[Q] 5158N replaced with 5158N.. no joy

OP CompJock

6th March 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I decided to learn tablets..so I took on a TF300T repair for a friend to start learning.Looks like this TF300T was the wrong choice.

Background.

TF300T Original digi was shattered and was barley working. possible ghost touches
Andriod 4.2.1
Original Digi 5158N FPC-1 06WW 2010 on the sticker JA-DA5158N-IBB 18140-10120500

I did check a few post before I bought a digitizer saw the issues with mixing different versions. So I went with an ebay digi from china with the 5158 model. I received the new on visual inspection it looks exactly the same. New Digi revived no white label but printed in small black ink on the new digi says 5158 12.28 D4\ 11205019701012D. At the bottom in white ink it says 5158N FPC-1 06WW 1225. seems like a match

I replaced the cracked screen went pretty smoothly. I put double sided tape on the digitizer plastic frame after cleaning the old junk off. I did not remove the top cover from the new tape,I just put the unit back together without screw so I could make sure it worked the plan was to test, re tear down then glue/tape the new digitizer down after I tested. Well I get no touch after the 5158N to 5158N swap.

unit loaded the first time and updated the camera firmware but not the touch

I did check the fuse on the main PCB around the LCD/touch connectors and found no burning.

the first time I powered the unit up with the new digi the screen jitterd a bit but no touch. after resetting the cables still no touch. the jitters stopped.. So at this point I ordered a USB adapter to connect a mouse.

This morning I received the mouse connector. went into settings it said. Touchpanel version ELAN-3011-4822 Kernal version 3.1.10-g215ac8bf

Also had a message about DMClient has stopped on first boot. went away after a few reboots.

Today I tried a cold boot after reading some post. It booted up showing the three icons RK/ANDRIOD/WIPE.. up at the top I got the following line:

andriod cardhu-user bootloader <1.00 e> released by "U5_epad-10.6.1.27.5-20130902" A03
key driver not found...booting 05
starting Fastboot USB download protocol

at this point in the cold boot booting the mouse and keyboard seem to be unresponsive. If I hit vol up I get booting kernal recovery image then i get an android logo and big error message sits there and then boots up normal.Still no touch.

After 1st cold boot I went back to check the touchpanel version and now it says ELAN-0000-0000 the Kernal version is a tad different now its 3.1.100-G215ae8bf

Is this normal and Ive missed something? Could it not be working because I ave not glued the new 5158 to the plastic frame?

Do i need to root the device then flash the touch firmware? Seems to me that it should have just accepted the new 5158 and worked that's why i spent the extra cash to avoid this kind of issue.

Any words of wisdom from some TF300T gurus would be a big help!
Last edited by CompJock; 6th March 2014 at 08:55 PM.
6th March 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Forgot to mention at the time i replaced the touch digitizer I did not know to turn the service switch off. the battery was drained as it had ran down to nothing because I could not touch the power off. hopefully this didn't screw me?
7th March 2014, 05:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 118

523 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompJock

Forgot to mention at the time i replaced the touch digitizer I did not know to turn the service switch off. the battery was drained as it had ran down to nothing because I could not touch the power off. hopefully this didn't screw me?

Barring any hardware malfunction, the only way to find out is to root the thing and flash the firmware anew through ADB. This issue has been discussed so many times, it hardly warrants a new thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to graphdarnell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphdarnell

Barring any hardware malfunction, the only way to find out is to root the thing and flash the firmware anew through ADB. This issue has been discussed so many times, it hardly warrants a new thread.

Thanks for the response. I apologize for the new thread, most of the other threads seem to deal with swapping mis matched digitizers and then flashing the rom. I thought because mine was an exact digitizer match it may be a different situation. i was just hoping that my experience had rung a bell and someone may point out my error.

At this point I'm pretty sure its not hardware the microsd card reader that shares the touch digitizer board works. and the touch ELAN chanaged to 0000-0000 only after I did a cold boot.
18th May 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #5  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 58

181 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompJock

Thanks for the response. I apologize for the new thread, most of the other threads seem to deal with swapping mis matched digitizers and then flashing the rom. I thought because mine was an exact digitizer match it may be a different situation. i was just hoping that my experience had rung a bell and someone may point out my error.

At this point I'm pretty sure its not hardware the microsd card reader that shares the touch digitizer board works. and the touch ELAN chanaged to 0000-0000 only after I did a cold boot.

Hi, i have the exact same issue. Also the system/etc/firmware/touch folder does not exist. I made it and put inside fw. The device whenever reboots it doesnt automatically update fw from the touch folder as it should. Through adb shell i always get error. Seems like the mobo not recognising digitizer. I also put the old broken one and still the same ELAN-0000-0000 i also forgot the off switch but i cant find any "weird" coil. Any help would be appreciated. I have read the other thread and learned a lot but nothing specific to this problem. Also my micro sd port was not working and i really thought was the pcb, but then i manually updated to the latest asus fw (from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1) and instantly micro sd works. When it wan on 4.1.1 i could find the touch folder and 04-3021-7038.ekt was inside (no label digitizer was the broken one and the new i bought as well). After the 4.2.1 update the touch folder disappeared and had to remake it. Tried with 04-3021-7038 and 02-3011-4820
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread