the figure are the remaining flex cable connections which are colored green. Use your pry tool to release the flex cable connections. It is important to use caution and remove the connections while avoiding tearing any of the cables.
  • Once the flex cables are released, you will be able to carefully take out the battery and the housing it is located in.

• Now that the cables have been released you will be able to detach the five (5) connections colored in green below using your pry tool, as well as extract all the screws (seventeen of them) from both the top and bottom motherboard components using your Small Phillips screwdriver.
  • Something to be aware of is the fact that the Small Phillips screws are unequal in size so it will be very important to keep them separated to ensure that the screws are later placed in the correct spots.

• After you have removed the screws, you will then use your pry tool to take out the bottom motherboard component (Figure 3.1 ), along with the loud speaker underneath the motherboard (Figure 3.2).
  • You will find another connector under the loud speaker and using the pry tool can release it. Holding this part down is adhesive tape which needs to be cautiously removed (Figure 3.3) and this will make it possible to pull out the long orange flex cable.
  • Then using your pry tool carefully take out the top motherboard component. It is important to be certain all connections have been released from this piece to ensure that none of the flex cables release while you remove the motherboard.
  • Following the removal of the top motherboard component, you will then be able to remove the top speaker underneath it, which is displayed in Figure 3.5.
  • The last part you will need to extract from the housing is the button flex cable found on the left side. Using your pry tool, lightly press against this cable in order to release the cable that is bound to the housing with adhesive (Figure 3.6). After this piece is removed it will be possible to begin taking the glass touch screen off of the the housing.

• Prior to taking off the screen, you will need to use a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer to heat up the sides and corners of the device for approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute, this will make sure the tablet is not excessively heated. Once the device is heated up the adhesive that holds the screen together will noticeably loosen.
  • Next, after the sides and corners have been heated up, use your pry tool to shim in between the housing and the screen assembly, and be sure to run the tool around the sides of the entire device.
  • Finally, substitute in the new parts while discarding damaged parts and simply reverse these steps in order to reassemble your device back together.

RepairsUniverse's Repair Guides are for informational and learning purposes only. Perform this repair at your own risk.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Cool guide! This will be useful not only for general repairs, but also for those of us who want to do hard-mods.

Now I just have to buy one. The end of the month can't come fast enough...

player911
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 907

DONATE TO ME
Taking the back cover off looks to be a pain and almost impossible without doing damage. They are very well built.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,837
This guide is excellent.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kgraves22
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Well, it happened. Screen broke just by setting it down face-up on the pavement. These devices are incredibly fragile.

Is there any retailer that currently sells the replacement glass/digitizer? I am not thrilled to pay more than I paid for the device to have it repaired ($208!)

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraves22 View Post
Well, it happened. Screen broke just by setting it down face-up on the pavement. These devices are incredibly fragile.

Is there any retailer that currently sells the replacement glass/digitizer? I am not thrilled to pay more than I paid for the device to have it repaired ($208!)
We're expecting to receive parts for this device. Check back with us soon.
Repair Technician

The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kushman87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Orange cable

Hey this is sweet! In figure 3.3 I am curious to know what that flex cable is for. Thanks.

kgraves22
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
We're expecting to receive parts for this device. Check back with us soon.

Awesome. Is there any possibility you can give me a rough estimate for the part and for full repair? I am subscribing to this thread so I will be looking for your reply when the parts become available. Thank you very much.

By the way, if you ever need information on parts, flashing, or programming for Cricket Communications, I am your man!

Thank you so very much, I've had this device for 10 days and I'm pretty much devastated.

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraves22 View Post
Awesome. Is there any possibility you can give me a rough estimate for the part and for full repair? I am subscribing to this thread so I will be looking for your reply when the parts become available. Thank you very much.

By the way, if you ever need information on parts, flashing, or programming for Cricket Communications, I am your man!

Thank you so very much, I've had this device for 10 days and I'm pretty much devastated.
I'll have a better idea when we get the parts in. I'll try and keep you updated or you can visit my website from the link in my signature.
Repair Technician

The Following User Says Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

combres
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
I'll have a better idea when we get the parts in. I'll try and keep you updated or you can visit my website from the link in my signature.

Did you ever get parts? I need to order a new screen and digitizer for 2nd gen nexus 7.
Thanks

Tags
nexus 7, nexus 7 2013, nexus 7 2013 screen replacement, nexus 7 2nd gen, nexus 7 repair